Can This Team Go 10-2 In Mid-Con The Rest Of The Way?

Guest EagleBackr

Guest EagleBackr

...gotta figure Valpo will not lose another home conference game after the UMKC debacle, and will probably only lose roadies at ORU and at one other place (UMKC or IUPUI most likely). That means Golden Eagles must go 10-2 from this point to finish in 13-3 first place tie. Can we do it with our present team and the schedule we have the rest of the way? Doubtful - even if we manage to win all our home games, we still have roadies at IUPUI, Oakland and UMKC, plus at very capable Western Illinois. Best case scenario right now would be going 12-4 or 11-5 while holding off IUPUI and UMKC for 2nd place. Ken Tutt comes back in the Mid-Con tournament for the sole purpose of making clutch free throws after drawing fouls handling the ball the last two minutes of games!

I'm going with the cup half full concept.

Valpo has NEVER won at Mabee. So far this season we have been the team with the most major injuries. Everyone else's luck has to run out sooner or later.

I for one am just glad the team is home to practice, regroup and rest up for awhile. That 10,000 miles would be wearing on any road warrior.

Guest EagleBackr
I'm going with the cup half full concept....Valpo has NEVER won at Mabee

Hey, I'm being POSITIVE, too! I said in my post I was giving us all home wins, which would include beating Valpo (certainly never a gimme), and UMKC (who I don't think we've beaten at home this millennium). The "cup half empty" approach would be to say we lose those two and go .500 on the road for a 10-6 record and a 4th or 5th place finish. A record of 12-4 or 11-5 is looking pretty good to me right now, all things considered...

Can they go 10-2? Yes. Will they? I doubt it. I'm thinking 10-6 is where we'll finish in conference, should be good enough for a #3 seed or so (hopefully).

Caleb, Larry, and Mickey are gonna hafta shoulder the load for us to keep winning and our guards hafta start hitting SOME of their shots for crying out loud. And yes, tough D would help as well.

Otherwise we'll hafta use our SECRET WEAPON -

mr_randy_watson.jpg

Mr. Raaanndy Waaaaatson!

TEN AND SIX???? WHAT???

Please identify who you think we will lose to. If I'm figuring right you don't think we'll win any other road games, or we will lose some at home.

PLEASE help me understand where you're coming from!

Losses @ UMKC, IUPUI, Oakland, and 2 at home. I hope I'm wrong and that we win more, but our guard play really sucks right now. If teams make Caleb the focal point of their defense. How many do you think we'll win if they do that and no one else steps it up?

ANYTHING more than a home loss to Valpo (not saying I expect it, just willing to consider it) would be a disaster.

I don't think there's any way we lose to UMKC this year (of course, I've thought that before).

IUPUI on the road, possibly. We'll know better after tonight. We went 2-0 against them last year.

Oakland - http://www.kenpom.com/sked.php?team=Chicago%20St. Enough said.

I'd be SHOCKED with a record of less than 12-4. I guess we'll see.

I understand the frustration, Adder, but this team is not THAT bad, and the Mid-Con is weak. We've already completed three of the difficult road games, and I believe we'll be able to hold the "home court advantage".

My biggest concerns are the two games with UMKC, as the current level of our guard play will be a huge matchup liability aginst the Roos. I still believe 13-3 is realistic, and a worst-case 12-4 should still get us a #2 seed. In either case, we enter the tourney at the UMAC with a healthy roster, a rest between first and secound round games, and an excellent chance at a NCAA bid. What more could we ask for?

I understand the frustration, Adder, but this team is not THAT bad, and the Mid-Con is weak. We've already completed three of the difficult road games, and I believe we'll be able to hold the "home court advantage".

I don't know what others from Valpo think about your team but I still think they are very good. Just because we beat you soundly doesn't mean that we should take you lightly. It does mean that we were the better team that night and could be the better team when we play you again but I don't think anyone is going to take you lightly. You still have a very dangerous team. And I was orgasmic that we kicked your butt. I don't know why it feels so much better beating ORU than any other team in the conference but it does. :wink:

I don't know why it feels so much better beating ORU than any other team in the conference but it does.

That's what good rivalries are all about, Rick! Frankly, I take this as a compliment. Valpo and ORU are the only two teams that should have ANY opportunity to represent the Mid-Con in the NCAA tourney this year.

You did soundly beat us Monday night, and we'll do our best to return the favor in February AND March.

That's what good rivalries are all about, Rick! Frankly, I take this as a compliment. Valpo and ORU are the only two teams that should have ANY opportunity to represent the Mid-Con in the NCAA tourney this year.

You did soundly beat us Monday night, and we'll do our best to return the favor in February AND March.

I'm not sure about being the only two. I haven't seen IUPUI and UMKC showed they can beat us anytime they want. Certainly ORU and Valpo have the best TEAMS from what I've seen so far. Others may have one or two stars but that's all. You guys would be killers if Tutt was healthy. But hey, we went through the same thing last year. If Ali, if Kenny, etc.

It's going to be fun to watch this year. I might even make the trip to Tulsa this year with my son Ryan. We'll see.

Jeez, we shot 69% from the field tonight? The numbers show we hit 1 more FG than ooey-pooey, but attempted 17 less shots. It's not realistic to think that the team can do this every night, but dang, it gives me a lot more hope for the rest of the season.

Guest Rob Marshall

If we don't go 12-4 in the Mid Con (with or without Tutt), we have under-achieved. We're talking about road trips to Kansas City to play the Roos NOT the Jayhawks in Lawrence, to Indy to play IUPUI NOT the Hoosiers, and to Detroit to play Oakland NOT Michigan State.