Mart Green

OKC Eagle

The only thing this post has to do with basketball is tied to the future of ORU itself.  Mart Green is meeting with the Board of Regents tomorrow to explain his proposal.  Please pray that the Board will be humble, receptive and will have wisdom from God to do the right thing.  From what I have heard, our prayers are really needed.

There is a fear of releasing control from what I know but what the Green's really want is accountability, something that has been lacking for quite some time. If ORU somehow passes on this, I think it will be the beginning of the end.

ash  =o)

there is no way that the board of regents can turn down mr. green's generous offer.  if they do however turn down this chance to begin a new era of transparency, accountability, and financial viability, i suspect the small base of alumni that still support ORU would declare a pox on all their houses and a pox on ORU.

There is a fear of releasing control from what I know but what the Green's really want is accountability, something that has been lacking for quite some time. If ORU somehow passes on this, I think it will be the beginning of the end.

ash   =o)

I think theres' a good chance you're right, Ash.  The good will that has been built with alienated alumni, as well as those still connected, and it could spell disaster for the school.  Let's pray that reasoned minds and hearts prevail.

• 3 weeks later...

Chairman Green announced a few new changes today. What do you guys think of the Richard and Lyndsay moving out of university housing, and the Association moving out of the Prayer Tower?

I personally believe that it is a good thing that the presidential compound will be available for the new president. I also agree with the Association moving to a new location. I do wonder what they would do with an empty Prayer Tower?

The changes are good....

I would tear down the wall surrounding the compound - or better yet - sell the house.

Both moves make perfect sense.  In spite of the fact that I'm no big fan of Richard and Lindsay, I do feel a little bad for them that they are getting the boot from their home, but on the other hand, it was the abuse of the power that was given them that led to it.

I think moving the Association off campus is important in separating the two entities.  I hope that an appropriate use for the Prayer Tower can be found - it's such a central part of the campus, and has such historical significance to the University, I for one place great value in it's presence on campus.  It needs to continue to function in an important way at ORU.  

My association with Oral Roberts University started on a cold day in November of 1981, and on that day I saw the Eternal Flame burning on top of the Prayer Tower.  Twenty six years later it still burns.  I can't tell you exactly why, but just about every time I'm on campus I look at that flame, and seeing it still burning provides an inner contentment or peace or something that's hard to explain.  As silly as it may be, it's really meaningful to me.

I also love what the Prayer Tower represents, and have heard Oral talk about its geographic location on campus being strategic. 

One of the things that could help donors from the ministry side feel comfortable with all the transitions is for the BOT  to constantly hear what is being done to protect the spiritual heritage and culture of the school.

I would tear down the wall surrounding the compound - or better yet - sell the house.

There are actually about 6 houses in there.  It would make a nice littel gated community if it were sold.  But, it might be a good perk to draw a better presidential candidate to take the job.

I hope that an appropriate use for the Prayer Tower can be found - it's such a central part of the campus, and has such historical significance to the University, I for one place great value in it's presence on campus.  It needs to continue to function in an important way at ORU.  

The Prayer Tower should be used for its namesake.  24-7 Prayer (http://www.24-7prayer.us/) is pursuing an effort to raise up 24-7 prayer rooms on every college campus in the U.S.  It just makes sense that, especially at ORU, there should be a room dedicated to continued unbroken prayer...

The Prayer Tower should be used for its namesake.  24-7 Prayer (http://www.24-7prayer.us/) is pursuing an effort to raise up 24-7 prayer rooms on every college campus in the U.S.  It just makes sense that, especially at ORU, there should be a room dedicated to continued unbroken prayer...

I agree - that would be perfect.

I've lost touch...is the lawsuit still in the works or did they drop that?

I spoke with one of the trustees about that after Sat. night's game - the law suit continues on.  Can't really tell you more about it than that.

I don't think the lawsuit has much credence - but I am not a lawyer. They have had to amend the lawsuit seven times because they keep screwing it up. I read the original lawsuit and it appeared to be written by a first year law student. Pretty pathetic.... The Brookers were never fired; one of them did not have their contract renewed and the other resigned.

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I would think that the lawsuit would be dropped by now. Swails dropped his part in the suit and is back teaching on campus. With all of the changes with the administration and BOR, it seems that someone who actually cared about the school would drop their portion also. Now it just looks like a desperate attempt to bring more embarrassment to ORU.

If the Roberts' home is used for the next president- what would happen with the other homes in the compound?

You have to question the Brookers' motives a bit. I don't think they want to take the case to trial given their background. I assume that settlement discussions are taking place. Mart Green obviously thinks little of their case....

I don't think the lawsuit has much credence - but I am not a lawyer. They have had to amend the lawsuit seven times because they keep screwing it up. I read the original lawsuit and it appeared to be written by a first year law student. Pretty pathetic.... The Brookers were never fired; one of them did not have their contract renewed and the other resigned.

A first year law student would have gotten a failing grade for writing that lawsuit because it failed to comply with the Oklahoma rules for pleadings.  A first year communications major might have gotten a C- for it as a press release.

Swails settled his case.  I always thought he was the only one with any possible case.  Although, after I saw ORU's pathetic excuse for a tenured faculty contract, I realized he had no breach of contract claim because ORU had no obligations under the contract.  Reading that contract made me more mad than any other piece of news that came out in the last 6 months (my father has been a prof at ORU for 40 years).