Jahaziel Howard to Walk-on at ORU

ORUTerry

Keep your fingers crossed, guys. Dwight Sr. is super excited about having Jahaziel at ORU, but you never know how these things will end since he hasn't signed.  :-D

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUTerry

• ORU Eli

• Old Titan

• vcboy2000

68kack9.jpg

This is a picture from 2004 after Dwight was drafted #1 overall in the NBA Draft.

(Dwight is standing with his mother and the Mayor of Atlanta. Jahaziel Howard is on the right.)

Howard intrigues me.... how did a kid with his skills and pedegree get looked over by other schools? Unless he (and his parents) just turned them away/down. Jahaziel was on several all-star teams and was named POY in the Atlanta area(?). Those accomplishments, along with his brother's noteriety should have created a lot of interest from college coaches.

ORU get a '3-star' player to walk-on.... still trying to absorb that.

This team could be really special.

Classic case of "we don't know what we have."  ORU is such a great opportunity - - it's an "out of the box" place where good hoops are played but more importantly, one's calling in life is confirmed. In some cases, it's initiated at 7777 South Lewis in Tulsa.  I can't tell enough people about ORU. It's not just ORU that will benefit from this young man's appearance on campus, I would dare say the Howard family is in for something special.

Dwight is a solid and devout Christian. I hope this comes to pass, it would be great for ORU and the city. All we need is for Rotnei Clarke to come to TU and we will be set for some more great games...

ash  =o)

Dwight is a solid and devout Christian. I hope this comes to pass, it would be great for ORU and the city. All we need is for Rotnei Clarke to come to TU and we will be set for some more great games...

I kinda like Rotnei wearing the Navy blue and vegas gold better...running the point with Howard (good strong last name by the way) at the 3 spot with the capability of running the offense through him, shooting from the perimeter, slashing towards the basket, or posting somebody up...If in two years we are able to put those two and our crew from Cornerstone Christian on the court...I could be making a lot of trips up to Tulsa...

ash  =o)

I'm a little fuzzy on who the "we" is. :wink:

Well.... I'm happy. Maybe his brother can give me some dunking lessons too. Its awesome to see christian athletes want to come to a christian school. Sounds like this kid has a great heart and the university will benefit from more than just his presence on the basketball court. My hat is off to him for setting a good example.

• 4 weeks later...

As of last week, he's still a "go", though I don't know if he's on campus yet.

Wouldn't expect too much out of him this year - with the level of talent and experience we already have returning and coming in, he has "redshirt" written all over him...

To be honest, we really don't know that much about Jahaziel and his talent level. He was named POY in the Atlanta area and was on some all-star teams, but was not recruited heavily (by choice?) by other schools. Who knows, he might surprise us and the coaches. That said, he (and some others) are prime candidates for a red-shirt.

It'd be good to see Howard in street clothes on the end of the bench next year redshirted but if he does come to ORU, with so many pieces in place, i agree with Terry - I can't see him in a uniform next year. It'd be a waste of a year's eligibility. But if we did indeed get a redshirt on him there's a (outside?) chance our recruiting is almost complete for '08-'09. Howard, Warren, and Clarke come in and take Ogunoye, Ehambe, and Liberty's scholarships...you would just need someone to King's scholarship and you've got a full roster again.

It'd be good to see Howard in street clothes on the end of the bench next year redshirted but if he does come to ORU, with so many pieces in place, i agree with Terry - I can't see him in a uniform next year. It'd be a waste of a year's eligibility. But if we did indeed get a redshirt on him there's a (outside?) chance our recruiting is almost complete for '08-'09. Howard, Warren, and Clarke come in and take Ogunoye, Ehambe, and Liberty's scholarships...you would just need someone to King's scholarship and you've got a full roster again.

Yer crackin' me up talking about Willie Warren coming to ORU  :-D

Seriously, though, don't forget Dominique Gaines for '08-'09 - he originally signed with ORU, but had to go to NEO to get his grades.  He would be a junior, with two years of eligibility remaining...

Frankly, there are a lot of new players this year that we have limited (or no) information about:

Curtis Allen - tall (6'4"), athletic guard who is quick. Can he shoot. How good of a ball handler is he? Can he play defense

Marcus Lewis - a big man (6'8") who should provide rebounding; how much offense will he provide? Can he play defense?

Robert Jarvis - reported to be a sharpshooter with nice range; had a good season at Seminole Junior College and is a very good free throw shooter. Ball handling? Defense?

Kyron Stokes - a tall (6'4"), athletic guard who is also reported to be a good shooter.

The three Cornerstone recruits (Jonathan Dunn - 6'4" guard, Clement N'Gom - 6'4" guard and Tim Morton - 6'8" forward) are total unknowns to us.

There are lots of questions and lots of possible combinations. With eight (!) new players on the roster this coming year, the coaches have a lot of evaluating to do. I suspect that a couple of players might be red-shirted given the amount of new (and existing) bodies we have - the question is who?

Yer crackin' me up talking about Willie Warren coming to ORU  :-D

Seriously, though, don't forget Dominique Gaines for '08-'09 - he originally signed with ORU, but had to go to NEO to get his grades.  He would be a junior, with two years of eligibility remaining...

Well...of course I was talking IDEAL situation...I mean...everybody keeps talking about Clarke coming to ORU and at the same time we keep hearing Warren and Clarke have decided themselves that they are a package deal...Warren might not even have ORU on his radar but if that's the case then how legit is it that Clarke might come based on the fact that reportedly they want to play together?

Frankly, there are a lot of new players this year that we have limited (or no) information about:

Curtis Allen - tall (6'4"), athletic guard who is quick. Can he shoot. How good of a ball handler is he? Can he play defense

Marcus Lewis - a big man (6'8") who should provide rebounding; how much offense will he provide? Can he play defense?

Robert Jarvis - reported to be a sharpshooter with nice range; had a good season at Seminole Junior College and is a very good free throw shooter. Ball handling? Defense?

Kyron Stokes - a tall (6'4"), athletic guard who is also reported to be a good shooter.

The three Cornerstone recruits (Jonathan Dunn - 6'4" guard, Clement N'Gom - 6'4" guard and Tim Morton - 6'8" forward) are total unknowns to us.

There are lots of questions and lots of possible combinations. With eight (!) new players on the roster this coming year, the coaches have a lot of evaluating to do. I suspect that a couple of players might be red-shirted given the amount of new (and existing) bodies we have - the question is who?

Summer months bring lots of opportunities to analyze and re-analyze the roster...what else is there to do??

Backcourt

Curtis Allen - 6'4"

Kelvin Sango - 6'3"

Adam Liberty - 6'2"

Robert Jarvis - 5'10"

Kyron Stokes - 6'4" (REDSHIRT Candidate)

Jonathan Dunn - 6'4" (REDSHIRT Candidate)

Clement N'gom - 6'4" (REDSHIRT Candidate)

Forwards and Big Men

Marcus Lewis - 6'8"

Tim Morton - 6'8" (REDSHIRT Candidate)

Yemi Ogunoye - 6'9"

Marchello Vealy - 6'7"

Moses Ehambe - 6'6"

Shawn King - 6'10"

Sylvester Spicer 6'6"

Jahaziel Howard - 6'7" (REDSHIRT Candidate...either walking on or not coming at all???)

This list still includes 14 scholarships and Terry said on a post back in April that we can only have 13 (though i thought it was 12)...so we're still not sure if this correct but with these names on the list...I think you have to redshirt Morton and you have to redshirt one or two out of Stokes, Dunn, and N'gom.

Howard is definately a "Go". You should see him on campus in a few weeks.