2008-9 Schedule....

theeagleman5

I kind of figured as much, OT. That's why at the end of that posting I tried to steer Larry toward a road trip with my own 3 1/2 hour experience. The possibility seemed a bit more realistic to me. I haven't checked my map though and don't know where exactly all the schools that he mentioned are.

Hopefully a 3 1/2 hour trip can get him and some friends to a game. It's hard to believe that being as far from the action as I am up here in Winnipeg, there might be someone who has to drive farther to a game, but looking at a map, it seems indeed possible.

3-1/2 hours is nothing; you're closer to seeing ORU play a road game than anyone in Tulsa is (UMKC is the closest at 4-1/2 to 5 hours, depending on how you drive it).

I know that for one, ORUBlue82 has made several multi-hour trips to see the boys play in Washington and Utah, respectively.

3-1/2 hours is nothing; you're closer to seeing ORU play a road game than anyone in Tulsa is (UMKC is the closest at 4-1/2 to 5 hours, depending on how you drive it).

I do feel rather fortunate after taking a little time to consider the distances, but it'll take a whole lot longer before I start feeling sorry for people living in ORU's back yard  :-P.

I vote for the Eagles coming out to South Carolina for a game or two.  I haven't seen them out here since they played in the College of Charleston Tournament a few years ago.  Within short driving distance of where I live is Clemson, UNC-Ashville, UNC-Charlotte, Winthrop, Gardner-Webb (knocked off Kentucky this year), South Carolina and College of Charleston.

So, if anyone has any pull . . . 

ORU fan in SC

As hard as it really is to do something about, I think Larry has something here. I might be wrong, but I think he represents a number of alumni that could/should indeed be organized every time there is a game in their neighbourhood. I know that we can't determine where the games are played (aren't we still beggars in the sense of beggars can't be choosers?) except that we influence from where the schools come that are accepted into the Summit League. I am thankful that somebody thought that accepting the Dakotas was a good plan. I think I remember Coach Sutton saying that he likes going to parts of the country that he hasn't been to before.

If Centenary drops down (only rumour or based in fact?), perhaps then we can get another school in an area where we have a neglected (perhaps too strong a word) fan base.

To what extent does geographical placement play a role in the acceptance of schools into the Summit League (we're not the Midcon any more)? What are the other considerations?

I kind of figured as much, OT. That's why at the end of that posting I tried to steer Larry toward a road trip with my own 3 1/2 hour experience. The possibility seemed a bit more realistic to me. I haven't checked my map though and don't know where exactly all the schools that he mentioned are.

Hopefully a 3 1/2 hour trip can get him and some friends to a game. It's hard to believe that being as far from the action as I am up here in Winnipeg, there might be someone who has to drive farther to a game, but looking at a map, it seems indeed possible.

I live in Spartanurg, SC.  I have driven to Charleston (2 1/2 hours) to the College of Charleston Tournament, and drove to Tennessee Tech, just this side of Nashville (5 hours away) a few years ago.  A great match-up would be Winthrop (45 minutes), located in Rock Hill, SC.  They are about the same size school as ORU and have a comparable program.  Gardner-Webb is located in Boiling Springs, NC (1 hour away).  They are a small school, but they have a reputation for being giant killers (as I mentioned, they knocked off Kentucky early in the year). Also, Davidson is located just north of Charlotte (about two hours away) - wouldn't that be a great matchup!

Larry, I can feel the passion! There are some good teams there in your neighbourhood. Maybe ORU will be headed into that area again this year.

I, too, would love to see a game against Davidson. In addition to the game, it might be great for Coach Sutton to talk to their coach about commonalities in the two programs, if coaches do those kinds of things.

I am hoping for a game this year within 150 miles or so. TheEagleman over the years has travelled to Va. Tech, Princeton, Villanova, and Washington to see the boys play....my favorite game was back in the 70's when my late father and I drove 8 hrs to Blacksburg, VA in sub zero weather to watch ORU take on the Va. Tech Hokies....we happened to meet Coach Jerry Hale in the lobby of the arena while watching shootaround and Jerry remembered me from the year before (I was on the Oracle staff)...he was most gracious and talked with my dad for a few minutes....he left us two primo seats for the game which ORU won thanks to a big performance by Anthony Roberts...it was a wild packed out arena that night, too....all i remember is our car being frozen the next morning...it was like -10 degrees down there....it was january of 1977 :-D:mrgreen:

That's what I love about road trips, eagleman. They're all memorable in one way or another. It's phenomenal when you go with some special people. It doesn't hurt that you got to see Anthony Roberts play. It's great when the coaches take time to talk to the fans as well.

Anyways, the thrill of the trip make the external difficult circumstances pale in comparison. Do it again soon, eagleman, and take some good folk with you.

Last year my son and I travelled to DC to watch ORU v. Georgetown....wanted to see Caleb Green and Ken Tutt but we got hammered pretty good....one of these years we will have to get back to Tulsa for a pair of weekend games...maybe next year.....