** Assistant Coaching Jobs Watch **

Bogus Smith

Best wishes to Corey and his family. The perfect job for most people involved in athletics is to return to the university or college that they attended. Many of our former players, like Chad Wilkerson, think of ORU when they think of their dream job.

Former player Williams joins Cowboys' staff

By Andrea Cohen Daily Oklahoman Staff Writer

STILLWATER ? Corey Williams officially needs more orange in his wardrobe. On Monday, Oklahoma State formalized Williams' hiring to Sean Sutton's basketball staff.

The former OSU guard, who played two seasons under Eddie Sutton, spent the last eight seasons as an assistant to Scott Sutton at Oral Roberts.

Williams replaces Jimmy Williams, who resigned earlier this month.

"Corey is an excellent coach,? Sean Sutton said. "He has a great rapport with student-athletes and is a tremendous recruiter. He did an outstanding job with my brother, Scott, and the ORU program the last eight years.?

On Monday, in his new office at Gallagher-Iba Arena with a direct view of the construction in the football stadium, Williams marveled at how much the facilities have changed at Oklahoma State since his playing days from 1988-92.

"I'm making the rounds, and I see the changes they've made and it's night and day,? Williams said. "My only regret is if they had all this stuff when I played, shucks, we would have won a national championship. I look around here and I'm in awe.?

Williams said he considers Eddie Sutton "like my godfather.?

"We're very close,? Williams said. "He's always been there for me and my family.?

Since Williams and Sean Sutton have the same mentor and played together at OSU, there's little doubt that they have similar beliefs when it comes to basketball.

"His dad's philosophy has always been my philosophy,? Williams said. "Man-to-man defense and covering and pushing the ball. Taking the best shot, not just shots. Guys understanding their role and what they're supposed to do. Most importantly understanding that defense wins basketball games.?

Williams said he hopes to be both coach and friend to the players, somebody they can come to with their problems.

"I think it's a balance,? he said. "I'll get in their face and make sure they understand what they need to do, but at the same time I'm also understanding because I played this game. I know how it was as a college athlete so I can relate.?

The biggest change for Williams between ORU and OSU will be recruiting.

"It will be different, with higher level kids,? Williams said. "I think it's a challenge I'm ready for. Because who can recruit better to a place than someone who played here? This is my school.?

In his years in Tulsa, Williams made it back to Stillwater for a handful of games when the Golden Eagles weren't playing

"The atmosphere is unbelievable,? he said. "Just to see all that orange ? that's the thing I gotta get adjusted to now. I gotta get some more orange.?