Mayhem in Macomb

Old Titan

I'm having the same problems with the video.  Very frustrating.

OT has a good explanation of the fake IBB.  Unbelievable.

A little more detail - it was 2-2 when their coach went to the mound and appeared to order the IBB.  After ball 3, the catcher stayed standing with his glove out, and they tried to sneak in a strike.  Fortunately, Van Kirk was paying attention and hit it foul.  Then on the next pitch he hit the RBI double.

I thought it was odd when they called for the IBB with 2 strikes, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone try a fake one.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• ORUTerry

• valpotx

• tmh8286

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe we changed our mind about walking him.  It doesn't sound like on the second pitch the catcher signaled for it again, after OT's description.

Please explain to those of stuck at work without a radio.....

This is all according to our announcer, a former baseball player who knows a "deek" when he sees one:

ORU was batting in the top of the 8th with a runner on second, first base open, and a hitter's count to Van Kirk.

The Valpo coach signals for an intentional walk.

The pitcher soft tosses to a standing catcher for another ball.

Then, the pitcher fires a pitch into a suddenly crouching catcher, trying to catch Van Kirk unawares.

Van Kirk reacted and swung, fouling the ball down the 3rd base line for a strike.

Next pitch come in conventionally, and Van Kirk gets an RBI hit down the right field line.

Good guys slam the door with some sparkling defense and power pitching in the final two innings.

4-2 final.

Hefner goes the distance.... nice job. Sweet win. Now to sit back and see if we play Centenary or Valpo for the championship.

Who pitches tomorrow? Sullivan or Ashman? Nice to have that choice....

This is all according to our announcer, a former baseball player who knows a "deek" when he sees one:

ORU was batting in the top of the 8th with a runner on second, first base open, and a hitter's count to Van Kirk.

The Valpo coach signals for an intentional walk.

The pitcher soft tosses to a standing catcher for another ball.

Then, the pitcher fires a pitch into a suddenly crouching catcher, trying to catch Van Kirk unawares.

Van Kirk reacted and swung, fouling the ball down the 3rd base line for a strike.

Next pitch come in conventionally, and Van Kirk gets an RBI hit down the right field line.

That's so weak...I don't think I've ever seen that before. Goodbye Valpo.

Incredible day boys!  Incredible day!  I'm so glad that Jake will be able to play tomorrow.

Once again, Yukon Chad strikes Gold!  Adam Younger - great game!  Would have liked to see Van Kirk go in hard during the play at the plate..... a lil somtin to remember us by!  LOL.

Hefner........... it's bittersweet.... would love for him to stick around for another year. But the way he's pitched, he'll be gobbled up draft time in a heartbeat.  This team is really special..... time will tell just how special. 

Would have been nice for Mr. May (Pearson) to come through a few times.... he had a couple of opportunities. Can't do it every game though.

Nice win for the good guys and a great pitching performance by Hefner - helped by some good defensive play. Still have to take care of business tomorrow though. I hope we meet Valpo again tomorrow - just for 'old times sake'.

I hope we meet Valpo again tomorrow - just for 'old times sake'.

I feel a rumble coming on . . .  :-D

No rumble.... just a good old fashioned whippin'. Something to remember us by - and never forget.

Will we get the championship game in tomorrow?  They are saying that rain is starting to fall in Macomb right now in the second inning of the VU/CC game.  Geoff said that there's a 70% chance of rain tomorrow. 

Hope we can finish things tomorrow.

It's certainly to our benefit to have the VU/CC game delayed until tomorrow morning to make the winning team use up their rest time tonight and not be ready to play ORU at whatever time the championship game is.  Without any lights on the field, our ability to get a game in during daylight hours limits the chances of getting any championship game in.  It may push to Sunday.

Can someone tell me a good reason why a Championship Tournament is playing on any field without locker rooms and lights??  :?

You baseball aficionados out there tell me - would Walton have strategically gotten himself tossed from the game today?  As early as the top of the fourth?  Things seemed to be settling down after about a twenty minute break, Rob is walking towards the dugout, then turns around and tears into the ump again.  Seems like a very slight modicum of control would have kept him in the game - unless he was wanting to be ejected.

I imagine that Rob was trying to defend his team and Jake... And the pent up frustration of dealing with the Mid-Con got to him.

Using the intentional ejection strategy straight from "Hoosiers" against our Valpo friends would have been brilliant.  But I think what really happened is that Rob was quite calm until he found out that only Jake, and not their guy, was being ejected.  He then laid into the umpire and got tossed very quickly.  This was  before the video stream completely crapped out, so you could see it developing.

Did anyone hear Geoff Haxton interview the Mid-Con Commissioner - I think his name was Grom?  Geoff asked him if it was part of his responsibility to go down on the field in this type of situation.  Grom said he didn't know if it was his responsibility but he and the Western Illinois Gal thought they would "help" - you know, extra sets of eyes.  Geoff's response was classic - after Grom said he didn't know if it was his job, Geoff said "Oh, you didn't know if it was your job?  Interesting...."  LOL - loved it.  Wouldn't it be interesting if the Commissioner of Major League Baseball made his way to the field during a scuffle between the Yankees and Red Sox?  Gimme a break!

Did anyone notice the Young Lady from WIU that went out (reasons unk) while the umpires and Managers were in the heat of the moment?  I could be wrong... but I actually thought that I saw her make a "T" sign as in "Time out Boys".. LOLOLOL    WHAT WAS SHE THINKING????  I actually worried for her safety for a moment.  There are some things that you just DON'T do.  Her being out there was one of them.    Maybe the "T" was for Tasty Cake Time... LOL.