ORU License Plate

Mike Minyard

Out of the blue:  received a pre-production sample of the new ORU license plate in the mail today from the Oklahoma Tax Commission. 

The approval form will be mailed back to the OTC tomorrow. 

The new ORU plates should start showing up in tag agencies around the state in January or February.

hmmmm.....

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey, is it February yet??  :wink:

I wonder if they just haven't updated their website....

Any insight on this OT? I'm about to get new plates, and if they've kept their word I'd like to get the ORU plate....

Spoke again today with Pam at the OTC - the new plates are in!

In fact, they've been in for awhile.

But they hadn't updated the website, nor have they sent out any samples to the tag offices.

She said the website could/should now be updated with 7-10 days with the new plate.

The tag office samples are another story:  when the OTC first started the major college plates, they sent a set of free samples to all 300 tag agencies in Oklahoma.

After that, they started charging the tag agencies for any new or revised college tags that came into the system.

Which probably explains why you haven't seen any "Rogers State Hillcats" plates hanging behind the counter at your local tag agent office.

The only free college samples they sent out in the past couple of years was when OSU revamped their logo.  Problem was, a lot of tag agents either kept the new sample for themselves, gave it to an employee, or just sold the sample plate to an OSU fan.  Either way, a lot of the free new OSU plate samples never made it up onto the wall of the tag office.

As you might imagine, she said there's no way they could send out free ORU samples to even just the tag agencies in Tulsa County (around 30 of those), much less the rest of the state, and she doubted even the Tulsa area tag agents would be willing to pay for a new sample of a plate design they feel won't sell that much.

But the good news is this:  if you order an ORU tag now, you will get the new, correct Eli logo - the old plates have been made into scrap metal!

But the good news is this:  if you order an ORU tag now, you will get the new, correct Eli logo - the old plates have been made into scrap metal!

Thanks OT. We just got our renewal notices for ORU -007 & ORU -008, so I think I'll pay the $10 extra for new tags rather than just stickers.  Anyone know who got 001 through 006? Those of you who have ORU tags, what are your #'s so we can keep an eye out for you?