UMass Lowell Redhawks at ORU

Otis 83

2 hours ago, MrsSmith said:

I wouldn't give up on this team yet!  This is baseball.  UML made some good plays and obviously hit the ball well.  Maybe they weren't as bad as we thought.

Yes it is baseball and it is a hard, and sometimes cruel, game.  I'm nowhere near the point of giving up on this team but today's performance is concerning.  It is possible that UML is better than the writers who cover the American Conference think they are.   Teams do outperform their preseason prognostication.  I still think it is fair to say that this is a team that ORU should sweep.

All respect to the Redhawks who never quit, in either game, and battled for a win in the second game today and almost stole one in the first game.

• Upvote 2

Baseball and basketball seem similar this year: talented but have holes in their defense and thus the results are very up and down.  

Losing our starting catcher is HUGE.  Also, our pitching has not been as good as I expected. 

Last year going into conference we were 10-8 - not that different.

I still believe we will win the Summit.  Winning the regional is a huge task which I don't expect to repeat often.

• Like 1

With several new players it will take about 20 games for Coach Folmar to settle in on who he can really trust.  This team lost a lot of amazing players from last year’s team that are not easily replaceable.

• Upvote 2

I do wonder if Coach Fulmer sometimes makes choices that we may question in these early season nonconference games to allow players opportunity to fight through battles, in hopes that the confidence it provides will be helpful later when the games are more important.

• Like 1

Some improvement in the camera work today. I just saw Alex Rogers make a great play in the outfield. 

Embarrassing to lose this series like that....ugh...🤢🤮🤢

• Upvote 3

Now, we get to see where the heart of the team is after finishing up our non-conference schedule on Tuesday - presumably at 7-10. 

The REAL season starts on Friday at JLJ with South Dakota State.  Every team has at least ONE good pitcher to put out on the mound, so no one series is going to be a guarantee to win.

It is time for the team to take stock and make their adjustments.