10 Reasons Why We Have a Chance

Old Titan

All this talk about us needing "the perfect game" to win this thing Thursday is "coach speak":  we didn't play perfect last year at Kansas; we just played better than KU.  Pitt's better is better than our better, to paraphrase the current Nike campaign and athletics cliche', but supposing they don't play the perfect game, here's ten reasons why we have a chance:

10. BEEN THERE, DONE THAT - third straight NCAA means this ain't our first rodeo.

9.  WE ARE WHAT WE ARE - this team has a keen sense of their own strengths and weaknesses, and tends to exploit and minimize them, respectively.

8.  JUST ANOTHER TOP 20 TEAM - our tough non-conference schedule means even a great team like Pitt won't intimidate us (as much?)

7.  THREE-POINT SHOOTING - Imagine if Jarvis, Ehambe and Liberty (or Marchello) were ALL on?  Who could beat us?

6.  TENACIOUS D - should carry us through the rough spots if we're not scoring

5.  THE LONG RUN - our length at all positions is not something Pitt will be expecting

4.  ALTITUDE - we've experienced it; they haven't

3.  GUS JOHNSON - he always calls an upset in the NCAA - probably why he was assigned to our game

2.  SPORTS ILLUSTRATED - if they think we can get to the Sweet Sixteen, then why not?

1.  ROBERT FREAKING JARVIS - 'nuf said.

I'd somewhat disagree with your opening statement, but I like the general tone of your post, OT.  Maybe it would be more accurate to say we need to play as well as we can, or as well as we know how 8-).

What I found interesting is that you didn't even include what I would consider the TOP FIVE reasons I think we have a chance :wink:

At this rate we'll have this game won before we even get to TIP-OFF!

All this talk about us needing "the perfect game" to win this thing Thursday is "coach speak":  we didn't play perfect last year at Kansas; we just played better than KU.  Pitt's better is better than our better, to paraphrase the current Nike campaign and athletics cliche', but supposing they don't play the perfect game, here's ten reasons why we have a chance:

10. BEEN THERE, DONE THAT - third straight NCAA means this ain't our first rodeo.

9.  WE ARE WHAT WE ARE - this team has a keen sense of their own strengths and weaknesses, and tends to exploit and minimize them, respectively.

8.  JUST ANOTHER TOP 20 TEAM - our tough non-conference schedule means even a great team like Pitt won't intimidate us (as much?)

7.  THREE-POINT SHOOTING - Imagine if Jarvis, Ehambe and Liberty (or Marchello) were ALL on?  Who could beat us?

6.  TENACIOUS D - should carry us through the rough spots if we're not scoring

5.  THE LONG RUN - our length at all positions is not something Pitt will be expecting

4.  ALTITUDE - we've experienced it; they haven't

3.  GUS JOHNSON - he always calls an upset in the NCAA - probably why he was assigned to our game

2.  SPORTS ILLUSTRATED - if they think we can get to the Sweet Sixteen, then why not?

1.  ROBERT FREAKING JARVIS - 'nuf said.

As the commercial goes....Thanks, I needed that!! 

On the road...three hours left to Denver...we'll talk to you on the backside of the game tonight!!  Watch for us...we'll be the ones wearing white!!  :-D

On the road...three hours left to Denver...we'll talk to you on the backside of the game tonight!!  Watch for us...we'll be the ones wearing white!!   :-D

Hope the Mrs is driving, Bogus :lol:!

This morning I went running at the YMCA and someone in the locker room asked everyone,

"Does anyone know anything about Oral Roberts?"

I opened my shirt and had my Golden Eagles basketball t-shirt on.

I proceeded to give them a quick run down of the ORU team and coaches.

They didn't know anything about ORU.  Everyone was quiet.

Hope everyone in Pittsburgh will be as quiet after the game today.

GO GOLDEN EAGLES!

Way to represent Cletus..... You made us proud.

I am sitting in my office with my ORU t-shirt, ORU (GEC) oxford shirt and ORU sweater vest on.

Okay, if we're running down our game-day attire, I'm wearing my navy blue scrub top with Eli the Golden Eagle emblazoned on the breast pocket.  I'm trying to do my part :wink:!

Dark blue "ORU Athletics" polo with my new ORU Baskeball Nike windbreaker given to me by my good friend, the director of security.

ORU beat TU shirt, ORU hat, athletic shorts (for all the movement i will be doing during the game-doesn't if feel like you are putting just as much energy in as you are watching the game?)  :-)

Grey T w/ Oral Roberts University block letters...my Eli shirt is already dirty!!!

(I'll have to wash it before Saturday)

I'm wearing my navy Eli golf shirt.

I think Moses is the key to this game.  If he is on fire, I think we win.  If he is cold, we lose.  If he is so-so, then Jarvis will have to play lights out.

... my new navy Oral Roberts "Final Four" with the entire bracket on the back that I ordered at the watch party and picked up at the bookstore yesterday

:-D

I agree..... hate to put it all on Moses' shoulders, but he is the key. If he is hitting, it will open Jarvis as well as the post players.

We need King and Lewis to play strong. They have to expect contact and physical play.... go ahead and play through it. Leave nothing back.... be aggressive and attack. We have played top teams (Texas, OSU, Arkansas) tough this year and are used to high level competition. The game will have ebbs and flows - we need to absorb their blows and give them some to see how they react.

Obviously, we are a 14 seed for a reason. Pitt is very good and on paper they should win. But this ORU team has a rendezvous with destiny....

We need King and Lewis to play strong. They have to expect contact and physical play.... go ahead and play through it. Leave nothing back.... be aggressive and attack.

But at the same time STAY OUT OF FOUL TROUBLE!!!

Are we asking too much :-D???

Obviously, we are a 14 seed for a reason. Pitt is very good and on paper they should win. But this ORU team has a rendezvous with destiny....

Not to be too picky... but we are a 13 seed.

:-D