****The Official "Wish Caleb Well"/ NBA Draft Central Discussion Thread****

vcboy2000

Allright, Caleb Green fans!

Let's cheer on one of the greatest players to ever don an ORU jersey tonight as he pursues one of his greatest dreams to play in the NBA! This is the thread where we can show our support and wish Caleb well.

Great idea, VCB - I do wish Caleb the best as he pursues his dream.  From every indication he's very grounded in this process, recognizing his limitations, but working hard to overcome them.  Nothing would thrill my heart more than to see Caleb selected tonight (although getting the baseball team to the College World Series wouldn't have been half bad), but I'll be keeping up with him regardless of where he ends up.

Good luck tonight, Caleb!

Green and Richard Moving Into Second Round Picture

Caleb Green and Chris Richard both impressed with their play in Orlando and have impressed in workouts with teams since, both guys are considered likely to find a spot in the second round.

posted two hours ago.

http://nbadraft.net/draftbuzz074.asp

I'll be crossing my fingers with you tonight Caleb, we all know your work ethic will make you a success no matter what happens.

Wishing you all the best!  :mrgreen:

Caleb has worked out for 6 different NBA teams, and he's on everybody's radar.

If he goes undrafted, it would seem he wouldn't have a problem hooking up with someone's summer league team and maybe earning an invite to camp (camps?) in the fall.

I wonder if the money for a late second round pick is a whole lot better than a free agent contract, especially a free agent contract for a guy already in the limelight like him.

All things considered, it appears he would be better off going undrafted and having some negotiating leverage as a free agent, as opposed to getting drafted late and being stuck with only that team to bargain with.

Anybody else know any reasons why he would want to be drafted late?

I am torn.... I would love to see Caleb's name announced on the draft, but I think he is better served (more likely to make a team) if he is a free agent.

Caleb is a remarkably centered young man considering the praise and accolades that he has collected. His interview with Geoff Haxton (see other thread for link) was remarkable in how realistic and humble he is. Caleb understands the hurdles that he faces, but is challenging each one in pursuit of his goal. A lesson we could all learn.

Teams would do well to have a player of Caleb's character and work ethic on its squad. Even if he is role player (initially), his attitude and hustle will rub off and have a postive impact on the team.

I remember seeing discussions on the Valpo board a few years back saying something to the effect that Bryce Drew probably stayed in the NBA a year or two longer than he was useful to the team as a player because he presented a very positive image to his community, was involve this civic activities and the like.  I could really see Caleb becoming that sort of player a team that he plays on. 

As he has done at ORU, Caleb has the potential to represent an organization he's associated it a very positive light.  That is a hidden value to Caleb that could very well be overlooked in this process.  Not that that is given a whole lot of value in the NBA . . .

I have butterflies thinking of the draft tonight. As a loyal Caleb fan, I wish him the best, but I also realize that there is a perfect plan for his life and believe that Caleb has the wisdom to recognize it however it unfolds.

Best wishes!!

ORU benefits the most if Caleb gets drafted.  The coaching staff can tell recruits they CAN make it to the NBA at ORU.

Caleb is better off not getting drafted because it will give him more freedom to work with multiple teams this summer.  If he's drafted, he's locked into that team for a while and faces the chance of getting cut.

I'd sure love to see Caleb get drafted because that's a rare experience.  Not too many people can say they got drafted in the NBA.  With that said, Caleb will get his shot with the NBA no matter what happens tonight.

I wish him the best of luck, and I know he will make us all proud.  I've said it many times, but ORU is very lucky to have a person (not just a basketball player) like Caleb Green.  A first class guy, no doubt.

Believe it or not... the NBA has done it's homework on Caleb's personal life.  I'd be very surprised if they found one thing they didn't approve.  Caleb went through lengthy interviews, and the NBA personnel made many phone calls to find out about his family background.  Teams put up with stuff from "franchise players", but they don't want problems from players at the bottom of the roster.

I understand the money argument as to why it would be better for him to go undrafted, but why would it increase his chances of making a team? The team that would select him would more than likely be one of the teams he has worked out for. He will probably end up on their summer league team anyway. Enlighten me please, OT.

I would think that if he gets drafted by a team with the right needs in the 2nd round, then it would be a good opportunity for him. 

I would think that a 2nd round draft pick has a better chance of making a team than a free agent. 

If a team has 2 players that they perceive to be similar, and only one roster spot available, and one player was a 2nd round pick while the other was a free agent, I would think they would take the 2nd round pick to save face.

Not only to save face, but to save money also. A free agent could command a larger salary.

I understand the money argument as to why it would be better for him to go undrafted, but why would it increase his chances of making a team? The team that would select him would more than likely be one of the teams he has worked out for. He will probably end up on their summer league team anyway. Enlighten me please, OT.

I think it depends on the GM, and whether he's drafting for now, or drafting for the future.  If it's a "now" guy, he might like Caleb's potential in the immediate future due to his attitude and hard-work, but might worry about his ability to physically hang with the big dogs.  A "future" guy might not be too impressed with Caleb's "measurables" like height, vertical jump, etc. but might be more willing to take a flyer on Caleb as a longer term "project".  Either way, that GM has some explaining to do to his team's fans for taking a guy in the draft who is not a consensus pick.  Might be safer for that GM to pass on a guy like Caleb, take a more imposing physical guy from Europe or something, and hope that Caleb (and guys like him) is around after the draft for the picking.  That's why i really feel if he goes undrafted, there will be a "bargain basement" rush for guys like him, and he will sign a free agent deal pretty quick.

Looks like 10pm or later before we know anything.  If Caleb gets drafted I think it  will be 43,46,47,48,49,50 or 51 or the last pick, because that's who he had the best workouts with.  Bulls, Lakers, Mavericks, Wizzards or Warriors.

alright, pick 59 and 60 are up....last call for Caleb........

who knows....if he goes, it'll be 60 to Dallas.....

Well, that's the draft folks. We didn't get to hear our guys name called, but we know that this is not the end of his chances for the NBA. Caleb has never gotten the easy road handed to him, and even if it was I doubt he would take it. Hopefully those close to him and others "in the know" can keep us updated on his journey through the summer.

Caleb gets passed over in the late second round for the future rights to a bunch of young Euros who won't even be signing this season, then spends the next day fielding summer league invites from the same teams that expressed interest in him all along:

Tulsa World:  Green Will Join Mav's For League

I think Caleb getting passed over in the draft may have been a calculated risk by the teams involved, as much as anything.  I think a couple of them have been really interested in him all along, and this is just the way they go about it in the big leagues.

Why waste a draft pick on a guy that you're pretty sure no one else is going to draft, either?

Prediction:  Caleb will play first - and more - in the NBA than JamesOn Curry.

That was a good article in the TW. Sounds like caleb is doing just fine for himself. Glad to hear he got those offers for the summer camps already. Dallas should be good, it said Dallas was considering to pick caleb in that 60th pick before giving it to orlando....I wonder how close they came to choosing him.