Re: Van Kirk

Mike Minyard

Van Kirk Makes History with Latest All-America Nod

Release: 06/16/2008

TULSA—Oral Roberts University’s Brian Van Kirk (Southwest Ranches, Fla.) added another piece of hardware to his trophy case on Monday when he was named to the American Baseball Coaches Association All-America first team – and made history at the same time.

With this latest honor, Van Kirk becomes the first player in ORU’s 43-year baseball history to receive more than one first-team All-American award in the same season. Late last month, Van Kirk grabbed first-team accolades from Collegiate Baseball.

Full Story: http://www.orugoldeneagles.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&ATCLID=1480871&DB_OEM_ID=17000

Way to go, BVK!!!  I'm not surprised - the guy has "star athlete" written all over him.

Friends, I am ecstatic to know that he is in the Blue Jay organisation. The Jays have had quite a few good hitters come up through the ranks (not so with pitchers). There must be some good hitting coaches at the different levels.

The baseball draft puzzles me to say the least...

Why on earth would a 1st Team All-American not get picked up until the 21st round?  Why would teams want to gamble on an 18 year high school senior as opposed to a proven and mature player?

You don't have to draft a guy like Van Kirk much higher. As a senior he has no leverage. He is also a fairly limited player with only two of the five tools scouts look for. He doesn't run really well, has an average arm, and isn't a great defensive player. He can hit for power and for average. In some respects he a dime-a-dozen, talent-wise.

Plus, he isn't very projectable. He isn't going to get taller, or fill out any more. What you see is what you're going to get three years down the road.

If he had stayed at catcher and excelled behind the plate and with the bat, you're talking about a top 5 rounds talent. I suspect he may be asked to squat again before it's all said and done.

Anybody live anywhere close to Auburn in the New York-Penn league? According to the article, that's where he'll be playing. Does anyone know how soon after the draft a player reports to the team that he has been signed by/assigned to?

Thanks, Red. I found the Auburn Doubledays on the net. BVK is still looking for his first hit after 12 at-bats. I wish him well. It must be quite a switch going from college to minor league pro ball. I imagine it takes a while to get used to, but I'm sure he'll make the adjustment.

BVK has gotten some hits in his last few games. In fact, he may be returning to the form that we know him to have. His batting average is already up to .150 and climbing.

the short season has started the tri city valley cats are the local if i see anything i'll post it

the short season has started the tri city valley cats are the local if i see anything i'll post it

Thanks, jmg.

In the meantime, here is the link to the Auburn Doubledays' home page.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/index.jsp?sid=t458

BVK only went one for four yesterday, but the one hit was a home run driving in 3 in a 6-4 loss. The Auburn Doubledays currently have the best record in the league.

Van Kirk's batting avg. has improved to .194 with 10 RBIs (2nd highest on the team). I,m not the best at reading box scores, but it looks like he bats fifth in the lineup. His hits have evidently come at key times.

Van Kirk's batting avg. has improved to .194 with 10 RBIs (2nd highest on the team). I,m not the best at reading box scores, but it looks like he bats fifth in the lineup. His hits have evidently come at key times.

One thing BVK know show to do is drive in runs - he had 74 RBI's last season at ORU.  In fact, the only one even remotely close was Ben Petralli, with 70. 

Did BVK have trouble batting lefties or righties? It seems like the Doubledays may be platooning him. He doesn't get into every game right now.

BVK went 0 for three yesterday with 1 rbi and is batting .186. He was the DH last night.

BVK currrently leads his team in rbis with 13 and HRs - 2. His team is in second place in their division and 3 games off the pace. The person with the most games under his belt has played 20. He has only played 13. His avg still needs a little help: .188.

He is coming along though and finding his place on the team.

Signing off on rb (ron's blog). Everyone have a good evening  :-D.

Anybody live anywhere close to Auburn in the New York-Penn league? According to the article, that's where he'll be playing. Does anyone know how soon after the draft a player reports to the team that he has been signed by/assigned to?

Auburn is about 30 minutes from here.... i might have to go check it out

Auburn is about 30 minutes from here.... i might have to go check it out

Meatloaf, you definitely have to visit one of the contests some time soon. BVK is up to .220 now and still holds the rbi lead on his team. If you get a chance to talk to him, let him know the board is routing for him.