Round 2: South Dakota State

Keenan Henderson

ORU survives and advances to the quaterfinals.  Up next, the red hot Jackrabbits: winners of 5 in a row and conference champs.  SDSU is getting the offense flowing, having scored about 82 points per game during that 5 game winning streak.  They have about 5 or 6 guys that can hurt you but I would look to slow down Mayo and make the others beat you.   If they do then you shake their hand and say good game.  Mayo is the player of the year but he had 100 turnovers this season.  Kareem needs to get some steals tonight!

25 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

ORU survives and advances to the quaterfinals.  Up next, the red hot Jackrabbits: winners of 5 in a row and conference champs.  SDSU is getting the offense flowing, having scored about 82 points per game during that 5 game winning streak.  They have about 5 or 6 guys that can hurt you but I would look to slow down Mayo and make the others beat you.   If they do then you shake their hand and say good game.  Mayo is the player of the year but he had 100 turnovers this season.  Kareem needs to get some steals tonight!

I have to disagree with you Keenan, I think we need to do just the opposite. IMHO for us to win today we have to slow down their bigs, we cannot let Appel and Kyle just kill us down low. The last time we played them in Brookings, Appel just scored at will on that same up and under move we've seen a thousand times over the last few years and Kyle owned the glass and set up so low he had dunk after dunk with our bigs just watching.  We have to fight them off the low block, stay on our feet and box them out and force them to take tough perimeter shots with a hand up and then have all five guys boxing out their man, limiting them to one shot. We know they can beat us inside, lets make them do something different and force them to beat us outside without 2nd and 3rd shot attempts per possession. Bring some heart and pride tonight Blue as we have a great opportunity to win a tourney that a week ago looked like we had no chance in!  Expect a Miracle!! Go Eagles!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

ORU is +7.5 which TheEagleman thinks is a little light......I will tip my hat to the Good Guys for showing up last night and playing with heart to advance but the Jacks are a whole different story....if we can play like we did for 40 minutes vs. USD then yeah.....Golden Eagles have a shot to pull the upset but like last month in Brookings SDSU will wear us down and probably pull away in the final 8-10 minutes....that said we have seen some huge upsets recently in the Summit League Tournament and this one has that kind of potential.....would be lovely to knock out the #1 seed and rest up til Monday playing the 4/5 winner....but .i will give the crowd what they want and pick the home team who will have huge vocal support this evening..Jacks just have too many weapons...SDSU 85   ORU 74....:sdsu:   :tb-blue:

• Upvote 1

I would think that our bigs will have a hard time handling Appel and Kyle tonight. If fouls rack up on Herron and Jones, it will come down to how effective Moore and Smith can be in their absence.  If we can knock the game down low off their rhythm, we have a chance.  Our guards know how to rebound; our bigs need to step up and play smart now.

• Upvote 2

The Eagles played SDSU tough in both games vs SDSU.  I would expect them to play with some energy early on but they may run out of gas in the 2nd half.  Max and Kareem lead the nation in most minutes on court.   It looked like Kareem was starting to cramp up late in yesterday's win.  They need a break in the first half.

• Like 1

4 guys just standing around watching on offense 

I am out on Springmann. 

We unfortunately will have to wait a few more seasons for a coaching change but I’ve seen enough.

The way this season was mismanaged was absolute malpractice.

• Upvote 4

One they put on the pressure ORU's no dimensional O is exposed 

A scoring drought >10 minutes to finish the half. smh

Fortunately I have UMHB acrobatics and tumbling going on my laptop. The Crusaders are very well coached. 

ORU looked tired after about 10 minutes in the first half.  SDSU goes on a 24-0 run in the last 10 minutes of the half.  That is your ball game folks.

The Eagles started out up 16-6 and they woke up the angry lion in SDSU.  

• Like 1

Eagles had good guard play/3 point shooters but lack of inside scorer/rebounder and weak bench leads to a 12-19 season.  SDSU has good guard play, interior scoring and bench play and that is why they won the conference.  That guy William Kyle for the Jackrabbits is maybe the best athlete in the conference since I can remember.  He can jump out of the gym.

Big thanks to the seniors, DJ and Kareem, who had a great career and helped ORU to the Sweet 16 and then a 30 win season.  Kareem finishes tied for 7th in school history in steals and DJ finishes tied for 4th in school history in blocks!

• Like 3

Why we played these guys so much for the entire season is unfathomable … They are obviously fatigued and have been for a month. And as a result, we have guys on the bench who played very limited minutes and were unable to gain experience or mature. 

image.thumb.jpeg.01f2800fd55b9fd96e6e613630ae25a6.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Didn't Max play similar minutes last year? Also, hard to compare NBA and college seasons related to MPG. NBA guys are playing far more often and and their season is far longer. 

POWERFUL post-game press conference by Isaac, Kareem and Coach Springmann. As fans we put a lot of importance on winning, but when I watch a press conference like that it makes me proud of this team and the quality people that are on it. 

• Like 3

ORU82

Golden Eagle

Sports: ORU, Ohio, Steelers, Pirates

Posted May 30, 2021

One thing is for sure, the trajectory of the program has been downward for at least the last several years.  As OT said, given our resources, geography, history and whatever, we are not getting the best possible return on our investment.  It seems that we are settling for mediocre at best.  Coach Folmar did not inherit a team/program that was in the toilet and had to be rebuilt, he took over a team/program that had a very impressive and rich history.  Sadly, we have gotten worse rather then better.  It is time for a change.

BTW, congrats to NDSU and good luck in the "Big Dance".  Make the Summit League proud Bizon!

2 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

I am out on Springmann. 

We unfortunately will have to wait a few more seasons for a coaching change but I’ve seen enough.

The way this season was mismanaged was absolute malpractice.

I don’t think this post will age well either.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, tmh8286 said:

POWERFUL post-game press conference by Isaac, Kareem and Coach Springmann. As fans we put a lot of importance on winning, but when I watch a press conference like that it makes me proud of this team and the quality people that are on it. 

Can you share tidbits or cliff notes for those who didn’t see?

Isaac said in the postgame that the tournament should not always be played on basically SDSU's homecourt.  He said the winner of the previous season should host the tournament as baseball and soccer do.  McBride said it could be played at the BOK in downtown Tulsa.  I thought it was a really good point.

We talked about this before but I do not see the tournament changing sites for another 10 years.

• Upvote 1