TW: ORU Signs Two Men's Basketball Players

Old Titan

Hopefully Gaines can go to a local JC and get his grades in order and still hang out with the players some and get everything taken care of.

The competition doesn't scare him at all. He would step in and take Jarvis's spot after next year. He is very tough minded and a good solid player. He would fit in perfect after Jarvis leaves.

He really does like ORU and the coaches. That is a good thing

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• dchief42

• ron

• ORU Eli

Hopefully Gaines can go to a local JC and get his grades in order and still hang out with the players some and get everything taken care of.

The competition doesn't scare him at all. He would step in and take Jarvis's spot after next year. He is very tough minded and a good solid player. He would fit in perfect after Jarvis leaves.

He really does like ORU and the coaches. That is a good thing

That sort of "bring it on" attitude is just the sort of approach all the returning players should have this next season, in light of the large recruiting class.

This talk of returning players wanting to transfer already, just because of the number of new guys coming in, is weak.

If you think you deserve more playing time, then beat out the guys at your position in practice.

And if you can't (yet), then work harder to get better.

Simple enough?

I am hoping that the returning players realize the advantage that this number of very new talented recruits brings. If the returnees turn it up a notch with the competition for their position, everybody wins because the potential of doing something significant this year has just increased ten-fold with this week's signings. I don't think that the seniors have to be satisfied with this just being a rebuilding year, but they do have to work their tails off, or it could be, and without them.

If the guys return muscled-up and in top form, ready to run up and down the court and not resenting it, this year will be a phenomenal year. So much depends on the attitude and the shape that the returnees come back with.

Bingo...if you can't take the heat....then transfer....any player not willing to accept the challange to improve can go elsewhere...if ORU is to be a perennial roundball power in the Summit...then we have to be 10 players deep....that's what it will take to compete with improving teams in our league and the challanging non-conference scheduling being done by Mike Carter and Scott Sutton....this is exciting...it's only Memorial Day and I am ready for some b-ball!!!.. :-D

does anyone know what happened to Deremey Steptoe?...I remember talking about him commiting to us awhile back but no talk of him actually signing lately

does anyone know what happened to Deremey Steptoe?...I remember talking about him commiting to us awhile back but no talk of him actually signing lately

College Signings - Spring 2008

TexasHoops.com Staff

TexasHoops.com

Talk about it in the Message Boards

CLASS OF 2008

6-7 Deremey Steptoe - Dallas God's Academy to Indian Hills (IA) CC (was Oral Roberts)

http://www.rivals.com/content.asp?cid=751451

thanks ORUalum..that too bad...hopefully we can get him in a couple years

I think we could have had him, if we had wanted him.

Sometimes, guys commit despite the fact the feelings may not be mutual.

Kind of like Voice's love life...  :wink:

wasn't steptoe part of the whole clarke thing (same AAU team)...i just figured he de-commited when clarke went elsewhere.

wasn't steptoe part of the whole clarke thing (same AAU team)...i just figured he de-commited when clarke went elsewhere.

Not sure that he ever "de-committed" - it could just be that we "de-recruited" him.  :-P

Friends, are you thinking what I'm thinking: this ORU team has Depth, with a capital D! I'm thinking that you don't assemble this kind of a team without planning to make a serious run! If we can make a team out of this huge collection of talent: LOOK OUT!

Nothing like depth, competition for playing time, a tough schedule, and good coaching to make an exciting team to watch, and a great season. Looking forward to seeing how they come together to win.

Not sure that he ever "de-committed" - it could just be that we "de-recruited" him.  :-P

good point, i hadn't thought of it like that. w/all the side deals going on w/the clarke recruitment, maybe it's for the best that he chose arkansas.

w/all the side deals going on w/the clarke recruitment, maybe it's for the best that he chose arkansas.

Why is it, now that all is said and done on the '07-'08 recruiting year, I feel a sense of relief that we did not sign Rotnei Clarke back in November?

Why is it, now that all is said and done on the '07-'08 recruiting year, I feel a sense of relief that we did not sign Rotnei Clarke back in November?

Yeah, what a difference when you get guys to play for ORU that really want to be here. Mistakenly or not, I have that sense about all the new recruits that have been announced!

There is no guarantee that Rotnei would have started at ORU next year.  We know he can shoot the lights out, but Scott likes defense, rebounding and attitude.  I have no idea whether Rotnei has all that but I know Rotnei would have had to earn his playing time like everybody else.  I still think we would have been better off with him than without him, if for no other reason than to remove the glass ceiling for the caliber of recruit we can get. 

There is no guarantee that Rotnei would have started at ORU next year.  We know he can shoot the lights out, but Scott likes defense, rebounding and attitude.  I have no idea whether Rotnei has all that but I know Rotnei would have had to earn his playing time like everybody else.  I still think we would have been better off with him than without him, if for no other reason than to remove the glass ceiling for the caliber of recruit we can get. 

Another POSITIVE from the RR/LR departure! If they were still 'in power' and Rotnei would have signed with ORU, there would have been ENORMOUS pressure to start him from Day 1.

It seems like EVERY DAY, I find something that is a BIG positive from those two going bye-bye. It makes me so happy, I think I'll go to Hobby Lobby tonight and buy some picture frames or candles or at least some glitter...

I think I'll go to Hobby Lobby tonight and buy some picture frames or candles or at least some glitter...

Ooooooh. Making sense now. That random glitter I saw on you when I was in town the last time CAME FROM HOBBY LOBBY.