ORU Dream Team

Old Titan

Guest Rob Marshall

Hey, Double-M:  I'd spot your team 10 points and STILL beat you by double digits! :mrgreen:

And I'd bet the farm on OT's team and would retire at 38!

MM ... I know all the "feel good" stuff about Luke and he obviously was a terrific kid and a good player for ORU for several years, but Earl, Haywood and go back to Cat Johnson and you can find several 1's to draft ahead of LSG.  Sorry man; gotta go strong behind OT on this one!

I like OT's team, but I would find a way to get Fuqua in the Top 7, he definitely deserves to be there.  Maybe we could call the top 3 reserves and add Richard Fuqua.  Then I think it's right on.

I couldn't agree more with ORUVoice about Greg Sutton.  He could make 3's from anywhere, both off the dribble and off of screens/set plays.  He was very quick as well.  And he played in the NBA.....

I like OT's team, but I would find a way to get Fuqua in the Top 7, he definitely deserves to be there.  Maybe we could call the top 3 reserves and add Richard Fuqua.  Then I think it's right on.

I couldn't agree more with ORUVoice about Greg Sutton.  He could make 3's from anywhere, both off the dribble and off of screens/set plays.  He was very quick as well.  And he played in the NBA.....

Leaving Fuqua off the team was my toughest decision, but from what I remember, and from the video I have seen of him since, I just don't know if he would do as well against the bigger, stronger guards of today.  I'm afraid he would not able to defend a really strong guard the way Workman, Sutton or Gill might, nor he would be able to get as many shots if he was being "bodied" the way guards of today do on defense.  Still, "Even OLDER Titan" (my dad) says I'm nuts - that Fuqua should be my first pick, and he ought to know; he saw every game Richard ever played.  So, I almost put him on as a reserve, just for his offensive skills alone, but Gill got the nod based on sheer physical ability.

Most people don't realize how good a defensive player Sutton was - he could really get all over people when he wanted to...

Good choices on best dream team for the Big Dance.  How about a most entertaining team?

Gotta put Arnold Dugger in there who was Magic before anyone ever heard of Earvin Johnson.  Or maybe a 7'6" John Hollinden or John Showman whose afro was taller than he was.  Best distance shooter I ever saw at ORU.  Lamont Reid with his 42 or 48 inch vertical leap.  Cat Johnson was very entertaining.  Also, Lionel Worrell who skipped down the court clutching himself in pain after taking a shot below the belt.  Anthony "Woosie" Roberts was the most entertaining with a 66 point game and a 65 point game in the NIT against Oregon at the Mabee Center. I never saw Fuqua but the old(er) timers say he was the most entertaining.

My ORU knowledge doesn't go back very far but the most entertaining players of my time are Larry Owens and Markius Barnes. Markius sometimes for the wrong reasons, but still, quite the character.

• 10 months later...

Starters

Luke Spencer-Gardner

Richard Fuqua

Anthony Roberts

Caleb Green

Mark Acres

Bench

Larry Owens

Yemi Ogunoye  ( i know )

This is the team I'd like to bring to the NCAA Tournament.  Luke is the toughest player to have played in the new era at ORU.  He can guard a larger opponent, and would bring an attitude to the team every night.  He's the guy that clocks in at game time, and really goes to work.

Fuqua and Roberts are two of the best offensive threats in school history.  I never saw them play, and I haven't seen much video footage.  It sounds like they could shoot the ball from just about anywhere though.

Green and Acres are double-double machines.  They would clean the glass on both ends, and both shot a high percentage.  Acres also brings us a defensive presence.

My bench contains the best role player in school history with Larry Owens.  He causes a lot of match-up problems.

Yemi is an odd pick considering all the talent available, but I feel that he would fit into a role with this team.  The team has enough offense, but really needs a defensive presence on the bench.

I don't know how much scoring I would need coming off the bench with Roberts, Fuqua and Green in the line-up.  You can count on those guys not to take very many nights off.

The line-up is pretty versatile as well.

This was from a while back, but I want it to be known that I put Yemi on my dream team.  My only mistake was not making him a starter!!!  :-D

As much as I admired the contributions of Luke, Earl, and Cat, it should be noted that following their ORU careers, they became (respectively) a med student, a pastor, and a nightclub owner. 

Cat Johnson owns a nightclub?  Where?  I got to go!

PS:  Mad Props to MM for seeing the greatness that is Yemi before the rest of (most of) us.

I just wonder if there would be enough basketballs to go around for Fuqua, Roberts, Acres, and Caleb. Now that there's a 3-point line, those guys could throw in 200 points a game. I just happened to look through ORU's records- Fuqua scored over 1,000 points in a season once?? Are you kidding? That would be a great career for a lot of good college players.

Since ORU has a long tradition of guys with awesome hair, I'm thinking of coming up with an All-Hair team. Anthony Roberts and Mark Acres are first ballot starters. Larry Owens, Markius Barnes and Robert Jarvis make that team also.

• Like 1

Don't we need a coach, too, for the Dream Team?

Trickey

Hayes

Self

Sutton

If not Trickey, Sutton is soon approaching his stature.

You can have good players but you need someone who knows what he's doing as coach.

Don't we need a coach, too, for the Dream Team?

Trickey

Hayes

Self

Sutton

If not Trickey, Sutton is soon approaching his stature.

You can have good players but you need someone who knows what he's doing as coach.

Well in my opinion, for fans of my generation it HAS to be Sutton, not that Trickey wasn't a good coach (he WAS). But Sutton led us back after 20+ years in the NCAA desert - quite an amazing accomplishment.

Guys, you have to give the nod to Self as the coach of the dream team.  He's won many NCAA Tournament games.  He led TU to the Elite Eight, and we are now seeing the difficulty of that achievement.  He also took us to the NIT without being in a conference... not easy.  Sutton has the opportunity in time to pass Self, but obviously at this point Self is more successful.  Throw a NCAA Tournament win or two on Sutton's resume and then we can talk.  With that said, I'm very happy to have Sutton as our head coach. He's a great coach for us.

Obviously.... have to go with T-Bone somewhere on the list.  Although he was under the radar most of the time at ORU, he had a nice career in the NBA.  LO reminded me so much of T-Bone's college days, but man he bulked up in the pros.  I went and saw him once in San Diego and almost didn't recognize him.    Yelled "T-Bone" from the stands and he immediately turned to look.  We were classmates and although I didn't know him well at all, I always admired his blocked shots and his board work.  And he  wore the socks up to the knees before Chad was born!

He also played on a team that got swatted by OSU in Stillwater... about 1976 or so.... I was there... probably along with OT.  So last night was pretty sweet for us geezers.

Have to Throw Markius Barnes in there lol jk...he was a really exciting player to watch tho, & one of my favorites....I like Old Titans picks tho...cant decide whether to put Luke in there at Reserve instead of Larry, both really good athletes

Alvin was a great defender, shot blocker, and rebounder, but his offensive skills were in the Rocky Walls neighborhood.  He didn't have the slashing ability or outside shooting touch of Larry Owens.  Larry really was a freak - there were times last year when he played all five positions in the same game, doing everything from bringing the ball up against the press to defending the other team's big man in the post.  Just take a look at my avatar at left - I wish you could see the expression on Caleb's face.  He looks like he's worried LO is going to rip the rim off!

Since your current avatar doesn't seem to reflect much athleticism, I'm assuming you had a different avatar at the time this was posted - pre- "cowbell" even.  Think you could share a bit larger version of that pic with us so we could see what you were talking about?

I've only been an ORU fan since the 2000 season when I was a freshman, and I wouldn't call this my all-star team but just a really good team with some of my recent favorite players that I think would be REALLY fun to watch...

C - Kendrick Moore

PF - Caleb Green

SF - Larry Owens

SG - Ken Tutt

PG - Robert Jarvis

Guys, you have to give the nod to Self as the coach of the dream team.  He's won many NCAA Tournament games.  He led TU to the Elite Eight, and we are now seeing the difficulty of that achievement.  He also took us to the NIT without being in a conference... not easy.  Sutton has the opportunity in time to pass Self, but obviously at this point Self is more successful.  Throw a NCAA Tournament win or two on Sutton's resume and then we can talk.  With that said, I'm very happy to have Sutton as our head coach. He's a great coach for us.

If I vote with my heart, it's Scott Sutton hands down.  However, if we confine our criteria to success at ORU the choice is Ken Trickey based upon the number of wins and the 1974 trip to the Elite Eight.