Vealy Suspended

tmh8286

Rick Couri announced on KRMG this morning that Marchello Vealy has been suspended. That means that he DIDN'T make the trip to Utah State. That's bad news for the Golden Eagles, but I'm glad Coach Sutton did the right thing in this situation, i.e. enforced the policies set for the team. No reason given for the suspension - only said "violation of team rules."

ORU suspends Vealy

By MIKE BROWN World sports writer

12/20/2005

ORU freshman forward Marchello Vealy was suspended Monday and will miss one game, head coach Scott Sutton said.

Sutton said the action was taken because the 6-foot-7 Vealy violated a team rule, but declined further comment. Vealy will miss Tuesday's game at Utah State.

Vealy was averaging 3.9 points and 1.7 rebounds in 10.3 minutes per game. He had scored in double figures in two of his last four games.

Sutton said Vealy's 10-point, five-rebound game at Northern Colorado on Dec. 11 was his best of the season.

*banging head on desk*

At least its only one game, but it'd sure be nice to beat the Aggies tonight and we're going to need all the help we can get.

It was the earring!

Na, j/k. This isn't a good sign, but hopefully everyone can move on, Chello can sit out his game, and the team can get back on track.

This suspension is very intriguing. Of course, inquiring minds want to know why, but know that it is somewhat impolite to ask. Nevertheless, here's my 2 cents worth:

First, it is safe to infer that our coaching staff will exhause every possible option before resorting to suspension. Why do I say this? We have had many players since DT and Leon Irving make some bone-headed decisions and NOT get suspended. This includes significant honor-code violations where guys got CAUGHT, not just "rumored" to have done stupid stuff. With that in mind, I'm led to believe that either:

1) Chello either made one "bad" boneheaded decision

2) He's been making a bunch of "little" boneheaded decisions and coach just ran out of patience.

Either way, it is likely that coach was also inspired to pull the trigger and send a message to the budding freshman in hopes to correct his course for the next four years.

My hope is that this was one "bad" decsion and he can learn from it and move on. But if this has been building up and we didn't see it coming, well....yuck! Probably time to pull LSG out of the med school process and hire him as the "team leader without a jersey."

Out of curiosity, ORUHomer, do you think that this is significantly more than missing chapel or class? That's what I figured it was. Your experience would indicate otherwise?

I'd be willing to bet that it's more than that. I've never known any of the guys to get disciplined for missing class (which was a regular thing) or missing chapel (again, not uncommon).

Those TU frat parties always seem to attract the freshman players...

We sure have been playing like them!

I agree with tmh that Sutton did the right thing in suspending Veally. What the incident was isn't really of that much importance. I just hope Marchello learns from it and doesn't become bitter...

It would be a safe bet to say that if it were missing chapel or missing class, it would have to be an obscene number to quailify for a one game suspension. Traditionally, "internal" discipline for things like chapel or class amounts to a lot of running at an ungodly hour of the morning, but not a suspension.

My worry is not so much with what he did (or didn't do), but that it warranted suspension in the first place. ouch. Like the previous posts have indicated, let's hope he is able to move forward and get past this.

Then again, it did give us something intriguing to talk about today leading up to the game tonight.

Note to Moses Ehambe: Tonight would be a really good time to shine!