ORU Dream Team

Old Titan

Saw a similar thread on the TU message board:

Suppose you could put together an ORU "Dream Team" to play in this year's NCAA tournament.  You get five starters and two reserves.  Who would make your squad?  Here's my team:

Point:  Haywood Workman (played a decade in the NBA, a stealing machine)

2-Guard:  Greg Sutton (could score at will from the perimeter and on the drive)

Small Forward:  Anthony Roberts (not just a prolific scorer - a force on the boards, too)

Power Forward:  Caleb Green (simply the best at his position in ORU history - a man among boys)

Center:  Mark Acres (sleek pivot who could step out on the perimeter, also)

Reserve (backcourt):  Tim Gill (instant offense off the bench)

Reserve (frontcourt):  Larry Owens (could play anywhere on the floor if needed)

Do you know how hard it was to leave the likes of Richard Fuqua, Eddie Woods, Calvin Garrett, Rocky Walls, Steve Bontrager, and Ken Tutt off this roster?  But I think this group would have the best chance of advancing deep into the NCAA bracket.  Now - who would YOU pick?

Your basketball horizon is so much longer than mine, OT, I'd have to say I'd go with your picks.  I'm a relative newcomer, following the team only since the Self years. 

I never had a chance to see most of those guys play, although I know them by reputation.  Caleb is such a special player - he may not end up the top scorer in ORU history, or the top rebounder, but his combined abilities make him truly one of the best ever to play at ORU.  He fits right in there with your all time list of players.

One other that was left off, that Caleb has been going neck and neck with in terms of the record book, was Mark Acres.  He's another that wasn't tops in individual records, but combined was one of the best ORU ever had.

This was before my time and in a different era where athleticism was not as important...but what about Alvin "T-bone" Scott?  You would know better about Scott than I would, OT.  T-bone was overshadowed by Woosie during his time here, but had a very productive career in the NBA as a rebounder.  

It would be hard to pick between LO and Alvin, but I can't argue with your starting five.  I'd go to battle with those guys anytime / anywhere.

what about earl?

A nice player, a great "feel good"story as a walk-on, but not the all-around player Workman was.  Workman holds several individual and career records in steals and assists, as does Earl, BUT Workman is also the 7th leading all-time scorer in ORU history - Earl isn't even in the 25+ members "1000-Point Club".

Caleb is such a special player - he may not end up the top scorer in ORU history, or the top rebounder, but his combined abilities make him truly one of the best ever to play at ORU.

Actually, Caleb is already the career leader in rebounds, and is just 40 points shy of passing Anthony Roberts for third all-time in scoring...

One other that was left off, that Caleb has been going neck and neck with in terms of the record book, was Mark Acres.

I have Mark Acres as my center - Caleb is the power forward.  But I would put mark at the high post, with Caleb working down low.  If they try to double Caleb, Acres could hit that fifteen-footer from the top of the lane all night long...

This was before my time and in a different era where athleticism was not as important...but what about Alvin "T-bone" Scott?

Alvin was a great defender, shot blocker, and rebounder, but his offensive skills were in the Rocky Walls neighborhood.  He didn't have the slashing ability or outside shooting touch of Larry Owens.  Larry really was a freak - there were times last year when he played all five positions in the same game, doing everything from bringing the ball up against the press to defending the other team's big man in the post.  Just take a look at my avatar at left - I wish you could see the expression on Caleb's face.  He looks like he's worried LO is going to rip the rim off!

Alvin was a great defender, shot blocker, and rebounder, but his offensive skills were in the Rocky Walls neighborhood.  He didn't have the slashing ability or outside shooting touch of Larry Owens. 

I would agree that LO was a special player and very enjoyable to watch.  However, I would give the nod to T-Bone.  Both players played in the shadow of a greater player, but T-Bone played in the NBA for a number of seasons.  Remember in the "old days" there were no three point lines!

I agree with your point guard selection, but Arnold Dugger was also a great point, and a lot of fun to watch.

Richard Fuqua would be my pick for the two guard.  I have never been a fan of Sutton.  I did not view him as much of a team player.  What would his stats look like if he had a three point line?

Great tread - it sure brings back a lot of good memories.

Starters

Luke Spencer-Gardner

Richard Fuqua

Anthony Roberts

Caleb Green

Mark Acres

Bench

Larry Owens

Yemi Ogunoye  ( i know )

This is the team I'd like to bring to the NCAA Tournament.  Luke is the toughest player to have played in the new era at ORU.  He can guard a larger opponent, and would bring an attitude to the team every night.  He's the guy that clocks in at game time, and really goes to work.

Fuqua and Roberts are two of the best offensive threats in school history.  I never saw them play, and I haven't seen much video footage.  It sounds like they could shoot the ball from just about anywhere though.

Green and Acres are double-double machines.  They would clean the glass on both ends, and both shot a high percentage.  Acres also brings us a defensive presence.

My bench contains the best role player in school history with Larry Owens.  He causes a lot of match-up problems.

Yemi is an odd pick considering all the talent available, but I feel that he would fit into a role with this team.  The team has enough offense, but really needs a defensive presence on the bench.

I don't know how much scoring I would need coming off the bench with Roberts, Fuqua and Green in the line-up.  You can count on those guys not to take very many nights off.

The line-up is pretty versatile as well.

Actually, Caleb is already the career leader in rebounds, and is just 40 points shy of passing Anthony Roberts for third all-time in scoring...

I have Mark Acres as my center - Caleb is the power forward.  But I would put mark at the high post, with Caleb working down low.  If they try to double Caleb, Acres could hit that fifteen-footer from the top of the lane all night long...

I double-checked the rebound record before I posted - Eddie Woods had 1,365, Caleb is currently at 1,129 career rebounds.

Now, I wish I had been as careful to check your post regarding Mark Acres . . . :oops:

Saw a similar thread on the TU message board:

Suppose you could put together an ORU "Dream Team" to play in this year's NCAA tournament.  You get five starters and two reserves.  Who would make your squad?  Here's my team:

Point:  Haywood Workman (played a decade in the NBA, a stealing machine)

2-Guard:  Greg Sutton (could score at will from the perimeter and on the drive)

Small Forward:  Anthony Roberts (not just a prolific scorer - a force on the boards, too)

Power Forward:  Caleb Green (simply the best at his position in ORU history - a man among boys)

Center:  Mark Acres (sleek pivot who could step out on the perimeter, also)

Reserve (backcourt):  Tim Gill (instant offense off the bench)

Reserve (frontcourt):  Larry Owens (could play anywhere on the floor if needed)

Do you know how hard it was to leave the likes of Richard Fuqua, Eddie Woods, Calvin Garrett, Rocky Walls, Steve Bontrager, and Ken Tutt off this roster?  But I think this group would have the best chance of advancing deep into the NCAA bracket.  Now - who would YOU pick?

Got to go with OT so far...and I've been watching nearly as long.  Don't remember Fuqua (I was 2), but do remember games as early as the Anthony Roberts era...although, instead of watching history being made,  I was most likely just bothering my dad and causing him to miss great plays while throwing popcorn at ORUAlum86.  Anyway, I've seen 30+ years of ORU ball as well.  I remember Bontrager hitting three FTs in a row while blindfolded...

I like OTs line-up.  I was at ORU during the Greg Sutton years, and though we use to laugh so hard at him jacking up shots from 30', they usually went in.  Yeah, he was a selfish player who scored a ton of points...it'd be interesting to see him fit into an "All-Star" line-up...

It's tough to leave off Gary "Cat" Johnson as well...

As much as I admired the contributions of Luke, Earl, and Cat, it should be noted that following their ORU careers, they became (respectively) a med student, a pastor, and a nightclub owner. 

All Haywood did after college was play 10 years in the NBA, including several as starting point guard for the Indiana Pacers.

I think he could probably hold his own with those guys... :wink:

I double-checked the rebound record before I posted - Eddie Woods had 1,365, Caleb is currently at 1,129 career rebounds.

I thought Mark Acres held the career record, and I knew Caleb had just passed him on the career charts.  Forgot about Eddie Woods - he was a quick jumper, along the lines of Marchello.  Always had a knack for timing his jump to be on a different level than everyone else on the floor...

Career records are hard to quantify - sure, Eddie Woods had more rebounds, but he benefited from playing inferior opposition, in an era when EVERYONE shot the ball more often, with ORU as the leader of the pack in shot attempts, resulting in more rebound opportunities.  Case in point:  Anthony Roberts averaged as many rebounds per game his senior year as Caleb!  But on the other hand, Caleb has benefited in career stats by playing so many total games:  33 per season the past two years, and he will play in at least 30 this year.  Caleb already stands at 120 career games played, no one else in the top statistical categories played more than 110 or so...

Career records are hard to quantify - sure, Eddie Woods had more rebounds, but he benefited from playing inferior opposition, in an era when EVERYONE shot the ball more often, with ORU as the leader of the pack in shot attempts, resulting in more rebound opportunities.  Case in point:  Anthony Roberts averaged as many rebounds per game his senior year as Caleb!  But on the other hand, Caleb has benefited in career stats by playing so many total games:  33 per season the past two years, and he will play in at least 30 this year.  Caleb already stands at 120 career games played, no one else in the top statistical categories played more than 110 or so...

Great points, OT, and I couldn't agree more.  The quality of the opposition contributes a great deal to the stats accumulated.  That is one reason that we look with a bit of a jaundiced eye on the records set during the NAIA years, i.e. Greg Sutton's.  One interesting note on this is that Caleb has arguably had some of his best games against the strongest competition, a fact that is trumpeted in the "Game Notes" before every game. 

You also answered another question I had after flipping through a media guide this AM.  In the records section, it said that Jeff Acres had the highest number of career games, with 122.  There's another record that Caleb will break in the next week, provided he remains injury free.  And, as I pointed out in a post a couple weeks ago, Caleb may be the most durable player ever at ORU.  He simply doesn't get injured.

In regards to Greg Sutton, yes he 'jacked' up a lot of shots and played under Trickey's street ball system, but he could put the ball on the floor and beat his man off the dribble as well as ANYONE. He played a couple of years in the NBA, also.

I feel like he is WAY under appreciated because of the "NAIA years", unjustly. He is an all time ORU great...PERIOD. You put him (under control) on this years team and we are a legit Top 25 team.