Hobby Lobby offers ORU $70 Million!

Sterns78

I eluded to it earlier and now that the cat is out of the bag I can say more. This is not really a "gift" it is more of an accountability endowment. The money will require everyone to clean up their act, this includes all members of the board, many will not be retained. ORU will not be a fundraising source for any ministry that will personally enrich anyone, it will be a debt free University focused on God's work. There will be no more prosperity message crap. It will be a community focused on preparing young people for their future and helping them with God's plan for their life.

Leadership without accountability almost always leads to corruption. With the financial support coming from one entity, and that entity only asking for integrity, there is now the ultimate accountability.

ash  =o)

I hope you are correct...

That would be an amazing change. Especially if we could get Hagee, Dollar, Copeland, and Hinn off the BOR.

I could never stomach the prosperity message stuff...

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUalum

• ORUTerry

• vcboy2000

• tmh8286

This isn't a coincidence. He gave BECAUSE Richard is gone.

Or, is Richard gone because of the offer?

I'll wager you this much:  If the regents knew of the offer before the vote on accepting RR's resignation, I'll bet the pre-vote discussion could have been clocked with an egg timer!

I don't think they (BOR) knew of this before hand.... but who cares.

I am hearing that there are 2 or 3 other major donors that have also approached ORU. And watch for other gifts and alumni involvement.

Detach the ministry from the university and institute financial integrity and accountability.... and this is what will result.

ORU is undergoing a new genesis.

God is faithful.

In addition, watch for unprecedented openess to occur on the campus. The school will apply for Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability (ECFA)  membership.

The three BOR members (Hinn, Copeland and Hagee) that are under Senate investigation were NOT present yesterday.  BOR members serve three year terms - watch for them to quietly leave.

The boards of ORU and ORM are essentially the same. This is going to change. Watch to see that most of the ministers stay with ORM and the business people go with ORU.

Definitely a great day for the University! I think anyone that took that Advertising / Marketing class with Dr. Allen (God rest his soul) had to do a campaign for Mardel. I think it's great what Mart Green is doing - giving back to a university which has probably helped his company make some money.

Though I do think I remember somewhere about him requesting 2 seats on the BOR for his family members.

Yeah, what's that about? Well I guess I can't really blame the guy, if I dropped $70 million somewhere I would want a say in their affairs.

Hopefully all the changes won't come from the voice of one person though

Greatest day in school history???

1. 70 mil gift from the Green family

2. 2 mil gift from unnamed donor

3. Regents accept Richard's resignation

4. Regents agree to seperate the leadership and finances of OREA and ORU

5. ORU pounds TU in basketball

Other than the founding day? Yes, the greatest day.

Yeah, what's that about? Well I guess I can't really blame the guy, if I dropped $70 million somewhere I would want a say in their affairs.

Hopefully all the changes won't come from the voice of one person though

i really don't have a problem with "T. Boone Green" requesting a couple of seats on the board.  like you said i'm sure he is wanting to insure his money is well spent/invested.  i read in an article somewhere some comments that he may want to change the makeup of the board (something to the effect that they oversaw this mess as it was made).  hopefully ORUTerry is right and the ministers will migrate to the ORM board and more Christian business men and women will fill in the slots on the ORU board.

KOTV has posted a 12min interview w/Green about the gift and about ORU.

worth the time...sounds like he is saying all the right things.

http://kotv.com/e-clips/news/

daily oklahoman video inteview w/green by their business reporter

http://www.newsok.com/video/brightcove/?bctid=1326159284&bclid=1111621425

Here is an interesting article on Mart Green that tells a little bit about his background and passions.  I understand that he was also a financial backer behind "Facing the Giants".

From Film Neophyte to Movie Mogul

Before recently, Mart Green had never been in a movie theater, but he's the driving force behind two new films about the 1956 missionary martyrs in Ecuador?and the tribe that killed them.

by Mark Moring

Mart Green wouldnt be your first choice to be the driving force behind a movie, much less two of them. After all, until just a few years ago, the 42-year-old retailing magnate had never even been in a theater!

Green grew up in a conservative Christian home where movies were shunned, though his parents could've bought the local theater?or a whole chain of them, for that matter. His father, David Green, founder and CEO of Hobby Lobby, is listed among Forbes' 400 Richest Americans with a net worth of some $1.2 billion.

A product of that retail world, Mart Green is now founder and CEO of Mardel Christian and Education Supply stores?so he's also got a few bucks to spend. Several years ago, he decided to spend some of it promoting the Bible in a nationwide marketing campaign similar to the "Got Milk?" blitz. He'd even chosen the slogan: "This Book Is Alive."

http://www.christianitytoday.com/movies ... green.html

He had nothing to do with FTG...  I also got the scoop on Regent University officials coming to talk about running ORU. They would not "own" the school, but would run it I believe. Not real sure how I feel about that one.

ash  =o)

He had nothing to do with FTG...   I also got the scoop on Regent University officials coming to talk about running ORU. They would not "own" the school, but would run it I believe. Not real sure how I feel about that one.

ash   =o)

I appreciate the financial gift that Robertson has made to ORU, but something doesn't seem right about the idea. If he really wants to help, why not offer his advice and the advice of his administrators and leave it at that.

I get the feeling that this is something set in motion last week - before the Green gift - when ORU was in dire straits.

Now it is just another option (or something additional?) that ORU is considering. Nothing wrong with looking at all of your options. That said, I don't know what Regent brings to the table unless they are going to 'endow' the university and essentially take over. Then ORU loses its independence and distinctiveness. I don't see the attraction.

Now it is just another option (or something additional?) that ORU is considering. Nothing wrong with looking at all of your options. That said, I don't know what Regent brings to the table unless they are going to 'endow' the university and essentially take over. Then ORU loses its independence and distinctiveness. I don't see the attraction.

Couldn't agree more, Big T.  "Regents West University" doesn't feel right in my book.  George Pearsons was interviewed on KRMG this AM, and he sounded excited about the involvement of Regents University at ORU.  He said that representatives of Regents were coming to ORU to see how they may be able to help.  He didn't necessarily make it sound like there was going to be some sort of joint arrangement, more like they were just coming to see what they could do to improve the situation.  He also said that the ORU Board of Regents was exploring all of their options, including the Green donation, the Pat Robertson deal, and others. 

Still, this quote from the paper this morning leaves me feeling cold:  "'We are pleased to report that Dr. Pat Robertson has contacted members of the board of regents and has expressed interest in exploring options for the future of ORU with Regent University,' Pearsons said."

Every time i read that press release my brain reinterprets that to say..

"Pat Rpbertson has expressed interest in EXPLOITING Options for the the future of ORU." 

It's creepy. Im no prophet, but i hope this isn't the case.

Yeah, if merely for the sake of ORU having its own identity (or better yet, an identity that isn't Pat Robertson's), I hope that ORU doesn't become Regent West or anything of the sort.

I understand that Pat wants to help and everything, but I think we're on the right track without him at the moment.