2009-2010

ORU Eli

This is looking way ahead but it's summer months, and I think it's fun to look into the future. Especially with this ORU team as we can only speculate what we all believe they will be eventually capable of year after year.

So in 2009 we graduate:

Vealy

Allen

Jarvis

Sango

Lewis

Just using the players on our current roster, here's what we'd be looking at for 2009-2010

C - Ford - SR

F - Bell-Holter - SO

F - Hardy - JR

G- Stokes - RSSO

G- Guyton - SR

Bench

F - Farrington - RSFR/SO

G/F - Morrison - RSFR/SO

G - Rogers RSFR/SO

G - Dunn - RSSO

Just looking at that picture...before any recruits...before any JUCO signees or transfers...I think you have a team right there that could compete for the Summit Title THIS year.

This is looking way ahead but it's summer months, and I think it's fun to look into the future. Especially with this ORU team as we can only speculate what we all believe they will be eventually capable of year after year.

So in 2009 we graduate:

Vealy

Allen

Jarvis

Sango

Lewis

Just using the players on our current roster, here's what we'd be looking at for 2009-2010

C - Ford - SR

F - Bell-Holter - SO

F - Hardy - JR

G- Stokes - RSSO

G- Guyton - SR

Bench

F - Farrington - RSFR/SO

G/F - Morrison - RSFR/SO

G - Rogers RSFR/SO

G - Dunn - RSSO

Just looking at that picture...before any recruits...before any JUCO signees or transfers...I think you have a team right there that could compete for the Summit Title THIS year.

Personally, I'd just like to get through the 2008-2009 season before thinking about what we have in 2010!!  :-D  However, if we can keep everyone happy and everyone that we want to redshirt (whether those we've identified or another combination of players), we should have a good nucleus of players to build a program around.  We should be able to be choosy in the talent we want for future recruiting classes.

Oh, I know. I'm just so excited about our future...not just this year but for a long time. I didn't start following ORU basketball until my freshman year, but it's amazing to me looking back that 8 years ago, these were the major guys:

C - Gastel and Ludwig

F - K. Stewart and K. Brown

G - Barnes, Atkinson, E. Black, Charles, LSG

I think even Andy Mathurin & Jonathon Barnett might have got some playing time...

LSG, Atkinson, Charles, and Barnes were some of the big, non-JUCO/transfer names when I was in school...if you take their best years, who makes the current ORU team? Sure, Luke. After that? Maybe Atkinson as a utility 3pt shooter. Charles was too streaky to get any PT, and with the talent we have now I don't think Scott would put up with Barnes' attitude or streaky play.

I'd be happier if it were November, but it sure is a good day to be a Golden Eagles fan.

Gastel was solid defensively and rebounded pretty well.  He would fit in on the current team.

How about Woosie, Dugger, Martin, Worrell and Scott?  Those were the days . . .

Oh, my gosh - Lionel Worrell.  Now, there's a blast from the past.

After he left school, "Train" converted to Islam, changed his name to Lionel Salaam, then sent an angry letter to the NCAA, denouncing Christianity and ORU, and detailing a bunch of trumped-up violations he had "personally witnessed" while playing for Lake Kelly, prompting an investigation that did result in ORU's first and only probation.

Uggh . . . I did not know that.  Sorry I brought him up.  Sure was a good defender though.

Uggh . . . I did not know that.  Sorry I brought him up.  Sure was a good defender though.

Worrell was a trip - and not exactly a handsome guy.  At a time when most guys were wearing 'fros, he chose to shave his rather pointy head.

I remember one time Lionel was seated across from me on the team plane, when Anthony Roberts came shuffling down the aisle, stopped momentarily at Lionel's seat, and then said abruptly in that Chattanooga drawl:  "Man, you ain't just ugly - you OOO-GLEE!", and just kept walking back to his seat...  :lol:

Ha Ha!  Maybe that was one of those "personal violations" he witnessed. The only other guy I don't know what happened to - Antonio Martin?

Oh, my gosh - Lionel Worrell.  Now, there's a blast from the past.

After he left school, "Train" converted to Islam, changed his name to Lionel Salaam, then sent an angry letter to the NCAA, denouncing Christianity and ORU, and detailing a bunch of trumped-up violations he had "personally witnessed" while playing for Lake Kelly, prompting an investigation that did result in ORU's first and only probation.

Sorry to hear that about Lionel - back in the day when players had more latitude in choosing when they would go to class,  I remember him being a regular attender of business classes.  He, along with a few others, such as David Tucker, and Eddie Calvert seemed to value the education they were receiving. 

Tucker and Calvert were a couple of great guys.  Will never forget how David went off for a career-high 20 points or so in a win over TU at the Mabee Center.  I got to play against him for years in the "Over-30" basketball league at First Methodist Church downtown, and he could still fill it up!  He may still play down there, for all I know, though now it may be in the "Over-50" league.  :wink:

"Tuck" moved to Houston several years ago when Parker Drilling moved there.    His son Kyle has been the kicker for the KU football team the past few years and is very, very good.  Haven't seen much of Dave since he moved south.

OT, do you remember Worrell's technical for dunking when that was an illegal activity?  I forget who the opponent was, but the MC went crazy when he went high and jammed his defender.    Somewhat routine play these days...but "awesome" in 1976.    Wasn't he #42?  I didn't look it up, but I think he wore 42.  Sorry to hear he became a muslim.  Probably won't be coming for homecoming anytime soon.

"Tuck" moved to Houston several years ago when Parker Drilling moved there.    His son Kyle has been the kicker for the KU football team the past few years and is very, very good.  Haven't seen much of Dave since he moved south.

I didn't really know him, but David Tucker had season tickets in the seats right in front of ours for a couple of years, before he moved to Houston.  I didn't know him, but a lot of our friends did, and there were people we knew coming by all the time to say hello to David and his wife.

OT, do you remember Worrell's technical for dunking when that was an illegal activity?  I forget who the opponent was, but the MC went crazy when he went high and jammed his defender.    Somewhat routine play these days...but "awesome" in 1976.    Wasn't he #42?  I didn't look it up, but I think he wore 42.  Sorry to hear he became a muslim.  Probably won't be coming for homecoming anytime soon.

Oh, from what I understand, the Muslim thing wore off pretty quickly, and he actually showed up at a couple of ORU games when Ken Hayes was coach, and  couldn't understand why some folks might still be mad at him.  :-P

TheEagleman Loves hearing those old names....Lionel Worrell WAS a character...he did wear #42 and he WAS ugly....but he could play a bit...i was not aware of the muslim thing....Woosie Roberts was a nice guy...i sat next to him in several classes and had a semi-friendship with him...when he came to Philly as a Denver Nugget we chatted at his hotel once and after a game in the hallway at the old Spectrum...it was sad what happened to him...i heard he was shot and killed.....Eddie Calbert was a very nice fellow...sat next to him in a history class taught by the famed Dr. Harold Paul....we sat on the back row and the class was at 8am...one day he fell sound asleep and was snoring...Dr. Paul just stood above him with a big smile as the entire class howled....Eddie was mortified when he awoke and saw everyone staring at him and Dr. Paul just shaking his head....guess Eddie was out late that night...... :-D

In a desperate attempt to get this thread back on track, here's a little something on recruiting for next year, from Rivals.com:

May 1, 2008

Glover's Recruiting Heats Up

Blue Zertuche

TexasHoops.com

Shawn Glover has quickly established himself as a junior wing that has hit the recruiting list of some major programs. The 6'6" forward has seen his stock rise in a short period of time. Glover, who plays for the Dallas Heroes, and for Cedar Hill high school is a very humble individual and lets his play on the court speak for himself.

"I have been playing well," said Glover. "Actually we (Heroes) have been playing really good. Everyone is working hard and having fun."

Glover's hard work and dedication has earned him a few offers and some interest from some heavy hitters in the basketball community.

"I have two offers. Oral Roberts and Clemson have offered me," said Glover. "Texas, Rice, Stephen F. Austin, Utah and Nebraska all seem really interested in me too."

The key to Glover's early success can be contributed to one factor.

"I feel like I work really hard at being the best basketball player I can be. I still need to work on my strength."

Glover's head coach at Cedar Hill is David Milson, and Glover says that coach Milson will help him get to where he wants to be.

"Coach opens the gym early everyday so I can workout. He hasn't said too much about recruiting, but he knows a lot of coaches and he will be there for me."

Texas Hoops Analysis:  Shawn is an explosive player that has the ability to get the ball inside and finish above the rim. He has nice ball handling skills, will hit the open shot and is a great rebounder on both ends of the court. He understands the game and may have a chance to be a difference maker. He is very versatile and a leader on the court.

Recognize that high school?  Cedar Hill is the alma mater of former Golden Eagle Yemi Ogunoye.

To hijack this thread again, both Tuck and Eddie were great guys.  Calvert played middle linebacker for us in intramural football in 1976.  He was an awesome athlete - he went about 6-6 and 220.

The trivia question for the day is:  What was Eddie Calvert's nickname?