Hobby Lobby offers ORU $70 Million!

Sterns78

Every time i read that press release my brain reinterprets that to say..

"Pat Rpbertson has expressed interest in EXPLOITING Options for the the future of ORU." 

It's creepy. Im no prophet, but i hope this isn't the case.

I get the exact same feeling.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUalum

• ORUTerry

• vcboy2000

• Sterns78

I'm a Pat fan. Good guy...grew up watching him on 700 club, so on and so forth...

But, just personally, I sure hope the next presidential candidate has never stood on a stage for the purpose of ministry or preaching...I'd be ecstatic if they found somebody that I had never heard of with a long, accomplished resume, respect in the Christian business community, and deep understanding of what ORU has been, is, and aspires to be along with a dedication to never depart from its founding principles.

That said, I don't mind if Regents comes in and does a little consulting...just kinda scary what strings might come along with that...

That said, I don't mind if Regents comes in and does a little consulting...just kinda scary what strings might come along with that...

While I fully agree, we also don't know yet what strings come attached with the Mart Green $ either.  What I've heard so far has been all positive - I just hope it stays that way!

I think I mentioned that I heard Mart Green interviewed on the radio this week, but I couldn't find the post in a casual search for it.  A couple of things about the interview - Green pointed out that there were strings attached, although he didn't specify.  The insinuation was that they would include two seats on the board and that ORU practices "good governance", whatever that means.  If there are other strings he didn't state them.

Those things are commonly known, though.  The point that caught my attention in the interview was that he said their goal with the two seats on the Board of Regents were to see to it that ORU got off on a good foot, corrected problems, regained public trust, etc., and then they would move on.  He specifically said that he wasn't intending or interested in a long term relationship with ORU.  THAT made me think that the strings that come attached with his money would be totally reasonable ones.

I get the exact same feeling.

i would like to think pat's motives are pure...but it feels like he smells blood in the water.  i suspect he sees ORU in it's present weakened state as a possible acquition for his empire.

Pat Robertson?  I hope that's someone's idea of a joke. I was sort of hoping that the University's administration would take on a more, you know, academic quality.

I am not a fan of Pat Robertson and don't really know what role Regent sees for itself relative to ORU - but, Pat Robertson graduated with honors from Washington & Lee (History degree) and has a law degree from Yale. He also served in the Marines. Regent has a good academic reputation.

I don't doubt that Pat Robertson is intelligent, but I don't think it would be correct to label him academic. I believe the University side needs an administration that is a little more "boring" for lack of a better term. Any involvement by Pat Robertson will get ORU back in the headlines (in a bad way. He's too political.

I seriously doubt that Pat Robertson would be the choice of the board's selection committee as the next president of ORU. I really think Pearson's and the rest of the board is secretly glad Richard Roberts is gone. They can now truly be an independent board that is free to make decisions for the good of the university without any pressure.

Personally, I think this guy would be a great president for ORU.

dynmgr.dynglry.showthumb?v_picid=1410

Dr. Thomas Matthew

He's got great academic credentials: 1 degree from Karala in India, 2 from Yale, 1 from ORU, and 1 from OSU.

He loves the University and can really indentify with it's mission: He served as a chaplain in the city of faith hospital when it was first built, and prayed with its first patient.

He lives a life of integrity: Despite making a nice salary ($80K) for being the Dean of the School of Theology and Missions (graduate and undergraduate), he drives a Honda Accord, lives in a modest 4 bedroom house in Jenks, and gives most of his money to further the gospel in his native home of India.

The only thing that he doesn't have is a background from a financial management perspective, which is something Pearson's mentioned would be one of the qualifications. 

This guy was one of my favorite to hear in chapel. Really engaging, inspirational, and seemingly very genuine.

But we HAVE to have someone who will come in and treat the university like a business in disarray and take the next 5-10 years to turn it around financially. Dr. Matthew would be a great leader and example - good person to have on stage twice a week as the president at chapel but probably couldn't provide the fiscal leadership that someone who has actually been in the business world.

• 5 weeks later...

it looks like Richard may be beginning a media rehabilitation campaign and it looks like he started w/Pat Robertson.

i still say Robertson makes me nervous and may have intentions of swooping in to try to increase his empire.

a real puff piece interview from Robertson.  the only real news was RR claiming that he never wanted to be president

of ORU and was actually the fifth choice to take over after Oral stepped down (never heard that one before).

Richard Roberts w/Pat Robertson on 700 club: