THE CBI ... TU ... And The "Extended Season"

OldORUGuy

ORUBlue Said“Pretty simple OldORUGuy.  When we do suck bad enough to have to buy our way to play post season, all we have to do is ask you to be the first to buy a ticket.  Now, of course your ticket will cost $60,000 per game and the rest will be easy.”

I’m not sure I understand “your take” here.  You said that it is “pretty simple” … but when I read your comment it didn’t seem simple to me at all.  In fact, it was quite confusing.  What is it that you are really saying, “simply”?  Is there a missing clue buried between the lines that I’m missing?

What’s the scoop?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldORUGuy

• Old Titan

• tmh8286

• ron

orumom Said“...OLDoruGuy,  I am convinced you are really a TU guy.......I'd even bet a chicken salad sandwich on it."

orumom, I’m wondering … What difference would it make if I was a “TU guy?”    Is there something inherently wrong with that?  Do we have to sign some kind of pledge in Tulsa and Oklahoma to have our allegiances only to one school in the state?  If you’re for OU, do you have to hate OSU?  If you’re for ORU do you have to hate TU?  If you’re from TU do you have to hate ORU?  :?

When you express your personal opinion on subjects is it as “an ORU person” or are they general comments?  If, hypothetically, I had some heritage with TU, does that make me “bad”?   :?  Or, does that just devalue my comments or opinions to that of a heckler rather than a person from a higher place, with greater insight?

So … What difference does it make?   :|    Knowing that would help me put your future comments into perspective, too.

Kind of hard to get the fans fired up about a double-A game when you've been playing in the majors the past three years...

That is the price of failure to maintain the standard that your success has established. That's why coaches get fired when they can't bring back what people have gotten used to. It is the pressure of not pleasing the fan base that ultimately determines how success is defined. Ticket sales is one way of evaluating the feelings of the fan base, I suppose.

Perhaps an application of all this TU talk to our program is that we have to be careful always to put into perspective the length of time it takes to properly grow a program (see example of Davidson on another thread). Our winning our tournament can never be taken for granted as long as other schools are also trying to improve. Simply reaching the NCAA tournament should still be seen as the great feat that it is for the next couple of years. One single defeat in our Summit League tournament can help to derail us for that year (Remember, George Hill will be back). Coach Sutton mentioned three years as the minimum time in which he expects to see more. That is reasonable. Anything else is bonus!

If we somehow talk down regular participation in the NCAA tournament as no big deal, we have only ourselves to blame if fans expect more. Students need to understand that we might need a perfect season in our league (like Davidson) to be seeded where we could perhaps win the first game. Every game counts. That means that attendance at every game counts during the season because we want to help propel the team into the tournament. We should define what it means to be the best fan base and grade ourselves on having achieved that or not. (If we want to have a sweet sixteen, elite eight or final four team, are we prepared to be those kind of fans.) Perhaps have the alumni (sensitively but definitively) do the grading.

Our fans will help determine our seeding and ultimately ORU's further success. Alumni have to help motivate students, who, if they are excited enough, can help motivate other fans into doing their part.

But I think rule number one is (and I hate rules!): don't talk down your achievements. Secondly, emphasize and educate the student base as to the number of small steps (improvements) that will lead to the ultimate goal of defeating big teams, regardless when we play them.

Other ideas: Hold a "how to be a great fan" seminar. Have a time where Coach Sutton can explain his plan over the next years to the school.

ORUBlue Said“Pretty simple OldORUGuy.  When we do suck bad enough to have to buy our way to play post season, all we have to do is ask you to be the first to buy a ticket.  Now, of course your ticket will cost $60,000 per game and the rest will be easy.”

I’m not sure I understand “your take” here.  You said that it is “pretty simple” … but when I read your comment it didn’t seem simple to me at all.  In fact, it was quite confusing.  What is it that you are really saying, “simply”?  Is there a missing clue buried between the lines that I’m missing?

What’s the scoop?

I'll tell you what's confusing - excessive use of the editing features.

YouR pOstS LoOk lIKe A rANSom NoTE.

Ron Said“That is the price of failure to maintain the standard that your success has established….Perhaps an application of all this TU talk to our program is that we have to be careful always to put into perspective the length of time it takes to properly grow a program (see example of Davidson on another thread). Our winning our tournament can never be taken for granted as long as other schools are also trying to improve. Simply reaching the NCAA tournament should still be seen as the great feat that it is for the next couple of years. One single defeat in our Summit League tournament can help to derail us for that year … If we somehow talk down regular participation in the NCAA tournament as no big deal, we have only ourselves to blame if fans expect more. Students need to understand that we might need a perfect season in our league (like Davidson) to be seeded where we could perhaps win the first game. Every game counts. That means that attendance at every game counts during the season because we want to help propel the team into the tournament.. …

But I think rule number one is (and I hate rules!): don't talk down your achievements. Secondly, emphasize and educate the student base as to the number of small steps (improvements) that will lead to the ultimate goal of defeating big teams, regardless when we play them….”

Ron, that is a VERY well thought out “post” … a great “take” … And provides some good “food for thought”.      You hit on a number of good points, that some might lose in the length of the post (a problem I had in the original post) … But each of your points is on target.

We do “expect a lot” … We will likely have problems with having a year we don’t make the NCAA … Will the NIT or other tournament “just not be enough”?    After the shocking loss to Oakland in the Tournament 4 years ago, we just never got the wind back in the sails for an NIT game at Maryland.  That could well happen again.

Anyway … Great post!

YouR pOstS LoOk lIKe A rANSom NoTE.

Man, OT, that's true artestry.  You must have spent an hour on that!  Nice job!!

I try to keep my mind off of all things TU, but they're down 48-34 to Bradley at the half.

Man, OT, that's true artestry.  You must have spent an hour on that!  Nice job!!

Not really - just something to do while listening to the baseball game!  8-)

Old Titan Said: “I'll tell you what's confusing - excessive use of the editing features.

YouR pOstS LoOk lIKe A rANSom NoTE.”

Would you not have gotten lost halfway through the post if it had no hiliting of selected sentences?  There are obviously some very thoughtful posts that don’t have any highlighting in them … for example the “ron” post above.  I have thought that for the “scan reader” of long posts, the “Kiplinger Letter” approach of hiliting key thoughts is helpful (at least it's helpful to me).  But, that’s just one person’s opinion.  Not everyone has the same "writing style" ...  (Even you’ve been known to “stylishly” Bold key words, italicize references, put quotes around words,  color code messages, and put sentences in CAPS for emphasis…  :-))

You have been posting on the board for a long time, and your opinion is relevant.  But even I’m not clever enough to do what you did with color/font/capitalization!  :-D

OldORUGuy, I like the way you do your posts - they have CHARACTER and PERSONALITY. 

orumom Said:  “...OLDoruGuy,  I am convinced you are really a TU guy.......I'd even bet a chicken salad sandwich on it."

orumom, I’m wondering … What difference would it make if I was a “TU guy?”    Is there something inherently wrong with that?  Do we have to sign some kind of pledge in Tulsa and Oklahoma to have our allegiances only to one school in the state?  If you’re for OU, do you have to hate OSU?  If you’re for ORU do you have to hate TU?  If you’re from TU do you have to hate ORU?  :?

When you express your personal opinion on subjects is it as “an ORU person” or are they general comments?  If, hypothetically, I had some heritage with TU, does that make me “bad”?  :?  Or, does that just devalue my comments or opinions to that of a heckler rather than a person from a higher place, with greater insight?

So … What difference does it make?    :|    Knowing that would help me put your future comments into perspective, too.

OLDoruGuy,

First, let me point out, since it seems difficult for you to understand the most simple of phrases, this is ORU's unofficial message board. Your having  thirty five (35) posts tells me you may be "old", you may be a "fan", but the odds are good that you AREN'T an ORU fan.  To answer your question....Yes, I do consider you a heckler.

You asked about my loyalty.......There isn't a doubt.....I'm ORU blue to the marrow of my bones. When I express myself it is definitely as an ORU person.  When I see how far ORU has come in the past ten years, with a budget the fraction of TU's, I'm proud of how we were able to do so.  It was especially difficult because of all the crap we had to take in the media and on our own message board from those who had their own agendas, and certainly weren't our fans.

Some of our best friends are TU fans and/or on TU's staff. They also have the decency to not dress in sheep's clothing and choose a message board name that contains ORU.

I have no problem cheering for another team when they aren't playing ORU, and tonight I'm enjoying the CBI game on Cox. We have had season tickets for OU football for years.

Something in your tone tells me that you know this week has been a much needed treat for TU fans and that you don't really know if it will last, or how to graciously handle it.

As has been said before, don't feed the trolls.  :evil:

Final score, Bradley 83, Tulsa 74.

Coming back to Tulsa for the final.  Bet the DonRey will be rocking.

Old Titan Said: “I'll tell you what's confusing - excessive use of the editing features.

YouR pOstS LoOk lIKe A rANSom NoTE.”

Would you not have gotten lost halfway through the post if it had no hiliting of selected sentences?  There are obviously some very thoughtful posts that don’t have any highlighting in them … for example the “ron” post above.  I have thought that for the “scan reader” of long posts, the “Kiplinger Letter” approach of hiliting key thoughts is helpful (at least it's helpful to me).  But, that’s just one person’s opinion.  Not everyone has the same "writing style" ...  (Even you’ve been known to “stylishly” Bold key words, italicize references, put quotes around words,  color code messages, and put sentences in CAPS for emphasis…  :-))

You have been posting on the board for a long time, and your opinion is relevant.  But even I’m not clever enough to do what you did with color/font/capitalization!  :-D

With all due respect, I think those who bother to read your posts should be the judge of what the "key thoughts" are, without stylistic tricks steering them in a particular  direction.

And in response to your observations regarding my writing style, whatever punctuation I choose to use is merely intended to add inflection and clarity, not to influence the reader's comprehension, or to identify the information as "one of MY posts".

Unless I'm trying to make a tongue-in-cheek point, I try to avoid any type of kitschy "style".  Hopefully, if I've written the post well enough, the opinions stand on their own merits.

Now, whether anyone agrees with them is a totally different matter...  :-D

OLDoruGuy,

First, let me point out, since it seems difficult for you to understand the most simple of phrases, this is ORU's unofficial message board. Your having  thirty five (35) posts tells me you may be "old", you may be a "fan", but the odds are good that you AREN'T an ORU fan.  To answer your question....Yes, I do consider you a heckler.

You asked about my loyalty.......There isn't a doubt.....I'm ORU blue to the marrow of my bones. When I express myself it is definitely as an ORU person.  When I see how far ORU has come in the past ten years, with a budget the fraction of TU's, I'm proud of how we were able to do so.  It was especially difficult because of all the crap we had to take in the media and on our own message board from those who had their own agendas, and certainly weren't our fans.

Some of our best friends are TU fans and/or on TU's staff. They also have the decency to not dress in sheep's clothing and choose a message board name that contains ORU.

I have no problem cheering for another team when they aren't playing ORU, and tonight I'm enjoying the CBI game on Cox. We have had season tickets for OU football for years.

Something in your tone tells me that you know this week has been a much needed treat for TU fans and that you don't really know if it will last, or how to graciously handle it.

As has been said before, don't feed the trolls.  :evil:

orumom,

The only reason I’m responding to this diatribe of yours is because I think that to the others who read your post on this bulletin board … the absence of a response will be interpreted as being an acknowledgement that I am all the evil things you accuse me of.  I’m Not.  You’re misguided and wrong! 

I honestly don’t see where you’re coming from!    You have made a conclusion based on some “evidence” that isn’t really there.  I’m a heckler???  I’m a TU guy disguised as an ORU guy just to get on the “inside” of the ORU faithful???  For what possible purpose would that serve???    Why would I read these posts – a lot of posts – occasionally comment if the subject merits a different “take” … if I was spending all my time attending TU events?

You feel comfortable concluding and saying that I’m just a deceitful, lying, evil TU heckler!   Go back and read those 35 posts and tell me where the heckling is…where I’ve been flying the hurricane flag around this bulletin board … I may have a different “take” on a subject than you do, but I don’t think you will find me to be the indecent person  (dressed in sheep’s clothing) that you characterize here in your version of internet “character assassination”.

If something is “telling you” these insightful observations, you should check the origin of your source.

I’m every-bit as sensitive to criticism of ORU and its programs as you are (although, a bit more thick skinned about it, since I’ve heard this stuff for all my adult life) … even though you will have a hard time believing that.  Check your “sources” for the feelings you’re getting … If they’re reliable, they will get you back on track … and eliminate the worry from your mind that an Old-TU-Fan has somehow infiltrated your bulletin board, with some evil mission  to perform.

I guess I’m now feeding the trolls, again!

p.s.  While you were enjoying watching the Tulsa/Bradley game on Cox, I was listening to Hax call the ORU/Wichita State game on the radio … because I care about that game (which isn’t going well, unfortunately), not the TU game.

All I have to say about this thread is that some of you like to argue. 

I have a confession - the Mr & I have had TU football season tickets a few times.  :-o

All I have to say about this thread is that some of you like to argue. 

I have a confession - the Mr & I have had TU football season tickets a few times.  :-o

What?!?!?

May I respectfully suggest that we be careful not to use the word troll too quickly. I've been on the receiving end of that one already and it was not correct and it smarts.

Have you had trolls on here before that you have correctly identified that have done a lot of damage?