ORU's New Logo

vcboy2000

oru_home_a_03.gif

They got some new policies to go with the new look too. If you get a chance check out the website. http://www.oru.edu It's still a work in progress, but it's looking good so far.

I haven't talked to any of my friends still at ORU about this yet, but I believe students are allowed to wear jeans now.

I haven't talked to any of my friends still at ORU about this yet, but I believe students are allowed to wear jeans now.

say WHAT?

students currently aren't allowed to wear jeans?

;kasdfj;aksdjf;aksdj;f ajbdflbnsbcvlkjauyer t;paouy

That was correct VuCru. Previously, ORU had a business casual dress code (no jeans) for students while attending class and chapel services.

Front page article in today's Tulsa World. Amazing what they think deserves front page space???

ORU president gives thumbs up to dressing down

By APRIL MARCISZEWSKI World Staff Writer

1/14/2006

Richard Roberts says students can now wear jeans and flip-flops.

When Oral Roberts University students rolled out of bed Friday morning, some put on jeans.

This is at the school that long required women to wear skirts or dresses and men to wear ties and slacks. This is at the school where a dress code will never go out of style.

But President Richard Roberts proved this week that even a Christian school with strict ideas of modesty can change with the times.

In chapel Wednesday, he surprised students when he said they could immediately begin wearing jeans, sweatshirts, tennis shoes and flip-flops. Men could wear their shirts untucked. Women could wear strapless formal gowns. Everyone could wear sweatpants, T-shirts and hats to the cafeteria by the dorms.

In a roar of cheers, students gave the president a standing ovation.

Heather Thomas, Student Association president, said she saw men untucking their shirts as Roberts spoke.

On Friday, freshman Jessica McCrae sat on a bench waiting for class to start. She wore dark jeans, a pink T-shirt and an olive-green hoodie.

She definitely broke the old dress code earlier this week.

"I think everybody did." She didn't go so far as to wear jeans to class, but she did slip on a T-shirt instead of a blouse. Ironing really got old.

McCrae gushed over the possibility of wearing jeans every day. "Shout out to P-Rob," she said.

The changes started when ORU did a study on how outsiders viewed the university, Roberts said. The study recommended changing the dress code, which had already been tweaked over the years.

As of about three years ago, men no longer had to wear ties, and women got the nod to wear pants.

In October, Roberts pulled together a committee of students, faculty and staff to make recommendations. He surveyed parents and alumni. He prayed and consulted his wife for the changes that were "probably overdue."

Jeff Ogle, vice president for student services, started talking to students, and he noticed they thought the dress code consisted of arbitrary rules. They didn't see the underlying principles of dressing modestly, professionally and appropriately for whatever situation they were in.

Ogle transferred to ORU in 1983, and he remembers learning to get up when his alarm clock rang, regardless of how late he stayed up the night before. He couldn't wear his pajamas to class or pull a ball cap over his hair. He had to make himself look presentable -- just like he did several years later when he entered the work force.

He thinks students still need to learn that lesson, and he's not sure they'd learn it without a dress code.

But ORU's rules had fallen out of sync with fashion designers' creations. Plus, Thomas said, students don't use clothing as a form of rebellion anymore like hippies did when ORU opened.

"We were looking kind of old-fashioned," she said.

This week, just as many students stuck to the old dressy attire as those who flashed their fashion sense.

Freshman Tylre Butler wore a white-and-black-striped button-down shirt, black tie, black slacks and dress shoes.

"I like to dress up on chapel days," he said. "I like to look nice, I guess."

Thomas, a senior, didn't like the idea of changing the dress code at first. She saw it as an elemental aspect of ORU. But then she saw everyone caught up in, "Is this pant considered a jean? What if this shirt becomes untucked?"

"What we need to be known for is not rules and regulations -- it's relationships," she said.

Roberts sees the changes as major assets to recruiting new students. He wants to influence the student who wore jeans every day of high school, but he can't if that student never considers ORU.

The new rules are minimums, and the university still expects students to dress up for class presentations. Faculty and staff got new dress guidelines, too, but on Friday many of the men stuck to wearing ties.

Amy Runyon, a senior, thinks the changes lower ORU's standards. Clothing "affects your behavior a lot," she said. It also affects the way students are treated -- as professionals or miscreants.

"I tend to look younger than I am," she said. "If I dress younger, I'll get treated like I'm still in high school."

But on Friday, Runyon wore jeans with her button-down shirt and burnt-orange sweater vest. Why? Because the opportunity presented itself.

;kasdfj;aksdjf;aksdj;f ajbdflbnsbcvlkjauyer t;paouy

vucru, what language is your post in? Is that Wookie?

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.

--Mark Twain

Great Clemens quote VR. I'm glad to see we're finally entering the 20th century at ORU... but in all honesty the new marketing effort looks very impressive. I'd be interested to find out who's behind it.

vucru, what language is your post in? Is that Wookie?

ha, that was "flabbergastion" which may, in itself, not even be a real word, but I hope it communicates my thought.

I can see the value of business casual, but I speak from experience in that there's something to be said for rolling out of bed and directly into class. I'm glad flip flips/jeans, etc can now be worn over there. It's basically a college staple and in my opinion, an inherent right of college students everywhere.

My inside sources tell me that there is a lot more that will be unveiled in the marketing aspect of the identity of the university. A "phase 2" part of the project that will be seen around campus in the coming months.

I'm not sure the source of your misinformation, but when I was a student ('88-'93...yeah, I crammed it into five years), I wore jeans ("legally") to class and chapel. At that time the girls were not allowed to wear jeans (or pants of any kind for that matter-they had to wear dresses/skirts); but even that old restriction has been somewhat eased. The dress code at ORU has only relaxed over the last two decades...

Great Clemens quote VR. I'm glad to see we're finally entering the 20th century at ORU... but in all honesty the new marketing effort looks very impressive. I'd be interested to find out who's behind it.

Marketing techniques are very popular today within the evangelical church and evangelical universities. While being way behind the culture in marketing experience, they are catching up. Some think, (primarily Reformed and some Lutheran and some within the Catholic Church), as it relates specifically to the church, that this attempt to, in their words, "sell or market Jesus", blurs the distinction between being in the world and of the world. This issue is widely discussed in academia and among Christian theologians. And not too few evangelicals have become very defensive, especially the mega-churches, some of whom decided to take Christmas Sunday off like everyone else in the world so that families could be together, etc.

But I think its fair game to market one's university as slickly as possible to bring in students. It will be interesting to see what comes out of this for your university. In other words, is there something that the powers that be are not comfortable with concerning the image of ORU? Is this an overhaul or just a paint job? Does it think it's too stodgy or backwards in today's culture given it's Christian heritage? I don't know but this is interesting.

I'm not sure the source of your misinformation, but when I was a student ('88-'93...yeah, I crammed it into five years), I wore jeans ("legally") to class and chapel. At that time the girls were not allowed to wear jeans (or pants of any kind for that matter-they had to wear dresses/skirts); but even that old restriction has been somewhat eased. The dress code at ORU has only relaxed over the last two decades...

Misinformation? Jeans were taken away at the start of the Fall 2004 semester, a year after we were allowed to wear collared shirts w/out ties if we wore dress pants. The new changes brings up the possible combo of jeans and shirts w/out a tie.

I watched the address that President Roberts gave in chapel online. He reiterated again and again that his stance on the issue is that he "is married to principles, not methods".

He stated that university is dedicated to it's founding purpose. And also referenced the statement that Rev. Billy Graham made at the dedication of ORU that if the university ever strayed from it's founding purpose of faith in God and the Bible that may God put a curse on it. I don't think they feel the Christian heritage is backwards at all. It is still very much at the core of the marketing strategy and new identity the university is implementing.

President Roberts stated that the rules the university set forth came from various reasons. Some were Biblical, some were just common sense, and others were cultural. A specific dress code is one that I would consider cultural. We don't wear the long clerical black gowns to class that were associated with academians and clerics in the 1200's through the early 19th Century. Times change. And it is possible to change with them without adjusting a world view or values. I applaude them for doing what I thought would be impossible.

To keep this in the context of the basketball thread: I heard that the marketing firm that did the research and is helping spear head the new identity, came up with a new eagle mascot for the athletic department that Mike Carter did not like. It looks like Eli is here to stay.