Re: Mid-Con Yearly Honors

mickeyb

From the Mid-Con Office ...

Oral Roberts, Western Illinois Claim Mid-Con Baseball Post-season Awards

ELMHURST, ILL. ? Oral Roberts, which claimed its 10th consecutive regular-season baseball title with a 19-1 record in Mid-Con play, and Western Illinois, who is one shy win of matching a school record, were rewarded for their efforts as the two schools combined to take home all four of the Mid-Continent Conference?s major baseball awards. WIU?s Travis Check and ORU?s Brendan Duffy shared Player of the Year honors, while the Golden Eagles? Chance Chapman was named Pitcher of the Year. Oral Roberts? Jeremy Hefner claimed Newcomer of the Year accolades, while Western Illinois manager Stan Hyman was honored as the Coach of the Year.

Duffy and Check share Player of the Year honors after equally impressive seasons. Check led the league in total bases (106), ranked second in RBI (48), third in slugging percentage (.522) and runs scored (53), fourth in stolen bases (17), fifth in hits (67) and home runs ( 8 ) and hit .330 on the season. He also led the league with five home runs in conference play. Meanwhile, Duffy led the league in hitting with a .356 and posted a .507 average in conference play. He collected a hit in all 17 conference games in which he played, recording multi-hit games in 12 of those contests. The Glendale, Ariz., native also led the league in on-base percentage, runs scored and hits in conference games.

Chapman earns Pitcher of the Year honors after a stellar year on the hill. The right-hander went 7-1 with a league-best 1.33 ERA and was 4-0 with a 1.22 ERA and one save in Mid-Con games. He also led the league in strikeouts (114) and opponents batting average (.199). The three-time Mid-Con Pitcher of the Week broke the Golden Eagles? single-game record for strikeouts (19) after tying the previous record (17) earlier in the season. He was also named Louisville Slugger National Player of the week on two occasions.

Hefner became the first pitcher to claim Newcomer of the Year honors since the 2004 season. The junior tied for the league-lead with eight victories, going 8-1 with a 2.85 ERA, while opponents hit just .211 against him. He ranked second in the conference with 96 strikeouts and was 4-0 with a 1.24 ERA in Mid-Con play. Hefner also was named Mid-Con Pitcher of the Week on two occasions.

In his sixth season at the helm of the Leathernecks, Hyman led his team to 31 victories, one shy of the school record heading into Mid-Con Championship play. The Leathernecks posted an 11-9 record in Mid Con play and finished the regular season at 31-24.

Regular-season champion Oral Roberts had a league-high eight players selected to the first team and a conference-best 10 players recognized overall. Southern Utah had the second-most players honored with six, while Valparaiso was third with four. Centenary and Oakland had three each, while Western Illinois had two honorees.

The Oral Roberts contingent on the all-conference first team included senior first baseman Chad Rothford, senior second baseman Jake Kahaulelio, junior shortstop Adam Younger, Duffy, junior designated hitter Brian Van Kirk, Chapman, Hefner and senior reliever Eric Crichton. Also on the first team are Oakland?s senior catcher Kevin Carkeek and sophomore outfielder Justin Wilson, Southern Utah?s sophomore third baseman Chester Wilson and junior utility man Joe Wright, Centenary?s senior pitcher Brandon Fulenchek and Check.

Southern Utah and Valparaiso led the all-conference second team with four recipients each. The Thunderbirds placed senior catcher Cameron Nelson, freshman first baseman Bucky Aona, sophomore second baseman Keli?i Zablan and freshman pitcher Alec Reichle on the second team, while Valparaiso?s senior shortstop Jeff Rickert, senior outfielder Michael Arensdorff, junior designated hitter Dallas Cawiezell and senior pitcher Harvey Yergin were second-team selections. The Gents? junior third baseman Teddy Saenz and freshman reliever Dakota Robinson, Oakland?s sophomore outfielder Dan Ryan and the Leathernecks? junior pitcher Mark DiBernardo also were second team selections. Oral Roberts? junior outfielder Kelly Minissale and senior utility man Stephen Pearson round out the all-conference teams.

The Mid-Continent Conference Championship begins Thursday, May 24 at 11:30 a.m when the top-seeded Oral Roberts Golden Eagles take on the fourth-seeded Centenary Gents. The afternoon game Thursday features the host Western Illinois Leathernecks against the third-seeded Valparaiso Crusaders at 3 p.m.. The Championship will continue with three games Friday, May 25 and will conclude with the Championship game on Saturday, May 27.

The Mid-Continent Conference is comprised of eight member institutions - Centenary College of Louisiana, Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI), University of Missouri-Kansas City (UMKC), Oakland University, Oral Roberts University, Southern Utah University, Valparaiso University and Western Illinois University. The conference also has two associate members in swimming & diving. The league offers championships in 19 sports.

Gee Wiz!  I wonder what the other coaches REALLY thought about Sullivan when it came time to vote.  All in all...... not bad for a freshman. I know his team supports him big time.  He beat Fullencheck, he beat Yergin, he beat Withita State flat out. The team was 6-0 in games that he started.  They really should have an honorable mention category, because I think that he at least deserves that.  Hope you read this kid! I wonder what Old Titan has to say about this.  Go EAGLES!  This team is a special one...... we should do very well.

What I want to know is how a guy can win coach of the year honors after losing the league title by eight games during a season he was supposed to challenge us for the league title!  Here's my vote to renaming the trophy the Rob Walton Award.

If he keeps going like he has been, Jerry will have a stellar career at ORU - Like you said, Irish, not bad as a freshman!  But if my memory serves me right, he started pitching fairly late in the season, didn't he?  Maybe not until conference season - because they were letting his arm finish healing.  Maybe that had something to do with a failure to mention him in any awards.  The other thing is that they try to pass the awards around at least as much as they can, so that other schools don't feel slighted.

But I agree with you - Jerry Sullivan has a very BRIGHT future.

What I want to know is how a guy can win coach of the year honors after losing the league title by eight games during a season he was supposed to challenge us for the league title!  Here's my vote to renaming the trophy the Rob Walton Award.

In this league being eight games out IS challenging for the title :wink:!!!

The other thing is that they try to pass the awards around at least as much as they can, so that other schools don't feel slighted.

What is this - little league? Here's an idea.... how about giving the awards to the most deserving players/coaches?

Sullivan did start a little late in the season, but in plenty of time for the conference.... which is all they are basing the criteria on. He was robbed.

I can almost understand it with baseball - we dominate it so completely.  But if you want to get me fuming get me talking about why SCOTT SUTTON hasn't gotten coach of the year, even though he's won the regular season championship three times and the Tournament championship twice!!!   

Lest you say that it was because they only accomplished what was expected (regulars on the board have seen me post this before) both Homer Drew and Leslie Crain won COY three times each while their teams were dominating.

Okay, back to baseball . . .

I'm not saying Rob Walton should/would win the COY award every season ... but this was the year the rest of the league was supposed to have closed the gap and we toasted everybody, including sweep (by a combined score of 45-12!) on the road over our closest challenger.

Okay, now I'll step down off my soapbox.

I was just looking at baseball stats on the Mid-Con web site, and Sullivan was not included in any of the league's pitching stats.  For some reason he apparently wasn't considered eligible or something.  Maybe Blevins could shed some light on this situation . . .

I was just looking at baseball stats on the Mid-Con web site, and Sullivan was not included in any of the league's pitching stats.  For some reason he apparently wasn't considered eligible or something.  Maybe Blevins could shed some light on this situation . . .

It's his innings pitched ... to be considered for the league leaders, you must have one inning pitched per team game.  Jerry has 43.1 IP in 52 games.

I'm not saying Rob Walton should/would win the COY award every season

As long as he keeps winning I think he should be COY every year.  What did Heath do to deserve it - win games against teams with an RPI in the high 200's - great job Stan. :-P

The good news is that the league does not hand out team championships the way they hand out COY honors.  We can prove we're the best on the playing field, not based on the votes of a bunch of egalitarian nuts!

I better get back to work so my blood pressure gets back to it's normal level.

It's his innings pitched ... to be considered for the league leaders, you must have one inning pitched per team game.  Jerry has 43.1 IP in 52 games.

That makes sense - thanks!

Golden Eagles sweep Mid-Con baseball awards

by JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer

5/24/2007

Oral Roberts swept the Mid-Continent Conference player awards on Wednesday.

Senior outfielder Brendan Duffy was named co-player of the year, senior pitcher Chance Chapman was named pitcher of the year and junior Jeremy Hefner was named newcomer of the year.

Eight Golden Eagles -- Duffy, Chapman, Hefner, relief pitcher Erik Crichton, catcher Brian Van Kirk, shortstop Adam Younger, second baseman Jake Kahaulelio and first baseman Chad Rothford -- were named to the first team All-Mid-Con team.

Western Illinois coach Stan Hyman was named coach of the year.

Western Illinois outfielder Travis Check was named co-player of the year.

Co-Player of the Year: Brendan Duffy, ORU/Travis Check, Western Illinois

Pitcher of the Year: Chance Chapman, ORU

Newcomer of the Year: Jeremy Hefner, ORU

Coach of the Year: Stan Hyman, Western Illinois

ALL-MID-CON FIRST TEAM

C:  Kevin Carkeek, Oakland, Sr. 

1B:  Chad Rothford, ORU, Sr. 

2B:  Jake Kahaulelio, ORU, Sr. 

SS:  Adam Younger, ORU, Jr. 

3B:  Chester Wilson, Southern Utah, So. 

OF:  Brendan Duffy, ORU, Sr. 

OF:  .Justin Wilson, Oakland, So. 

OF:  .Travis Check, Western Illinois, Sr. 

DH:  Brian Van Kirk, ORU, Jr. 

SP:  Chance Chapman, ORU, Sr. 

SP:  Jeremy Hefner, ORU, Jr. 

SP:  Brandon Fulenchek, Centenary, Sr. 

RP:  Erik Crichton, ORU, Sr. 

UT:  Joe Wright, Southern Utah, Jr. 

ORU second-team selections

Kelly Minissale, OF, Jr.; Stephen Pearson, UT, Sr.

Mickeyb ?

I would agree with you if Innings pitched were the key factor, but if their stat page is correct?. Well compare for yourself?.  OK, I'll stop chewing sour grapes.  Rob Walton for President!

Second Team ? Alec Reichle ? Freshman Southern Utah  vs. Jerry Sullivan Freshman ORU

Player    ERA  W-L  APP GS CG              IP    H  R  ER  BB  SO  2B  3B  HR  AB B/Avg WP HBP  BK  SFA SHA

REICHLE  3.28  3-3    9  5  0  0/0    0  35.2  41  23  13  17  17  5    2  1  141  .291  6  3  2    2  2

Sully      2.08  4-0    10  6  1  1/0    0  43.1  34  12  10  6  37  3    1  4  158  .215  2  5  1    0  3

Good point, Irish - I hope you don't mind that I cleaned up the stats a bit to make them more readable (well, smaller but lined up better):

Player     ERA    W-L   APP  GS  CG              IP    H   R  ER  BB  SO  2B  3B  HR   AB B/Avg  WP  HBP BK  SFA SHA

REICHLE    3.28   3-3     9   5   0   0/0    0  35.2  41  23  13  17  17   5   2   1  141  .291   6   3   2    2   2

Sully      2.08   4-0    10   6   1   1/0    0  43.1  34  12  10   6  37   3   1   4  158  .215   2   5   1    0   3

Sullivan was superior in EVERY pitching category.  The only stat where Reichle led was batting average.

Mickeyb ?

I would agree with you if Innings pitched were the key factor, but if their stat page is correct?. Well compare for yourself?.  OK, I'll stop chewing sour grapes.  Rob Walton for President!

Second Team ? Alec Reichle ? Freshman Southern Utah  vs. Jerry Sullivan Freshman ORU

There's no doubt Sullivan is a better pitcher than Reichle ... my bit about IP per team game only had to do with why Sully isn't listed among the League Leaders on the Mid-Con site.