THE CBI ... TU ... And The "Extended Season"

OldORUGuy

So am i reading between the lines that ORU cheerleaders are not worth seeing topless?....i was just jesting about that, boys....but not about the Richard Roberts cardboard cutout....that would be an outstanding halftime extravaganza!.... :-D

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldORUGuy

• Old Titan

• tmh8286

• ron

getting close to the time for a thread lockdown boys and girls.

OldORUguy, I think the problem some people have is when someone shows up and starts posting "certain topics" and no one has any idea who they are.  When there is a particular vibe to that person's posts of course "loyalties" are questioned.  Many of the "regular" posters know who the real person is behind the posts and Know their passion for ORU because we see each other actually doing the supporting.  This is the main reason I use ORU_Ed on everything so people know I am Eddie Redden '89-'93.  I went to school with Texasgrip, OKCEagle, ORUJason, I am the brother-in-law of ORUIsbig, and good friend of ORUTerry, TMH8286, mrb12, & Dr. Cornelius, dgroup leader of eaglefanatic, and father of vbsofdof.  (sorry if I left someone off).

My point is that there shouldn't be any reason for people not to know who we are.  Eliminating the secrecy would help eliminate some of the questions about some people and their agendas.

ORU_Ed You provide some very good observations and points about one of the tangential issues raised in this tread.  [And you’re right, it’s time to lock this one down … When it degenerated into cardboard cutouts of Richard Roberts and Topless Cheerleaders … It slid off the runway!]

Anyway, I don’t know who all those folks are … I just know them by their pseudo names.  The Profile for most folks is never filled in, so that I now know that ORU_Ed is Eddie Redden, but that isn't the case for most of the other names.  You may know who everybody is, but I don't ... and won't unless we all introduce ourselves by real names and pedigrees...

I’m not an argumentative person by nature  I like debate, but I don’t really like visible public floggings or disagreements of a personal nature.  I also don’t really like to be publically criticized on a website.  This thread has been way to ugly for me.    When you know who a person is, and you say they are an idiot or a moron or a misguided person, that can hurt! {Heck, being called a “troll” isn’t much fun.}  It’s easier to take and give criticism when there is some sense of anonymity to the comments.  That's why very few people ever use their "real names" on chat-websites.  It’s probably easier for Old Titan to hammer on me when he doesn’t know who I am … The same with orumom and ORUBlue or ORUEagle.  It can get too personal when you know everyone and choose to publicly disagree with what they say, who they are, and how they say it.

Why only 40 posts from me?  My personal view on “posting” … is like Jim Rome says, “If you have a well thought out ‘take’ then make it, but if you don’t have something substantive to contribute, don’t. “   So, I try to post more infrequently when a subject tickles my interest.    I don’t need to joust with the veterans of the board who have much sharper swords than I do.    “Another point of view” is not usually received here with “grace” … It’s often questioned as to underlying motive … and not taken in the discussion spirit that it was intended.  To be given “credentials” to be in the exclusive tent of ORUSPORTS, you apparently have to pass a litmus test, of sorts.  I flunked that test.

I think I will just drift away for now … and keep my opinions to myself … and just enjoy the banter from the sidelines.  You have enough fun without having (infrequent posting) newcomers like me intrude on the club communications.

Thanks for your “take” … ORU_Ed.  And to “ron”, who seems to have a good analytic head on his shoulders … I appreciate your input and thoughts… and the "thoughts" of a lot of the regular posters here...  It's really a pretty insightful group!

I’m out of here…  [Maybe I’ll commit the ultimate in heresies … I’ll go to the TU CBI game tonight!]

OldORUGuy, your opinions are more than welcome here.  But for everyone's sanity, "PLEASE" try to state them in fewer words and with less formatting!

ORU_Ed You provide some very good observations and points about one of the tangential issues raised in this tread.  [And you’re right, it’s time to lock this one down … When it degenerated into cardboard cutouts of Richard Roberts and Topless Cheerleaders … It slid off the runway!]

Anyway, I don’t know who all those folks are … I just know them by their pseudo names.  The Profile for most folks is never filled in, so that I now know that ORU_Ed is Eddie Redden, but that isn't the case for most of the other names.  You may know who everybody is, but I don't ... and won't unless we all introduce ourselves by real names and pedigrees...

I’m not an argumentative person by nature  I like debate, but I don’t really like visible public floggings or disagreements of a personal nature.  I also don’t really like to be publically criticized on a website.  This thread has been way to ugly for me.    When you know who a person is, and you say they are an idiot or a moron or a misguided person, that can hurt! {Heck, being called a “troll” isn’t much fun.}  It’s easier to take and give criticism when there is some sense of anonymity to the comments.  That's why very few people ever use their "real names" on chat-websites.  It’s probably easier for Old Titan to hammer on me when he doesn’t know who I am … The same with orumom and ORUBlue or ORUEagle.  It can get too personal when you know everyone and choose to publicly disagree with what they say, who they are, and how they say it.

Why only 40 posts from me?  My personal view on “posting” … is like Jim Rome says, “If you have a well thought out ‘take’ then make it, but if you don’t have something substantive to contribute, don’t. “   So, I try to post more infrequently when a subject tickles my interest.    I don’t need to joust with the veterans of the board who have much sharper swords than I do.    “Another point of view” is not usually received here with “grace” … It’s often questioned as to underlying motive … and not taken in the discussion spirit that it was intended.  To be given “credentials” to be in the exclusive tent of ORUSPORTS, you apparently have to pass a litmus test, of sorts.  I flunked that test.

I think I will just drift away for now … and keep my opinions to myself … and just enjoy the banter from the sidelines.  You have enough fun without having (infrequent posting) newcomers like me intrude on the club communications.

Thanks for your “take” … ORU_Ed.  And to “ron”, who seems to have a good analytic head on his shoulders … I appreciate your input and thoughts… and the "thoughts" of a lot of the regular posters here...  It's really a pretty insightful group!

I’m out of here…  [Maybe I’ll commit the ultimate in heresies … I’ll go to the TU CBI game tonight!]

OldORUGuy,

Please do not leave because that isn't a (positive) solution either. I came to the board shortly before the end of the season when I saw the "advertisement" on oru alumni faceplace. The goal of much of the positive discussion on the faceplace board was getting alumni reconnected to their alma mater. I started tuning in. Then I noticed that the ORU basketball team was doing quite well and started getting excited about it. I inquired on the orusports board as to the best place to sit in the NDSU arena and was connected to the best seats in the house right behind our bench through mighty Mike Minyard, the author and originator of this board.

To be honest, I started posting here as a preparation for posting on the faceplace board where the posts are much more serious. I wanted to get the jitters out of my system but also to practice saying what needed to be said in a polite but assertive manner if need be. Old ORU guys have been taught how to relate to the university way back and it wasn't about being open and honest.

We have a new ORU now though, but it is only new if we start politely and tactfully communicating what we think and feel if that is what someone is asking for. In order to really gain and keep the freedom that we think we have now, we have to use it. It will take a while for everyone that has been influenced by the top-down controlling behaviour behavior to get used to it.

Now here is the connection to this board: The people on this board appear to be great folk, each with their own personalities. The regular posters probably do know each other personally and, as ORU_Ed indicated, get together off the board.  How to respond to an opinion that is not inherent to this core group may even get discussed off the board. Never mind. We are all being stretched to grow into this new ORU imho.

I like this board. I still apparently rub people the wrong way sometimes but never mind. People on the board are still generally good even if they don't understand you at any given moment. But relationship takes time. Don't give up OldORUGuy. After a while you'll find out where the sensitivities are and why you may get a more spirited response every once in a while, but never mind. When you find out what the sensitivities are, you might still have to post politely with your opinion because it matters!

I no longer see this board as a stepping-stone to anywhere. I like it here. I like the people (even OT most of the time :-D, and orumom is one of the absolute greatest). I will post whenever I feel so inclined if I think it will positively effect communication, relationship or creative thoughts about the subject on hand. I would like to see people more empowered to do likewise rather than being afraid of the consequences of a "bad" post. For the next little while at least, I think that is what ORU generally and ORU sports specifically need. We want active alumni and student involvement in ORU!

So you see, OldORUGuy, we need your thoughts and in the free marketplace exchange of ideas, we will deal with them. We all need the practice of dealing with different ideas though, because we're not quite used to it yet. I can hardly wait until we get really good at it. Judging from some of the posts that I've read though, we need not fear being mired in political correctness  :-D.

This is by far the longest post I have seen on here. I will only do it again when I feel so inclined (don't worry, it doesn't happen often  :-D).

Oh, and Old ORUGuy, I like the way you punctuate and accentuate your posts too. Be yourself and contribute. We need you.

What of them... c'mon, do tell

So am i reading between the lines that ORU cheerleaders are not worth seeing topless?....i was just jesting about that, boys....but not about the Richard Roberts cardboard cutout....that would be an outstanding halftime extravaganza!.... :-D

"theeagleman5 also said:  "TheEagleman never takes anything too far....this is cutting edge commentary...." 

A short, pithy comment to these posts:  They are classless, juvenile, demeaning to an ORU executive with a surname that is treasured, in bad taste, and an example of what shouldn’t be tolerated on this bulletin board.  Tongue-in-cheek or not, these are the type of “posts” that you see on those other schools sites, but they don’t belong on a public forum with ORU’s name tagged to it. 

That’s my pithy opinion… But I could be wrong...

10hjbsz.jpg

I probably should have locked this a while a go but I was hoping it would just fizzle out. But for some reason people keep responding and pushing it up.

I created this this board so ORU fans could find each other and communicate from across the country. Not so they could bicker. Please refer to the posting guidelines in the future.