ORU sets a tough schedule - TW (7-31-2007)

ORUTerry

As everyone has already stated, this Schedule has got to be one of the toughest in a long time.  I AM glad that we're playing a Law(less) A&M as well as a Durant(less) UT...Not that its a 50/50 game either way, but I like our chances of a KU like showing without those two monsters around. 

Did the kid from Utah State that was so highly thought of graduate?

If we can get some point prod. from a couple of the new guys, I feel that we'll gel a lot more quickly than in other years b/c of the Canada Trip.  Getting to coach the guys for 2+ weeks before and during that trip will help the coaches get a handle on what they have.  Rotations, combinations, etc will come together earlier. 

Should be a very exciting year for us because we have no idea what we have.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUTerry

• ORU-sisko

• ORU Eli

• vcboy2000

Top Posters In This Topic

For some reason Jaycee Carroll (Utah St.'s unstoppable guard) is how I envision Rotnei Clarke's college game.

Yep, Carroll is back. Utah State will be one of the toughest games on the schedule. They are a disciplined, well coached team and rarely lose at home.

For some reason Jaycee Carroll (Utah St.'s unstoppable guard) is how I envision Rotnei Clarke's college game.

That is an excellent point..... Carroll is not the most athletic player, but very smart and crafty. He does all the little things well - besides being a terrific shooter.

Nope on the Utah State game. Their best player is back and that will be a tough game also.

...and it's a tough place to play.  We were so close in stealing a game a couple years ago.  Ken Tutt had an incredible second half and brought us back.  Larry Owens was called for a foul in the closing seconds sending their point guard to the free throw line for the first time the entire season.  He went on to drain both free throws to win the game.  A heartbreaker after such an unbelievable comeback.  Ken was making shots from anywhere with two hands in his face.  It was something to see.

Utah state has lost a grand total of 12 home games in the last 9 years.  They are great at home. 

Well, we will definitely have a lot of great games to look forward to this season. Everybody will definitely want to buys that ELIve package on the website. Hope the Summit League servers are strong enough to handle the traffic. Our young team will be tested very early and often. The prospectus on several of our players is great, but we have to remember to give them a little bit of time to transition to the D-1 game and develop chemistry. I agree with the person that posted the reply to the TW article about the Cornerstone trio. This team has the potential to be extremely good now, but even greater down the road. The thought of possibly adding a player the caliber of Rotnei Clarke to that mix is unthinkable. I am very impressed with what our coaching staff have been able to do, and look forward to many more pleasant surprises in the future. Here's to another great 4 years of ORU Basketball after the Green and Tutt era.

Utah state has lost a grand total of 12 home games in the last 9 years.  They are great at home. 

Yeah; and KANSAS had only lost ten games at home since 1994!

If you are right about UTEP and Texas A&M-CC, that would give us tremendous exposure in Texas for future recruits - and current players, not to mention the alums we have in the Lone Star state.

Wonder if we can get a bus trip down to Austin? The Alumni Office should at least arrange an event.

While Austin is certainly a much nicer town for a 2 or 3 day trip, wouldn't you rather go to College Station where the games will be played? :lol:

Always best to be where the games are played....

I was thinking about the game with the Longhorns on Dec 18th though. It is a bit closer for the Tulsa fans and it might be a possibility for a road trip. Not sure how feasible a bus trip to College Station would be - though it would be for two games.

Wonder how many televised games we could have this year? The OSU game will be on tv - and the ESPN bracketbuster game could be. What about the Texas A&M (Pre-season NIT) and the game with Texas? Maybe Fox Sports-SW will pick one or both of them up.

7777 S Lewis to College Station 435 miles

7777 S Lewis to Austin 450 miles

Either way you can stop in Dallas to pick up Sterns, Eli and me.

I guess I flunked Texas geography.... I would have sworn that Austin was closer than College Station. Hey, let's do two road trips!

I used to make the trip from Austin to Tulsa or visa versa in right at about 7 hours. In a bus, I'm guessing you're looking at like 8 1/2 maybe? I'm definitely going to make the trip to Austin or College Station, if not both but would welcome an ORU party bus to jump on if it happened to stop in Dallas on the way down...=)

I guess I flunked Texas geography.... I would have sworn that Austin was closer than College Station. Hey, let's do two road trips!

I'm down for 2 road trips!