Mean to the referees

Guest HollowPoint

Guest HollowPoint

I think we are a little hard on the referees. I know they can make bad calls sometimes, but I think we cross a line with the ?booing? and the ?insult chanting.? (I know the chanting is mostly a Maniac trait but the booing comes from everywhere.) If we really cared about the referees getting the calls right, we would also scream and yell when the Eagles benefit from a bad call. Do we want the calls correct or just in our favor?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• orumom

• vcboy2000

• tmh8286

• rlh

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll somewhat agree.

The Maniacs are great. But they sure could gain some basketball knowledge. Not every call against ORU is a bad call! The refs do make the right call sometimes and it is against ORU. The Maniacs need to show some basketball smarts by just booing the bad calls. Sometimes they just go after the refs for something to do IMO. It's ok to give the refs a break because our guys do travel and they do foul sometimes.

Every call does not deserve a response.

You guys can't be serious. Wait...you guys might be right. Why don't we yell at our players when they mess up.

Seriously, I absolutely guarantee you that the Maniacs know when a good call is made against ORU. The whole "What!" chant is just to badger the refs. When I was a maniac we knew when our players hacked another guy, but we still did our rant at the refs. It's about being a fan and supporting the guys at the moment. We can get on here later and say how we played horrible defense, but that's what a student section is all about.

You guys can't be serious. Wait...you guys might be right. Why don't we yell at our players when they mess up.

Seriously, I absolutely guarantee you that the Maniacs know when a good call is made against ORU. The whole "What!" chant is just to badger the refs. When I was a maniac we knew when our players hacked another guy, but we still did our rant at the refs. It's about being a fan and supporting the guys at the moment. We can get on here later and say how we played horrible defense, but that's what a student section is all about.

Didn't say one word about the players. I'm just saying that it makes our fan base look stupid when we complain after a ref makes the correct call. Save it for the bad calls. Get all over the refs when they DO screw up. It just makes the student body look like they don't know anything about basketball. Like why make noise when we have the ball? The Maniacs have improved in that situation. They use to do the "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!" when we had the ball!!! That is for when we are on defense. The Maniacs have improved tons over the years. oruvoice actually talked about the "basketball IQ" of our fan base this summer and got bashed for it. I have to agree with him that our fan base could definately use a basketball 101 course. Obviously the fans on this board are excluded because we are the fans that know all. :lol:

I agree that the Maniacs have gotten better about not getting on the refs. The worst I remember was the "You're retarded" chant after a terrible call in the 2002 game against Valpo. Still though, I think the "I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref" is great.

yeah...even though the maniacs chanting "You're retarded" makes me laugh, that's way over the line of being appropriate...most of them know when a foul against ORU is a good call - they just never like to be too quiet about anything.

I dont boo or yell when the ref makes a good call, not benefitting ORU. Its when the other guy is outa control losing the ball and blunders into Larry who has his feet set, and the ref blows his whistle calling a foul on Larry, thats when i will let the ref know he made a bad call, and let him know the fans notice.

Mabee Center may be the easiest place to officiate that a lot of these guys see. No profanity, milder fans, and so on. Why do you think it is that ORU rarely gets the home court advantage that so many schools get in regard to officiating? How do you think that a hundred or so students chanting,?What, WHAT? What, WHAT?" compares to a few thousand chanting, "B.S.! B.S.!" at most state schools?

I'm not condoning inappropriate heckling of the refs - I do agree that because we are a Christian school we need to uphold standards of behavior that aren't the norm at other schools. But it is certainly within the ethical bounds of the game to express displeasure about a poor call. How about a missed out of bounds call? Or a classic, the foul call against Larry in the Utah State game where the USU player shuffled his feet about a half dozen times before going up, then Larry gets called for the foul. Crowd involvement in situations like that DOES help - they might cause the ref to hesitate just a little in a situation later on, or even better, they may give a makeup call. Happens all the time.

I sit in a position near the corner of the court where the ref stands on the east end, and I KNOW that he can hear me. I'll wait till the crowd noise dies down a little then yell, "He TRAVELED before the foul, ref!", or after an incorrect travel call I might yell, "You have to have POSSESSION of the ball in order to travel, ref!" I don't yell if I don't think it was a bad call, of course.

My compliant nature forces me to yell at the refs - at every GEC pre-game dinner Cory Williams tells us to let the officials know what we think about their calls, and because of that I feel compelled to do it!!

BTW, I do occasionally yell, "Good call!" at the refs, but that's usually when it goes against our opponent, of course!

I tend to make a fool of myself at the games - once I went home with my wife barely speaking to me I'd embarassed her so badly - but one of my OWN most embarrassing moments at a game occured quite a few years ago, when I was a still "casual" basketball fan.

Someone had given me a couple of ORU basketball tickets, and I invited a buddy (a MUCH more committed basketball fan) to go with me. We were sitting about half way up in the gold seats on the north side. Shortly after the tipoff ORU is called for a foul, and my buddy jumps out of his seat and screams,"THAT'S NOT A FOUL!!!" in a basically silent arena. It embarrassed me so badly I wanted to crawl under my seat. I thought, man, this is going to be a L-O-N-G game. But he never reacted like that again that evening, and we ended up having a good time. I still chuckle thinking about it.

At this point I'm sure that MY yelling has embarrassed him many more times than his has embarrassed me. I've come to feel that that type of behavior is perfectly acceptable!

when the players get fouls, deserving them or not, they sometimes get discouraged. However, the madness of the crowd in disagreement with the call, and in essence, in agreement with the player, can give them a boost. This is true in many sports, but in basketball it stands out the most, due in large part to the close proximity of the crowd to the athletes. This whole basketball IQ thing gets a bit overboard at times, I know quite a bit about basketball, but it does not give me any right to think that i enjoy a game more than any of my maniac friends or that i deserve to say or scream something at a game anymore than them...their specialty is participation whereas ours (IQ peeps) is sport knowledge.....sometimes we do both but niether is better than the other, and if one was greater, it would be participation.

(steps down from soapbox)

Listen people. Our crowd is not as dumb as some of you think. I'm not saying that everyone is on the same level, but basketball is not rocket science!

And nobody is condoning yelling at the refs when they make a good call against ORU (unless you are a Maniac). That's just stupid! The issue at the beginning of this thread was that we are to hard on the refs, which is completely far from the truth.

Look at the alternative. No Maniacs! Give them a break. I would much rather sit in the stands and look over and see our cheering section than a bunch of empty seats. Get a grip! So they make a bad call. They are there to let the opponents and the refs know ORU fan base is in the house and it is for sure most of our fans just come and watch and do not yell at all. Boring!!!! Let them Hype the game unless they are using improper language which I don't hear so i'm all for the Maniacs. My 4 year old grandson who goes to the game with me was at home listening to the sports recap of the ORU /Tulsa game with his dad and started yelling O---R---U. That brings joy to my heart and a smile on my face. Go Eagles! :lol:

Please let me restate my comment on the Maniacs getting it right.

When a person berates their child or spouse for everything they do, it reaches a point where it falls on deaf ears.

When you only correct someone when they are truely wrong, they respond by not wanting to be punished for being wrong. We want the refs to know we will be all over them when they are wrong!

When you only correct someone when they are truely wrong, they respond by not wanting to be punished for being wrong. We want the refs to know we will be all over them when they are wrong!

Well said, mom.

Well we'll let the Maniacs wait to get the cue from you, mom when the refs make an aweful call so they can be sure to not overly berate the referees. :lol:

I can't believe we are debating on whether the maniacs should be contemplative on their rants against the referees.

Recently a celebratory worship service was held in St. Louis in honor of the 75th birthday of one of my favorite theology professors - who happened to teach at Valpo for awhile in the 60's - and the current chair of the religion department at Valpo gave the sermon. The gospel reading for the day was The Beatitudes.

"Blessed are you when others persecute you on my account".

Commentary: "If this is true, then I think the happiest people on the face of the earth must be the guys who wear white and black striped uniforms and officiate the basketball games at my university. After the game is over, they must run skipping with joy into the locker room, basking in the glow of divine joy."