Round 2: South Dakota State

Keenan Henderson

17 minutes ago, dbl78 said:

I don’t think this post will age well either.

I guess we will see.

What I saw this year doesn't show a lot of promise for the future.

27 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

Didn't Max play similar minutes last year? Also, hard to compare NBA and college seasons related to MPG. NBA guys are playing far more often and and their season is far longer. 

Max is a freak athlete and a very disciplined player. Hard to compare him to players on this squad, although I would argue that we saw his effectiveness fade towards the end of last season. The fact that we had the top two D-1 players in average minutes played is remarkable. I agree that comparing college and NBA players is not relevant. 

Coach Springman said some interesting statements in the post game:

1. It felt like SDSU went on a 40-0 run during that decisive stretch at the end of the first half.

2. He learned a lot this season in his first year as coach: mainly how many hours, meetings, etc it takes to build a winning mentality in players.  He said you have change their thinking from me to we.

3. He almost cried when asked about McBride and Thompson's impact on the team.

4. He raved about William Kyle and how he keeps things simple: score around the rim and plays great team defense

5. He said Kareem turned down six figures in NIL money to come back to ORU.

• Like 2

About as expected tonight but TheEagleman not giving up on Springmann just yet....and yeah the Summit Tourney should get moved around....but good luck with that....😬

• Upvote 4

It will be a slow process: I do not expect Springmann to win 20 plus and go to the tournament next year but he needs to get ORU back to 500.  Then build from there.

SDSU's fan base will buy 10,000 plus tickets every year, so why would the Summit League change it's location.   It is a money move.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Coach Springman said some interesting statements in the post game:

1. It felt like SDSU went on a 40-0 run during that decisive stretch at the end of the first half.

2. He learned a lot this season in his first year as coach: mainly how many hours, meetings, etc it takes to build a winning mentality in players.  He said you have change their thinking from me to we.

3. He almost cried when asked about McBride and Thompson's impact on the team.

4. He raved about William Kyle and how he keeps things simple: score around the rim and plays great team defense

5. He said Kareem turned down six figures in NIL money to come back to ORU.

I know the insiders probably can’t reveal exact amounts, but are ORU players getting NIL? From where? Is the collective up and running?I know Max had a car deal…

If Kareem turned down 6 figures that’s interesting for sure

59 minutes ago, 2014Grad said:

I know the insiders probably can’t reveal exact amounts, but are ORU players getting NIL? From where? Is the collective up and running?I know Max had a car deal…

If Kareem turned down 6 figures that’s interesting for sure

Yes, there is an NIL but there is no one getting a six-figure deal at ORU.  The state of college athletics is in such a state of flux currently.  We are attempting to build the donor base and compete.  Our fans can contribute to the NIL at www.eternalflamecollective.com.  

• Upvote 3

SDSU controlled the paint tonight by 36-18.  Mayo started off with a lot of drives and 6-7 shooting in the first half, which opened it up for the bigs to dominate in the second half.  ORU started off hitting 3s, which if they had an inside game, would have opened it up for the bigs.  The Eagles tried to post Kareem but it just did not work.  He does not have the size to overpower people on a nightly basis.

I like McBride but the tournament being held in Sioux Falls had no bearing on the early exit.

The lack of development and regression to iso ball we witnessed all season was a much larger factor than all the Jackrabbit fans.

• Upvote 5

35 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

I like McBride but the tournament being held in Sioux Falls had no bearing on the early exit.

The lack of development and regression to iso ball we witnessed all season was a much larger factor than all the Jackrabbit fans.

Although, I don’t think that was the point he was making. He was saying Tulsa is a beautiful city and an excellent place to host the tournament. He said in other sports the school that wins the conference title gets to host the postseason tournament, and he thinks basketball should be that way as well. I don’t think he was blaming the loss on the location.

At least that is my take on what he said.

The things he was saying made me wonder if he was actually responding to some of Paul Mills arguments from last season more than about this season, because in effect, the team that won the regular season title is more or less  hosting the postseason tournament.

• Upvote 2