2009 Opponents

Mike Minyard

Found this today...

Crazy Cougars

With fall workouts nearing, many 2009 schedules are beginning to trickle in. Washington State has a schedule that definitely caught my attention. The Cougars begin the season with a three-game series at Arkansas. They also play a three-game home series against Oklahoma, while traveling to Long Beach State for a three-game set in mid-March. The Cougars will also play in the Rice University Tournament, which includes Rice, Washington State, Notre Dame and Oral Roberts. Like many West Coast schools, the Cougars are committed to playing a tough non-conference schedule.

http://collegebaseball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=831522

Good find, Mike - and a great tournament opportunity for the Eagles!  At this rate, we may have our baseball schedule figured out before the basektball schedule is released!  :-o

I would live to see our boys get a shot at Rice....i like how Walton is unafraid to take on any of the big boys in our early season schedule...i guess it's important for our RPI considering all the dogs like SUU we have to play near the end..... :-D

• 2 weeks later...

add cal state fullerton to the schedule...

Titans Unveil 2009 Baseball Schedule

33 of the 55 games will be played against 2008 NCAA Regional teams.

"Cal State Fullerton baseball players and fans have grown accustomed to the Titans playing one of the toughest schedules in the country - and this coming season will be no different," said Serrano.

"This year we are getting a different taste of things with the Oklahoma State's and the Oral Roberts' in the mix, but a schedule like this will only help us prepare for our immediate goal of winning the Big West Conference and ultimately a national championship."

The Titans will see USC on St. Patrick's Day (Mar. 17) to kick off a four-game home stand that leads into a Thursday, Friday, Saturday, series with Oral Roberts (Mar. 19-21). The two teams have met just once back in 1984 at the Riverside Baseball Invitational at UC Riverside where The Titans defeated the then-No. 15 Golden Eagles, 5-4.

http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/stories/081108aaj.html

very nice....TheEagleman likes it....Coach Walton again showing that he has a pair...... :-D

• 2 months later...

The Longhorns' 52-game schedule features 35 home games on 32 home dates.

AUSTIN, Texas -- The Texas Longhorns 2009 baseball schedule will feature 52 games, including 35 home games on 32 home dates, head coach Augie Garrido announced on Wednesday.

The Longhorns also have non-conference home games scheduled against UT Arlington (Feb. 24), Baylor (March 11), Dallas Baptist (March 25), Oral Roberts (March 31), TCU (April 7), Texas A&M Corpus Christi (April 14-15), Texas Southern (May 6) and Alabama A&M (doubleheader on May 16).

http://www.texassports.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/102208aaa.html

They have Baylor (March 11) listed as a non-conference game.... obviously Baylor is in the Big 12.

that does seem odd....it may be a mid week game that does not count towards conference standings

I would imagine that the 2009 schedule should be released shortly, huh?... :|

Here's what I have been able to piece together of our 2009 schedule based on my research this evening:

2/20 Western Michigan

2/21 Western Michigan

2/22 Western Michigan

2/26 UT - San Antonio

2/27 UT - San Antonio

2/28 UT - San Antonio

3/6  Notre Dame @ Rice University Tournament

3/7  Washington State @ Rice University Tournament

3/8  @ Rice

3/12 @ Dallas Baptist

3/13 @ Dallas Baptist

3/14 @ Dallas Baptist

3/19 @ Cal State Fullerton

3/20 @ Cal State Fullerton

3/21 @ Cal State Fullerton

3/24 Wichita State

3/27 @ Missouri State

3/28 Missouri State (JLJ)

3/29 Missouri State (JLJ)

3/31 @ Texas

4/3  IPFW

4/4  IPFW (DH)

4/5  IPFW

4/7  UT - Arlington

4/10 South Dakota State

4/11 South Dakota State (DH)

4/12 South Dakota State

4/14 Arkansas - Little Rock

4/17 Centenary

4/18 Centenary (DH)

4/19 Centenary

4/21 Arkansas

4/24 @ North Dakota State

4/25 @ North Dakota State (DH)

4/26 @ North Dakota State

4/28 Wichita State (JLJ)

4/29 @ Wichita State

5/1  Southern Utah

5/2  Southern Utah (DH)

5/3  Southern Utah

5/5  @ Wichita State

5/8  @ Oakland

5/9  @ Oakland (DH)

5/10 @ Oakland

5/12 @ Arkansas

5/15 @ Western Illinois

5/16 @ Western Illinois (DH)

5/17 @ Western Illinois

I'm definitely missing some key weekends as all of the schedules are not out.  The bad news is that we don't have games with Oklahoma State (no surprise), TCU, Baylor, Houston, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Kansas, Kansas State, Nebraska, BYU, LeMoyne, Bethune-Cookman or South Alabama (teams that we have played in the past).  We probably play Wichita State (hopefully home-and-home), but their schedule is not out.  It would be a natural for us to continue our home-and-home series with Eagleman's favorite team, Dallas Baptist, since they made the Tournament last year.  Hopefully their schedule will come out soon, too.

It's possible that one of the first two weekends in the season will be a tournament in Texas (UTA or UTSA), but I would prefer a home weekend series with a quality opponent (the second weekend) and a good D-II weekend series in the first weekend to get the team comfortable with their positions.

Good Stuff.....and yes, TheEagleman wants a piece of Dallas Baptist.... :-D

Here our some other opponents for the 2009 schedule:

2/20 Western Michigan

2/21 Western Michigan

2/22 Western Michigan

2/27 UTSA

2/28 UTSA

2/29 UTSA

3/12 @Dallas Baptist

3/13 @Dallas Baptist

3/14 @Dallas Baptist

3/24 Wichita State

3/28 Missouri State

3/29 Missouri State

4/3  IPFW

4/4  IPFW

4/5  IPFW

4/7  UTA

4/14 UALR

4/28 Wichita State

4/29 @Wichita State

5/5  @Wichita State

5/15 @Western Illinois

5/16 @Western Illinois

5/17 @Western Illinois

I know that two mid-week games are still to be added on, curious to see who the opponent will be.

At Dallas Baptist for 3.....TheEagleman is pleased....also that we are home the final weekend of February when TheEagleman is contemplating a long awaited trip to Tulsa...... :-)

I count 55 games (including the Summit DH's, some of which are not noted).  Is the maximum schedule 58 games?  If so, we're very close to nailing it... before the schedule is "released". :roll:

I count 55 games (including the Summit DH's, some of which are not noted).  Is the maximum schedule 58 games?  If so, we're very close to nailing it... before the schedule is "released". :roll:

Good catch on the DH's, JB.  You're right that we're close to nailing the schedule.  The thing that is bad for ORU is that with this schedule, our "Senior Day" is an early May 3rd.  A lot of games before the end of the season.  Hopefully we can find a mid-week home game prior to the Summit League Tournament (which I don't believe is in Tulsa this year).

We have a lot of home games early - that is good. I suspect we will add some mid-week games with some Big 12 opponents....