Texas win a bad omen for the Golden Eagles?

JoeyO

Alright, hear me out here. I am nervous. I fell asleep last night hating the fact that Texas' recruiting just got a huge advantage over the Sooners but I still slept well. But this morning I awoke in a cold, nervous sweat...

You see, my sports years usually have a theme. Example: In the 2003-2004 sports year I was going for a sweep. My beloved Cubbies were on their way to a World Series -- five outs to go, pop fly in foul territory to Moises Alou and Mr. Bartman decides to try out for the Cubs and goes down in history as Bill Buckner's replacement as most hated man on the planet. My Kansas City Chiefs finished the season with the second best record in the NFL, get a bye in the first round, and go ahead and lose their first game in the playoffs. And my cherished Golden Eagles come in with high hopes and fall short of winning a first round game against UMKC. That was my "Year of Almost". Hopes were high, everything was in place, and all I got was almost.

This year's theme is developing and it is not looking good. Several months ago, the unthinkable happened in the greatest sports town in the world. My universe is still spinning since the despised White Sox won the World Series. For a Cub fan that was devastating. Now, I hadn't thought much of that until last night. As an OU fan, regardless of Big 12 loyalties, you can't stand to see Texas win the BCS Championship. It happened and I pray that this developing theme stops right now. That's right, so far it looks like this year's theme is my "Year of the Rival". Right now we should be a little nervous but not panicked. It the Broncos win the Super Bowl, then we are in trouble. I can promise you that all the Crusader fans out there are cheering for the Broncos because they know what it would mean for their chances in the Mid Con Tourney.

Take a moment Eagle Nation, breathe, and say a little prayer that my sports year's apparent theme is nothing more than a coincidence. Let's all buckle up for an interesting second half of the season and "Expect a Miracle".

I beg to differ...sports loyalties are not so cut and dry as you make it. Of course there are favorites. That's what being a fanatic is all about. But I grew up in Tulsa (attended ORU) and rooted for OU my whole life; still do. It was painful watching the Red River Shootout this year; especially down here. But, having said that, you better believe I was at my local Fox and Hound last night with my Texas buddies losing my voice for the Longhorns (all the while checking my PCS Vision for Golden Eagles game updates). Their victory only strenghtens a mediocre Big 12 and gives me hope for its return to prominence (in football). It's the same way I can be a complete Dallas Cowboys fan and still root for the Texans (they need a lot of help...will it be Bush or Young?).

Rooting for a local rival to lose at all costs is just a bad case of sour grapes!

That was a great post, Mabeej.

I don't know if it means anything, but Stl VU Fan is a fan of the White Sox and of Texas . . .

St Louis Valpo is a Cardinals fan.

Our household is Cardinals, Chiefs & Sooner football (last night we cheered for Texas)

All is well in the Eagle Nation.

Example: In the 2003-2004 sports year I was going for a sweep. My beloved Cubbies were on their way to a World Series -- five outs to go, pop fly in foul territory to Moises Alou and Mr. Bartman decides to try out for the Cubs and goes down in history as Bill Buckner's replacement as most hated man on the planet.

Ah yes, blessed memories :P:twisted::lol::D

Several months ago, the unthinkable happened in the greatest sports town in the world. My universe is still spinning since the despised White Sox won the World Series. For a Cub fan that was devastating.

Oh, the ecstasy of it all :wink:

Cub fans living in Valpo are doubly-cursed, by the way. Not just the Billy Goat, but the local Lions club populated almost exclusively by Sox haters threatened to bust up my dad's radio one late September night in 1959, the day the Sox clinched the pennant, and he put a hex on them that has lasted until this very day.

Even a month and a half into the basketball season, I'm still having more fun than a human being should be allowed to have. :twisted:

JK. Actually I don't know if he's a Texas fan or not, but you never know.

I'm not a football fan, period. Never been a college football fan. I was a Rams bandwagon-jumper around the turn of the millenium, and during the playoffs I might jump on the Bears bandwagon, but football really isn't my cup of tea anymore.

Hey, I'm just glad somebody finally beat USC. Lienhart's post game comments were totally classless. What kind of person says "We're stil the better team" after losing. What a baby.

Hey, I'm just glad somebody finally beat USC. Lienhart's post game comments were totally classless. What kind of person says "We're stil the better team" after losing. What a baby.

I'm an old man and have to get my beauty sleep, so I went to bed before the game was over. Did Lienhart really say that?

I remember one of the first things he said was "It was a good win, I mean, it was a good game." Guess he's so used to winning it just came out on instinct. Needless to say, I think he'll be a top 10 draft pick, and it was a great game to watch.

We stayed up til 6 in the morning celebrating last night in downtown Austin...I just managed to get up and check the message board so this is a bit late but you knew it was coming....

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOOK 'EM BABY!!!

For those sooner fans that rooted us on last night, we appreciate the support. However, perhaps I'm about as classless as Leinert and MabeeJ when I say that last year's USC whooping on OU put a smile on my face. I love it when the sooners lose...esp this year when they lose AND we win and win and win and win and win....13 times. =)

Was I the only one who noticed the bias towards USC in the media coverage? How about right after the game when ABC interviewed Pete Carroll (USC coach) and Matt Leinert (USC quarterback)? Pretty transparent to me.

I was neutral in the game, but leaned toward Texas given the treatment they received from the MSM.

The biased media coverage was sickening, I was a lil confused and peterved (sp?) when Texas won, and the media shoved a microphone in carroll and leinart's face. Then I began to get sucked in as they asked coach questions about what the lost meant to him and his club. Suddenly I realized how I was falling prey to what I had hated 2 seconds earlier and it hit me- They've pumped these guys up so much in the eyes of the public that no matter what happened in the outcome of that game (win or lose) USC was still the big story. Either, "how does it feel to make history" or "how does it feel to fall in such a big game". I immediately regained my negative attitude towards the whole situation when Leinart opened his mouth and began to speak idiotically about his team still being superior. He quickly made my top 10 list for most hated sports icons right up under Duke and Coach Kusser. Reggie Bush, on the other hand, gained my respect 10x over. I wish him well at the next level.

VY signed with Texas after an OU NC. I don't think the Sooners have anything to worry about - especially considering the way they started coming together toward the end of the year. This will give tu a bump nationally, but they're already out-recruiting almost everybody anyway. I can't stand the horns but I'm slightly glad to see them beat USC after watching the folks at USCSPN call the Trojans the greatest team in history for the last month and repeatedly refer to their chance at "3 straight" National Championships...

Sooners should be top 15 next year if they continue to improve and get good play out of Bomar or whoever they put at QB. Big XII should not ever be in question if Vince comes back and is healthy. If he doesn't come back, I think the Horns could have an 2005 OU type of season and go back to losing the Red River Shootout because they'll be very, very inexperienced at QB. Hey, good news is that our young QB is named Colt McCoy. With that name, how can you lose?