TU message board predicts BLOWOUT!

oruvoice

Just read on the TU message board and MANY of them are calling for a 15 point, 20 point, 30 point BLOWOUT or more over ORU this season!

Some even say that TU will be able to "name it's score" over us this year and that we may not score 45 points on them.

It's July and they are FOAMING at the mouth over ORU! And to think, they always say they aren't concerned about us or that we aren't a HUGE rival to them?!?!?!?  :?

YEAH?  Not a whole lot of message board real estate being wasted over the ORU/TU game over here.

And that's about all I have to say about it.

YEAH?  Not a whole lot of message board real estate being wasted over the ORU/TU game over here.

And that's about all I have to say about it.

Thank you, Forrest Gump.  :wink:

I've never seen an opponent's fans get so worked up about ORU one moment, then try so hard to act like they don't care the next moment!

TU is a fascinating prospect this year:  two VERY talented players in Uzoh and Jordan who, for some reason, have never done much against us (actually, there is a reason:  the defense of Shawn King, Yemi Ugunoye, and Adam Liberty).  After those two, however, a LOT of question marks, beginning at point guard, where they will be relying on a relatively unheralded juco transfer right from the start (sound familiar?).

If Jordan and Uzoh can become consistent big-time contributors, TU should win 20+ and contend for an at-large NCAA berth out of C-USA.  But, if the point guard spot remains unsettled, and the two big guns don't produce night in and night out, TU may have trouble going .500 against what looks like a killer schedule.

While TU has two talented players returning, their remaining lineup is not as settled. As OT mentioned, a lot will depend upon the play of an untested (D-1) point guard. They could be very good - and will be difficult to beat on their home court.

Hard to know how ORU will look - especially early in the season. We will also have an untested point guard. On paper we should be talented - but how will the team chemistry work? Will the new guys play tough defense? Lots of questions to be answered.

TU should be much improved this year and the game should be close at their place.  It will definately depend on how Uzoh and Jordan play plus how our new recruits play together.  I think with the core we have now and our coaching staff we should have the edge and come out with a W, but it should be an exciting game.

Thank you, Forrest Gump.  :wink:

I've never seen an opponent's fans get so worked up about ORU one moment, then try so hard to act like they don't care the next moment!

TU is a fascinating prospect this year:  two VERY talented players in Uzoh and Jordan who, for some reason, have never done much against us (actually, there is a reason:  the defense of Shawn King, Yemi Ugunoye, and Adam Liberty).  After those two, however, a LOT of question marks, beginning at point guard, where they will be relying on a relatively unheralded juco transfer right from the start (sound familiar?).

If Jordan and Uzoh can become consistent big-time contributors, TU should win 20+ and contend for an at-large NCAA berth out of C-USA.  But, if the point guard spot remains unsettled, and the two big guns don't produce night in and night out, TU may have trouble going .500 against what looks like a killer schedule.

Seems like you guys jump started a lot of the discussion, though I'll admit our guy started the thread.

Uzoh scored 20 on ORU last year (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/boxscore;_ylt=AqzLCy814QdKEQgCCTU9E9YOvbYF?gid=200711270448) and 18 the year before that (http://tulsa.rivals.com/bboxscore.asp?Game=23793).  You're right, Jordan didn't do much against you the last two years, other than dunk on King at the end of the '06 game.  But, keep in mind he was supposed to redshirt '06-'07 and was playing pretty poorly at the beginning of last year -- and I admit you guys made him look bad.  In fact, I think I said last year around the time when we played you (on this board) that our whole season hinged on his development.  He got much better over th course of last year and is considered an NBA prospect.

If I remember right, King didn't match up well with Jordan, but Lewis really pushed him around.  Jordan improved against smaller, quicker players over the course of the year.  Also, it seemed like Yemi pretty much blew up our perimeter game other than Uzoh last year -- he didn't play the year before that.

Three starters are back from last year's team: Uzoh, Jordan, and Ray Reese.  ASHvid even thinks Reese will be really good next year and possibly lead the team in scoring.  The questions are at the point and the other big spot.  I'm not sure how our point guard play can get worse than the last couple of years, but I've been saying the same thing about our football defense for next year.    Walls will be tough to replace, but his two early bad fouls won't be missed.

Some of our fans are just bored and looking for something to get worked up about.  It's really slow right now on there.  We even have another parking garage thread going.

Perhaps it should be more accurately stated that Uzoh has never done anything against ORU when it mattered.

Last year, Uzoh scored five points in the first five minutes of the game, while TU spurted out to an 11-point lead; he then scored one the rest of the half in 19 minutes of playing time, while Robert Jarvis and Moses Ehambe went off from the perimeter, for a 38-27 ORU halftime lead.  Uzoh proceeded to score the rest of his points during a second half in which ORU led by double-digits and was never threatened.  Here's a link to the first and second half box scores, along with the play-by-play, with all the details:

ORU 84, Tulsa 70

In '06, Uzoh had just 4 points in 14 minutes of the first half, while Darold Crow (5-of-7, 11 points) and a host of others overwhelmed ORU for a 34-20 halftime lead; Uzoh again scored all his points during an insignificant second half.  Here's the box:

Tulsa 75, ORU 57

Bottom line:  garbage points, pure and simple.

You said Uzoh never did anything against ORU.  It wasn't true.  Uzoh always scores in spurts.

I think you are really off about the '06 game; he was the go-to-guy down the stretch and did a good job of getting to the line.  That was the game where Haisten said he was our best player in the article the next day.  http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=061129_Sp_B1_Winah5107

Uzoh has a good all around game and doesn't always have to score to make a difference.  He's one of the best defenders in CUSA (Wojcik says he is the best), rebounds very well for a guard (he was our leading rebounder for the first several games last year), and he did a fine job against Tutt  on defense in '06.

I think you're grasping at straws on Uzoh.

Jordan didn't get into the game until the final minutes in '06 and played like a stiff in '07 after they pulled King.  He did finish with OK numbers in '07 (15 pts, 6 rebounds, 3 bocks), but I don't think his performance can be determined by stats. He stunk on defense that night, at least by his normal standards.  The whole team played poorly, other than Uzoh, who in my book did everything he could.  McDade was also bad with the five turnovers.  Our poor start last year remains a constant mystery and source of criticism for Wojcik among the diehards.

We should have won talent wise two years ago at TU and got totally embarrissed. My guess is, even with a great team this year, ORU will have a tough time winning there this year.

But... We're not all that concerned about that game. Not enough to talk about it this early...wait. I guess we are talking about it now.  Oh well.

Hardy har har....i'm sure it WILL be tough for a totally new ORU squad to walk into TU's building and beat an outstanding team...i would expect Tulsa to be strong this season building on that HUGE end of season tournament win (whatever it was called) against a bunch of other .500 teams....TU has always had ORU envy since the 70's....sorry but they suck....i can't stand it....i would even say FU TU but i won't....i will leave that for Wakeflip1 who is already -5....i guess i will now be at least that..... :-D

Hardy har har....i'm sure it WILL be tough for a totally new ORU squad to walk into TU's building and beat an outstanding team...i would expect Tulsa to be strong this season building on that HUGE end of season tournament win (whatever it was called) against a bunch of other .500 teams....TU has always had ORU envy since the 70's....sorry but they suck....i can't stand it....i would even say FU TU but i won't....i will leave that for Wakeflip1 who is already -5....i guess i will now be at least that..... :-D

Yeah, we were really envious of ORU those years you were in the NAIA . . . :lol:

Lighten up, Eagleman, or we'll have to edit you :wink:!

Now this is the type of rivalry that will get the fans out.  TU gets a half-way decent team together and they start blowing hot air.  Our "Golden" team will prevail.

(sniff sniff) what is that smell? aww man flush the toilet, PU TU!

Tulsa has 2 All Conference type guys and good role players so they will be tough to  beat at Tulsa this year.

I would feel better if Ford was eligible for this game. I think he is the type that gives Jordan fits.

Hopefully ORU will shoot the ball well and Guyton will do a good job protecting the ball and we will see how it works out.

At least it is something to talk about in the middle of July!!

Even though TU may be pretty good next year in time, wouldn't it be safe to say we have a better chance of winning at TU in November, than later in the season @ Creighton, @ Oakland, @ IUPUI and @ North Dakota State?

If we're going to steal any road games next year, the one just across town represents a great opportunity.

You're right, it's hard to know how we will start out.

Hopefully our Vancouver trip works out some of the kinks.  The only player to my knowledge to immediately succeed in Wojcik's system was Uzoh.  Everyone else took some time to get used to it.