SDSU at ORU

theeagleman5

The real season starts tonight with the Jacks visiting JLJ...it's very important that the Good Guys win this series at home vs. a decent SDSU squad....both teams have matching 7-10 records....Jakob Hall on the hill tonight for ORU....GO BLUE!!! :tb-white:

• Like 3

7 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

The real season starts tonight with the Jacks visiting JLJ...it's very important that the Good Guys win this series at home vs. a decent SDSU squad....both teams have matching 7-10 records....Jakob Hall on the hill tonight for ORU....GO BLUE!!! :tb-white:

And we're off to an inauspicious start . . .

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, tmh8286 said:

And we're off to an inauspicious start . . .

I’ll take “Understatements” for $500 Alex. 

• Like 1

We had our opportunities, but we could not get clutch hitting when we needed it.  Every team has at least one good pitcher, and SDSU's pitcher tonight was very good.  We had the winning run at the plate in the eighth and the tying run at the plate (with two RISPs) in the ninth and neither time could we get the hit that we needed.  We left Jakob in too long (again) and didn't get him help until it was too late. 

We are a team that is still finding itself and hopefully we do that before May rolls around.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

I’ll take “Understatements” for $500 Alex. 

I was actually referring to tonight's game, but I guess that also describes the whole season so far.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bogus Smith said:

We had our opportunities, but we could not get clutch hitting when we needed it.  Every team has at least one good pitcher, and SDSU's pitcher tonight was very good.  We had the winning run at the plate in the eighth and the tying run at the plate (with two RISPs) in the ninth and neither time could we get the hit that we needed.  We left Jakob in too long (again) and didn't get him help until it was too late. 

We are a team that is still finding itself and hopefully we do that before May rolls around.

Thanks for the eye witness account. I’m on holiday in Guatemala so couldn’t watch the game. Lack of clutch hitting and leaving pitchers in a tad too long is becoming a theme. I think we have some good options in middle relief. Maybe when we have Carvalho back at full strength that will give Fulmer more middle relief options and he can manage the starters differently. 

26 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

Thanks for the eye witness account. I’m on holiday in Guatemala so couldn’t watch the game. Lack of clutch hitting and leaving pitchers in a tad too long is becoming a theme. I think we have some good options in middle relief. Maybe when we have Carvalho back at full strength that will give Fulmer more middle relief options and he can manage the starters differently. 

Carvalho starts on Sunday for us.  So far he has pitched one inning and two innings, respectively in his last two starts.  I am sure he is on a pitch count as he comes back from injury, but don't know how long he will be in for Sunday's game.  Still, we have several guys in the bullpen working out kinks in their arms which is limiting options.  It's just part of getting through the season and hoping everyone is "all-hands-on-deck" when it counts.

1 minute ago, Bogus Smith said:

Carvalho starts on Sunday for us.  So far he has pitched one inning and two innings, respectively in his last two starts.  I am sure he is on a pitch count as he comes back from injury, but don't know how long he will be in for Sunday's game.  Still, we have several guys in the bullpen working out kinks in their arms which is limiting options.  It's just part of getting through the season and hoping everyone is "all-hands-on-deck" when it counts.

I PM with Josh’s dad on Twitter. Sounds like Josh is making good progress. He had a really good summer. It is a shame he got derailed by injury.  I’m optimistic that by May Josh will be hitting on all cylinders and be a big contributor. 

• Like 1

Saturday's game is an early season MUST WIN....ORU has to take this series at home or it's not good.....come on, guys!! Time for a really big Folmar pre-game speech..... :shield-logo:

• Like 1

Our boys having some real problems . . .

We leave too many runners on base....way too many.

We give too many free passes...either by HBP or BB.

Let's start by fixing these two things and see where we are.  I fear that until we do, we will not achieve much success this season.  We make it so hard on ourselves to be successful.

TheEagleman is extremely disappointed....looks like ORU just doesn't have the horses this season.....we badly need to salvage the finale this afternoon vs. the Jacks....GO BLUE!!! :tb-white:

The real crime about yesterday is that I was so certain that we wouldn't drop 2 in a row at home to the Bunnies that I paid $16 for wifi so I could stream it on my flight home yesterday.  😡

20 hours ago, Otis 83 said:

We give too many free passes...either by HBP or BB.

Adam must be reading my posts 🙂 

Carvalho gives up back to back singles.  Adam makes note of that and says "at least you're making them earn their way on."

Grand slam in the top of the sixth, with 2 outs I might add, makes it 6-0 SDSU and puts ORU in serious risk of being swept at home.

The team has some serious "soul searching" to do in righting their ship.  They lose the hope of hosting the 2025 Summit League tournament in May of next year and they have left themselves no margin for error.  The pitcher today rarely touched 80 mph on any of his pitches and was able to keep our hitters off guard all day - even the third round through the lineup.  Our team ERA is 7.49 and our batting average as a team stands at .292 - and that is before the SDSU series.  We have hit a total of nine HRs in the first 20 games, less than one home run every two games - probably a record for us.

I am hopeful that the guys with injuries will heal soon, the guys that need to focus on eliminating errors will envision those plays so that they can make them, and that those that are committed to their teammates and coaches will encourage and pull on the rope in the same direction for each other.

The question for tomorrow is.....which SDSU pitcher will be named Pitcher of the Week.  It could be a tough choice for those that make those decisions.

• Like 2

7-13 (0-3)....not a very encouraging start to the season.....ORU at the bottom of the Summit League in Basketball and now Baseball???....what is the world coming to???..what's next???...The Cowboys win a playoff game???.....Sleepy Joe re-elected???....Heaven Forbid.....ORU needs to right the ship this weekend vs. NDSU or it's going to be a long season....would be embarrassing not to qualify for the Summit Tournament that we host at JLJ in late May.....ouch!!! 😥:tb-white:😵‍💫