Game

EagleFanatic

Mark Neely indicated the stats were not reliable, but I think I heard Sutton say our guards combined for 5 of 27 shooting from the field. Caleb lights up for 31 points and we lose by more than 20. Man, this is bad news going into our next three "name" games.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUIsbig

• EagleFanatic

• ORUTerry

• tmh8286

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, this is definitely odd... 3-point shooting for the night -

Caleb and Mickey combined - 4-for-5

Everyone else - 2-for-14

One of those things that makes you go "Hmm..."

I saw the Rajin Cajuns play 2 years ago in Tucson. They ripped us to pieces in the Fiesta Bowl Classic and then upset the host school in the championship game - except for a corner 3 by Hassan Adams with 1.5 seconds to go. It was a real eye-opener. I was naively assuming we'd get a rematch with the Wildcats.

I haven't been following them this year, but I was very impressed with their program and their coach, who used to be an assistant under Lute Olson.

With you guys shorthanded due to injuries, it's not too hard to imagine that they were simply better than you tonight. Not that that excuses poor play, of course, should that adjective fit, but they are probably a tough team to beat any year.

You'll probably be back up to strength in a few weeks if not sooner, just in time for the Mid-Con season.

When do we go from a 'slumping team" to a 'not any good" team?

Good question. Tutt has been in a slump since the end of last year's Mid-Con regular season. We NEED his production. Caleb can only carry this team on his back so far.

Here is the box score.... our guards are killing us.

Not only that - where was our defense? La-La scored 95 against us - more than any team this season. Sure makes you wonder. Although we've got three injured, only one is a starter or a player getting significant minutes. That shouldn't mess up our defense THAT much.

From the box score it looks like the home team was red hot - shot 61% for the game, and 55% from behind the arc. Not bad for a 1-5 team!!

I'm willing to admit that maybe ASHVid is right. Maybe we DO miss Luke more than we realize.

I do know, we ain't nearly as good as I thought we'd be.

I think we (staff, players, and fans) may be pressing too hard after last years ending. Maybe the staff needs to lighten things up, rather than "pressing" harder. Perhaps a lighter practice load and a "let's have fun" attitude would do the trick.....Let the horses run a little.

I'm willing to admit that maybe ASHVid is right. Maybe we DO miss Luke more than we realize.

I do know, we ain't nearly as good as I thought we'd be.

I think maybe Riouse is more important to this team than we think.

1. fairly accurate from 3 (when he gets to shoot)

2. Good defence on perimeter players (something we could have used last night)

3. decent size (the main problem with bluitt's D and Tutt's sort of D)

How strong is caleb to continue to produce when the team gives him no help.

How good is larry to get what 9 pts and 11 rebounds last night. 4 offencive rebounds. Larry is doing his part.

What that means is Tutt is not. even though he is still scoring 14 pts he is shooting bad and taking away possesions. Play him at the point, limit his shots and give Riouse the "shoot away" signal. It couldn't hurt.

Maybe we start off with a struggle, then at the end of the season we go out with a bang. Just the opposite of many years past.

Yeah, 3 games in March are all that matters. I'll keep telling myself that to try to avoid the reality that this team is underachieving pretty bad. They need a visit from Jon Gruden or something.

Most teams don't shoot well the entire year.......but.... good teams seem to pick it up on defense during slumps. The problem is, this team has never been a good defensive team.....so.....this is it until the outside shot comes back.

Hopefully it will be there in MARCH!!!!!!

Jon Gruden--- now you are talking. However, after the Super bowl the last two years have been real low but this year I am really suprised how he is doing Blue! They have a big challenge this week in New England. This is a must win for them and their playoff status. Being a Bucs fan since 85 has been more downs than ups. Kind of like ORU Basketball eh? :wink:

Step away from the ledge.....

Guys, a season (and even a game) can see a lot of fluctuations. The key is how the team (and staff) handles the ups and the downs. They need to get tougher and learn from this adversity. Obviously our lack of a perimeter game is killing us right now. Our guards will hopefully adjust and find their shooting touch. I believe our lack of offensive output is affecting our defensive effort on the other side of the court. Maybe the answer is to focus intensely on defense and let the scoring come...

It is interesting to see how Texas Tech has struggled this season: they have lost to LA Tech (68 to 53 at home), San Francisco (90 to 72) and Syracuse (81 to 46). Not sure if they are a young squad but they certainly are well coached and have talent.

The thing I want to see is some progress over the next couple of weeks. It may be hard to see given the teams we will be playing, but we need to show some grit and character. The season is a marathon and we have to stay focused - not let the particular circumstances dictate our attitude. We start league play in just a couple of weeks - on the road. Let's not dig ourselves a hole.

A few of things...

1) 3 games in March aren't all that matters. I don't want to just "make the tourney", that's crap, I want to win in the tourney. I want to get a 13 seed and go knock off a 4 and make some national news, not win the mid-con and get a 15 and get run off the court, that sucks. This team is talented enough to get a 13ish seed, but the games we've been losing are the ones we have to win to get some respect.

2) Our problems stem from Ken. Caleb is lights out, Mickey is the best he's been, Larry is doing everything, but Ken isn't hitting anything. Chris has looked great so far this year, and when he's healthey again, deserves some minutes. My biggest question is this, what are the coaches telling Ken? He hasn't shot a good percentage almost all year, and yet he's taking 19 shots? And this isn't the first time either, he's done this multiple times this year, and still he plays 38 a game and takes 15+, I don't get it.

3) We don't have a defensive presence. Last night, 2 blocked shots. People are taking it to the hoop on us all day, we aren't pressuring the shot, everyone (outside of TU) is having career nights on us. As long as I've been watchin ORU, we have been playing man D. Does anyone else think that maybe we should change it up some or something? Obviously the man D isn't doin so great right now, why can't we change it up some? Just some, that's all I want. I know that the few times this year that we have pressed, at least 50% of the time the other team has turned the ball over. I think that changing it up just a little could have a positive effect, especially until we figure out what's happening with our man D.

Coaches better figure something out, this is not good....