Re: Friday Baseball @ SDSU Cancelled

Old Titan

...due to bad weather.

There is talk of playing three games on Saturday.

Only in the Summit League...  :roll:

They will play 3 tomorrow. The Jacks threw the first pitch out to a ORU batter and the ump suspended the game until 11AM.

It's a good story from what I've heard.  bluehat, did they ever actually take the tarp off the field or did they throw the first and only pitch with the tarp? 

Tarp still on :-D. Apparently, found a loophole in the NCAA rules to get away with playing three games in one day.

...and Carlos Luna could probably throw around 18 of the 25 innings scheduled for tomorrow (two nines and one seven)!

Just put him in around the 7th of the first game, let him pitch all the way through the second, then relieve him in the 5th of the third game.  :-P

3 games in one day?....what's with that?....why not just play DHs on Sat and Sunday?...travel issues?.... :?

They will play 3 tomorrow. The Jacks threw the first pitch out to a ORU batter and the ump suspended the game until 11AM.

So, inquiring minds want to know - was it a ball or a strike?  :-D

Play will resume at 11 a.m. Saturday at Erv Huether Field with a one-ball count to ORU's Kelly Minissale on a pitch delivered by Trever Vermeulen.

At least he's ahead in the count :-D or does he have to sit still for a strike to even things up?

Baseball always has the strangest stories.

That's a good one!

3 game in one day is absurd....what the heck is going on up there in South Dakota???....is that even in the United States?????.. :-D..has any Division 1 team ever won 3 games in one day????...... :-D

If the tarp was on, I'm surprised the poor pitcher could even find the mound, much less the pitching rubber to throw a strike.

With even the umpires in cahoots on this "one pitch" deal, wonder what would have happened if Minnesale had a wild hair and dropped a bunt down on the tarp?  :lol:

I'm impressed that there is another Summit League team that HAS a tarp, much less using it.

As far as the umpire being in cahoots, they actually did their job.  The game is in control of the home team up to the first pitch.  The home team can consult with the umpires as to the playing conditions, but when all is said-and-done, the home team decides whether the teams take the field and play goes on. 

Once the first pitch is made, from that point on, the umpires are in control of the game and the umpire did the correct thing in calling the game after the first pitch (although I'm sure the players were looking forward to sliding into second on the tarp from 45 feet away in 40 degree weather.  :-D

I'm sure that I smell a rule change coming in the off season.

I'm impressed that there is another Summit League team that HAS a tarp, much less using it.

Wasn't it last year at the MID-CON TOURUNAMENT that Western tried to cover the field with their tarp, and it was so rotten and holey that it didn't do much good?  Obviously not used very much . . .

I little more info on Friday's delay.  From what I was told both coaches were on the phone with Summit offices when your coach suggested the strategy to throw one pitch and call the game for the day.  ORU only had the head coach and the batter come off the bus and the jackrabbit pitches pitched out for ball one.  Then the umpired called the game because of weather.

I little more info on Friday's delay.  From what I was told both coaches were on the phone with Summit offices when your coach suggested the strategy to throw one pitch and call the game for the day.  ORU only had the head coach and the batter come off the bus and the jackrabbit pitches pitched out for ball one.  Then the umpired called the game because of weather.

The SDSU announcer said during today's broadcast that Kelly stepped into the right-handed batter's box (he bats left) and was holding the bat by the end of the barrel instead of by the grip, but Rob made him do it by the book from the left side holding the bat the right way.

I think this whole deal is a hoot - one of the great things about baseball and softball is that the rules of the game have so many loopholes and nuances, it makes for more "never-seen-that-before"-type situations than other sports. 

Like the softball game the other day that garnered so much national attention, where the girl who hit a walk-off homer before blowing her knee out rounding first was carried around the bases by two opposing players.

Ya just gotta love stuff like that...  :-D