Light hearted teasing...Ok...but this....

rlh

Guest EagleBackr

St Louie:

I DON'T know "rlh" - that's the point. All I have to go on by is his posts on the topic, which in my OPINION seemed to follow a certain pattern. Like all players, Caleb is not beyond reproach concerning his work ethic. I'm just wondering why he made such a big deal about it when he doesn't get to see Caleb play that much. Those of us who DO see Caleb play night in and night out know that he, too, is "a warrior"...

In short, I never called "rlh" a RACIST - I said I thought his assessment of Green's and Oppland's ultimate value on the floor may have been based on RACIAL BIAS - there is a difference...

Look, EB, I think every person who has come to rlh's defense has either met him or knows him personally, and that is why we support him strongly in this situation. The insinuation you make is simply ridiculous. You say you don't know him - so why make such an inflammatory remark about his character? I think ANYONE would take offense to that.

You have made remarks about Luke that NOBODY on this board agrees with. Luke happens to be white, but if he had been a black player, should you not be allowed to have the same opinions about his play? Or should you be considered racist because of those feelings?

Over on the TU board a bunch of people are frustrated with Price right now. Are you going to call them all racists?

rlh sees the hard work that Dan Oppland does every day, and feels that he's overcome a relative lack of athleticism to become an exceptional player because of it. THERE'S NOTHING RACIST ABOUT THAT!

It is very ugly to throw race into any discussion of players in the way that you have.

St Louie:

I DON'T know "rlh" - that's the point. All I have to go on by is his posts on the topic, which in my OPINION seemed to follow a certain pattern.

Then you don't have enough to go on, and spoke rashly.

Like all players, Caleb is not beyond reproach concerning his work ethic. I'm just wondering why he made such a big deal about it when he doesn't get to see Caleb play that much. Those of us who DO see Caleb play night in and night out know that he, too, is "a warrior"...

So why didn't you simply ask him, JUST THAT WAY? You didn't. You immediately (last year, I remember it well), leaped to the "obvious" conclusion.

In short, I never called "rlh" a RACIST - I said I thought his assessment of Green's and Oppland's ultimate value on the floor may have been based on RACIAL BIAS - there is a difference...

MAY have been???? Your language was a lot stronger than that my friend.

And just what is your definition of "racist" if not "assessment ... based on RACIAL BIAS"???????? I don't see the difference, myself.

Listen, I'm not saying rlh is CORRECT in his assessment of Caleb. That has never been my point in this thread. Maybe he is incorrect. He even allowed as he might have been biased by PARTISANSHIP - and so might you, of course. But rlh has been in this business as a commentator for a long time, and has earned the right to comment on Mid-Con players. He certainly knows them better than, say, Jay Bilas or any of the other ESPN pundits who might throw the Mid-Con a few scraps once a year.

In my protestant upbringing, I was taught to "put the best construction on everything." I fail as often as you do and as often as anyone does, but let's not pretend that is not precisely what we are required to do.

Rlh did not see him play as often as he saw Dan play, and he has ALWAYS admitted this. Maybe he caught him on an off-nite.

Furthermore, it does appear that perhaps he is not the ONLY pundit in the Mid-Con, to say nothing of other coaches, who may have expressed this opinion, so it is also not certain that he is basing this entirely on his own observations.

Finally, as I said earlier, he QUESTIONED his work ethic. He did NOT ACCUSE him of having a poor work ethic.

If you want to say that he was wrong and that his observations were faulty, it is entirely fair to disagree and to question rlh's REASONS for his assessment, which is quite a bit different from ACCUSING him of using inapropriate criteria. You really don't know what his criteria are until you ask him, but you NEVER did.

This is the LAST time I will respond to anything EB has to say about anything....but I wanted to clarify my comments...

I was not challenging you to a fight as you seem to think, my intent was to call attention to the fact that you don't have the "guts" to confront me face to face with your remarks. I've always wanted to be known as a lover, not a fighter....I can see where you could have interpreted my message that way, and for that I apologize....nothing else. If you ever get the intestinal fortitude to come face me and have a debate, I'm available...until then, I stand by my remarks.....

By the way, one final comment....the original remark that set you off, over a year ago, was something I repeated from one of your ORU fans about Green taking a game off now and then. It WAS NOT my original comment....I don't see him every game, so I would have no way of knowing for sure....

I am humbled by the support both on the Valpo board and here....I am truly sorry that this came up again...and can assure you that I will NEVER respond to this guy in the future about anything....Thank you again to all my friends who know me and understand that this would be totally out of my character. It is truly a warm feeling that I may not deserve, but certainly appreciate.....I do not understand why this person dislikes me so much, but sometimes you just can't get a person to understand. Again, thank you so much.

Dude, why do feel u have to defend yourself. If you're not a racist, why not just say so and let it go? People that don't know you are sometimes going to say all kinds of crazy things about you that might not always be true. The way you responded so viciously at Bkr would raise suspicion in my eyes that might have not been there previously.

and Mom, you were acting up pretty bad on the TU message board. And while I'm not agreeing with what bakr said about you, someone needed to draw the reigns in.

Personal feelings aside, i have no problem with Bkr's post. Do i agree with them 100%, no. Some issues he brought up about generalization of African American players is legit, but i think he could have done without the direct personal attack.

Bkr, u're a trip man. In all my years I have never seen you hide behind your opinion. How r u gonna slip now using Christianity to defend you post. C'mon dude. I was feeling you until you pulled the 'that's what a good chrisitian would do' card. U don't need that to legitimize what you said. It's your opinion and this is a message board. That is enough. u cold-hearted godzilla b******, i guess i'm gonna have to call King Kong to come whip that lizard (hiney).

Everyone else just needs to just chill out. It's Christmas for goodness sake. Whatever happened to 'Tis the season?

I've been a fan and supporter since 1969 and have no plans for that to change until I'm 6 feet under. Perhaps the familiarity has made me bolder in some of my statements than I should be. My New Year's resolution is to be a kinder, gentler version of myself, but I do have enough backbone to not hide behind a pen name and to take responsibility for my statements. Like me or hate me, what you see is what you get.

SEVERAL TIMES over the past two seasons he has specifically questioned Caleb's work ethic

You know who else questions Caleb's work ethic? Some of his teammates! I've heard a few of them last year say that he's lazy in practice and doesn't give his all until it's game time.

Guest Rob Marshall

Just checking in on the board on the eve of my trip to Norman, and "I guess" I'm pleased to find a "hot" thread weaving its way on the board again. Since the Golden Eagles have "disappointed" so many fans through the first month and a half of the schedule, board activity had fallen off accordingly so it's nice to see something sparking some life once again.

Perhaps Dr. EB is/was just "stiring the pot" a bit and mixing things up to get people going again with a passionate take ... well, if that were his motive, it worked.

Personally, I don't think a player's race should factor in when describing his contribution to the overall success of his team. However facts are facts, and black athletes have clearly become the rule rather than the exception when one thinks of the top hoops performers in the world and the value they bring to their teams. For example, consider the top scorers in the NBA ... Allen Iverson, Kobe Bryant, and LeBron James all are averaging 30.0+ ppg while Dirk Nowitzki (ranked 6th at 26.4 ppg) and Wally Szczerbiak (tied for 25th at 19.5 ppg) are the only white players listed among the NBA's top 25 scorers. Is the NBA racially motivated? And how about that new dress code David Stern initiated, what was that all about? :wink:

I know RLH and his son, and they are great guys and certainly not racially-motivated people. He's just a biased VU fan with an opinion that differs from most/all ORU fans. What's unexpected about that? :shock:

Two things we can count on ... (1) fans from rival schools (like ORU and Valpo) will have moments of insecurity sparked by words from passionate supporters of the other team and (2) EB will throw punches on various message board only to run and hide behind his message board alias. :idea:

Guest EagleBackr
...EB will throw punches on various message board only to run and hide behind his message board alias.

...better to post true feelings under an alias than to straddle the proverbial fences of ORU, TU, Kansas, Missouri State, Indiana and Texas Tech!! :wink:

Guest Rob Marshall

Who says I don't post my true feelings? Being upfront about my support of various teams/coaches is nothing but honest.

If I am being accused of liking more than one team/coach, then yes I am guilty as charged. But is that illegal or immoral? :roll: