** Assistant Coaching Jobs Watch **

Bogus Smith

Sports FYI: (TW)

By Staff and Wire Reports

4/15/2007

BASKETBALL

Top candidate: Oral Roberts University assistant coach Corey Williams has emerged as the leading candidate to fill a staff vacancy at Oklahoma State. Williams is a former OSU guard and visited the campus this weekend. The Cowboys are seeking a replacement for former assistant Jimmy Williams.

Well, we know that given the talent that makes up our coaching staff that it's not reasonable to expect them to stay forever. I'm sure that OSU can throw a lot of money at Corey - and it is his alma mater. It would create a large void in the staff if he decides to go....

I happened upon one of the other assistant coaches today after lunch, and he indicated he believed CW was staying at ORU.  Of course this doesn't make it so, but just passing along an opinion from someone a bit closer to the action than we forum readers and writers :-D

I hope you're right, tbone!  I think CW is a vital part of our coaching team.  I certainly don't want to see him do worse financially by being at ORU, but I hope that we have something that is better than money for he and his family.

Guest Rob Marshall
I hope that we have something that is better than money for he and his family.
Free meals at the GEC pre-game dinners and coaches shows perhaps?  :-D

I also heard from a good source last week that his intentions are to stay... But OSU can throw a lot of money at him and he has a family to support. It is also his alma mater...

I can't believe that I'm actually getting ahead of ORUTerry and TMH in reporting something!!  8-)

Corey did submit his resignation this morning and will be taking the assistant coach's position at OSU.  I, for one, am grateful for everything that Corey has done for ORU and wish him the best at OSU.  I hope that he and his family will be happy there (which I have to imagine that they will) and that they will continue to think of their years at ORU fondly.

Iwas hoping that it wasn't true... I am sad to see Corey leave but thankful for his service to ORU. He is a wonderful representative of ORU and he will do a great job for the Cowboys.Who knows, we may see him at ORU again in the future.

So does this mean Minyard gets called up from the ticket office to be the closer?

I'm not sure if the call has gone out to the bullpen or not...time will tell.  One thing is for sure, we do need a closer.

Iwas hoping that it wasn't true... I am sad to see Corey leave but thankful for his service to ORU. He is a wonderful representative of ORU and he will do a great job for the Cowboys.Who knows, we may see him at ORU again in the future.

This may come as a surprise to some people, but Corey really wants to be a head coach some day.

He wasn't going to get too many looks from other schools in that capacity being the third (fourth?) man on the row of the ORU bench.

Just moving to a BCS school like OSU gives him instant carte blanche in that regard.

Corey has been an invaluable asset to ORU from the day he first joined the staff.  Besides his obvious recruiting talent, he has been a great ambassador for the school in the community and a great guy to work with.  I will particularly miss his reporte with the fans during events such as the preseason Bar-B-Q and the Golden Eagle Club pre-game dinners.  I will also miss seeing his wife Nicole and their children Jordan and C.J., who were always a lot of fun to be around at games and basketball functions.  Just a great guy and a great family - I wish them all the very best.

With signing day already past, and a slew of good prospects practically lined up ready to sign in November, expect Scott to take his time hiring Corey's replacement.  It will most likely be a recruiter who might even bring a player or two with him immediately.

Wonder if Rotnei Clarke's dad or uncle have ever entertained coaching at the college level? :wink:

OT, I am somewhat of a skeptic in the long-term benefit of bringing a coach in so that he will bring his player(s) with him.  How about Arkansas football last year with the Mustain kid from Springdale.  That didn't work out very well.  And then there is the Acres saga from years ago at ORU.  Two great players for a few years, but it kind of wreaked havoc on the program in the process.  There are surely counter-examples around wherein it worked out fine.  I just hope Scott proceeds with extreme caution on that particular strategy.  It will be interesting to see who it might be.  There are a lot of contacts in the Sutton line for consideration.

Wow! Sad to hear that we will be losing Corey, but I wish him all the best at OSU. He has got to be very excited right now about what is ahead for his family because this is probably the next step to accomplishing his dream of being a head coach. I'm sure Scott will get somebody new that will fit in great with the current coaching staff and players.

How about some names to take the "CLOSER"S place. Anybody know what Randy Rutherford is up to? Did he play with Scott at OSU? Any ideas?

On Cory, he has always been incredibly nice and well mannered every time i have met him and wish him the very best at OSU!!!!

OT, I am somewhat of a skeptic in the long-term benefit of bringing a coach in so that he will bring his player(s) with him.  How about Arkansas football last year with the Mustain kid from Springdale.  That didn't work out very well.  And then there is the Acres saga from years ago at ORU.  Two great players for a few years, but it kind of wreaked havoc on the program in the process.  There are surely counter-examples around wherein it worked out fine.   I just hope Scott proceeds with extreme caution on that particular strategy.   It will be interesting to see who it might be.  There are a lot of contacts in the Sutton line for consideration.

A couple of local "counter-examples", as you call them, pop to mind:

Billy Tubbs at OU hired Mike Mims from Tulsa Washington and got arguably the greatest collegiate player in state history, Waymon Tisdale.  Mims stayed on as an assistant years after Waymon left.

Kansas hired Danny Manning's dad as an assistant and won a national championship.  Manning's previous occupation?  Truck driver.

TU hired Nolan Richardson and got four starters off his juco national championship team at West Texas (Phil Spradling, Greg Stewart, Paul Pressey, and David Brown), along with Mike Anderson from another team they beat in the juco playoffs.  They won the NIT in their first season together and started TU on a twenty-year roll of NCAA appearances.

And I would have to say the Acres family deal actually worked out as intended, in terms of getting ORU the players they wanted.  Dick Acres had nothing to do with Ken Hayes later getting fired; that was a Jim Winslow/Jack Wallace production.  He was just in the "right" place at the "right" time, so to speak.

I knew as I was writing my comment that I would stimulate your cerebreal powers to mention some good counter-examples.  I appreciate your response.  Tisdale is a great example.  Richardson's import of a team another.  Business (and I suspect coaching) gets more complicated when you employ family members, even though you are committed to remain at arms-length in the business.  Just suggesting it can be very tricky... no reference to coaching alums intended. 

Ex-Cowboy returning as an assistant

by: JIMMIE TRAMEL World Sports Writer

4/24/2007

Former Oklahoma State guards Corey Williams and Sean Sutton helped lead the Cowboys to two NCAA Tournament Sweet Sixteen appearances in the 1990s.

Now they have reunited in hopes of tasting future NCAA Tournament success.

Sutton, OSU's head coach, announced Monday that Williams has been hired as an assistant coach. Williams spent the last eight seasons as an assistant coach for another Sutton. Williams left Scott Sutton's staff at Oral Roberts University to return to OSU.

Williams, in a press release issued by OSU's sports information department, said he is excited to be back.

"I've always been a Cowboy on the inside and now I've got a chance to coach at the same school that I played for," he said. "There are not many people that can say that."

Williams played at OSU from 1989-92 and is the 14th-leading scorer in school history. Sean Sutton said he is excited Williams chose to return.

"This is a great day for OSU basketball, and I look forward to having him as a key component of our staff," Sean Sutton said in the press release.

"Corey was an outstanding player for the Cowboys. We had a lot of exciting times together as teammates on two outstanding teams. I'm looking forward to many more exciting teams here in the future with him as part of our staff."

Williams is the first assistant coach to leave ORU in the Scott Sutton era. The Golden Eagles are 144-102 over the last eight seasons, including 20-win seasons each of the last three years and NCAA Tournament appearances each of the last two years.

Sean Sutton called Williams a rising star in the coaching profession.

"He has a great rapport with student-athletes and is a tremendous recruiter. He did an outstanding job with my brother, Scott, and the ORU program the last eight years. He has a great family and he will be a welcome addition to the Cowboy basketball family. He has great family values and will be a tremendous role model for our players."

Williams was drafted by the Chicago Bulls and Kansas City Chiefs (even though he hadn't played football since junior high) after completing his collegiate eligibility. He played on an NBA championship team in 1993.

He returned to Oklahoma State for one year as a student assistant. A full-time position on the Cowboy staff became available when Jimmy Williams resigned following the end of last season.

"Sean and I have a special relationship because we have played together," Corey Williams said.

"Sean is the man to guide the ship and I'm here to assist him in whatever capacity is needed. The best years for the Cowboys are ahead and it is an honor for me to be here. I look at what coach (Mike) Holder and Mr. (Boone) Pickens have done for this school and it's been unbelievable. I'm excited for basketball season to get here."

Gulp!  It's a little hard to read some of that stuff from Corey, although I know it's just the stuff a guy says in a situation like that.  I trust none of it is intended to be negative towards ORU.  I'll miss Corey, but I wish him well at OSU.  It's just another reason why ORU fans feel joined at the hip with the Cowboys (although I doubt the Cowboys feel that way about ORU!).