ORU at Baylor

Otis 83

Good start despite the fact that the top of the first ended on the base path. Carmack looks sharp. Another error 😡

Baylor has already gone to the pen. Not sure 🤔 if that was the plan. 

Baylor ties it up in the bottom of the third, aided by a HBP 😡, but the good guys back on top scoring on a wild pitch.

It appears the start wasn’t expected to go very far today. I found this in his bio.  “Appeared in 17 games out of the bullpen before suffering a season-ending injury … 

I guess I’m the only one watching baseball. What’s everyone else doing? 😛

Welp…wheels falling of in Waco and Tulsa today. 🙁

• Upvote 2

This was a sobering weekend....but the Good news is that we have Central Michigan and UMass-Lowell on the horizon....:tb-white:

• Upvote 2

On 3/2/2024 at 6:20 PM, Otis 83 said:

There’s always tomorrow. That’s what makes baseball such a great game. I surmised that the Bears might be better than their record and that is turning out to be the case. Initially @Bogus Smith only asked for one W. We will try again tomorrow. 

Well, neither one of us delivered on the bet.  I would have gladly paid off with even ONE win this weekend.  It's still a long season ahead for our baseball team.  Can't say the same for our MBB team.  🙄

Not gonna lie, it was a tough series.  The weather was great in Waco this weekend and the Bears do have a beautiful ballpark.  Over the outfield fence is the soccer field.  It looked like the Lady Bears were playing Sunday afternoon.  Past the soccer field is a small lake.  I think it is the same lake where I took gal from Lake Charles to ride paddle boats during debate camp in 1978...but that's another story that no one wants to hear.

I got to meet some parents of our players.  There was a lot of family representation in the stands.  So much that everyone I talked to other than Tim Johnson and Matt Moore asked me if I had a player on the team.  Thankfully no one asked if I was a grandfather of a player.

Baylor fans couldn't have been nicer save this jerk who was wearing a bearskin version of a Davy Crockett hat on Saturday.  I was decked out in ORU gear every game so my affiliation was obvious.  One of their fans gave my party menu suggestions at the outfield grill.  An usher came over Friday night to tell us where we could meet our players at the bus (back to that parent assumption).  Folks saying welcome, goodbye, come back tomorrow.  I thanked several of them for making me feel so welcome.  One lady said "we do have some jerks you just haven't met them yet."  It was fun to hear the Baptists get irritated with the strike zone on Sunday.  I can appreciate some non-profane anger.

Back to baseball, there were some good things over the course of three games.  Starting pitching looked good...until it didn't.  Guys got on base...but couldn't get home often enough.  On the other side of the ledger...HBP and fielding errors continue to be a problem.

Let it be known that I have utmost faith in Coach Fulmer but I do feel in all three games he left a pitcher out on the bump a little too long.  On Friday and Saturday it was the starting pitcher.  Yesterday it was Connor Floyd.  Floyd relieves Isaacs in the 7th with ORU up 7-6 with runners on 2nd and 3rd, thanks to a fielding error.  First batter he gives up a ground out to second that scores a run.  When a reliever inherits two runners in scoring position stuff like that happens.  Runner on second advances to third on the same play.  Next batter, a WP scores a run.  ORU down 8-7 now.  Then he gives up a single and another runner is on 3rd.  He gets out of the inning with a caught stealing at second.  For the inning 7 balls and 4 strikes.

So I'm thinking, we're not going to see Floyd come out for the 8th.  He wasn't sharp and only got one out.  Bottom of the 8th rolls around and it is 8-7 and a winnable ball game.  I'm thinking that Dalton Patton is coming out to keep this a one run game and give us a chance.  Floyd is back out and we get:

• HBP (after 3 balls)
  • Ground out to second
  • Double RBI
  • Pop out
  • Homer 2 RBI
  • Single

Ure comes in for the last out but the damage has been done, ORU down 11-7.  I promise you I am not bagging on Connor Floyd.  What I mumbled under my breath was "That isn't fair to this kid."  What a called out to the field was "It's a little late Coach....a little late."

I get it.  It is early in the season.  I'm not hitting the panic button.  Perhaps Coach Fulmer is still figuring out his staff and perhaps he's letting the starters run to find their stride.  Clearly we didn't have another run in us in the top of the 9th on Sunday but I would have liked a chance.  Pretty sure the approach at the plate is different down 1 than down 4.  Here's hoping the pitching settles down and Coach Fulmer gets a handle on what he has and how he needs to manage the pitchers.  And for crying out loud we need to quit stranding so many baserunners!

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Otis 83 said:

Not gonna lie, it was a tough series.  The weather was great in Waco this weekend and the Bears do have a beautiful ballpark.  Over the outfield fence is the soccer field.  It looked like the Lady Bears were playing Sunday afternoon.  Past the soccer field is a small lake.  I think it is the same lake where I took gal from Lake Charles to ride paddle boats during debate camp in 1978...but that's another story that no one wants to hear.

I got to meet some parents of our players.  There was a lot of family representation in the stands.  So much that everyone I talked to other than Tim Johnson and Matt Moore asked me if I had a player on the team.  Thankfully no one asked if I was a grandfather of a player.

Baylor fans couldn't have been nicer save this jerk who was wearing a bearskin version of a Davy Crockett hat on Saturday.  I was decked out in ORU gear every game so my affiliation was obvious.  One of their fans gave my party menu suggestions at the outfield grill.  An usher came over Friday night to tell us where we could meet our players at the bus (back to that parent assumption).  Folks saying welcome, goodbye, come back tomorrow.  I thanked several of them for making me feel so welcome.  One lady said "we do have some jerks you just haven't met them yet."  It was fun to hear the Baptists get irritated with the strike zone on Sunday.  I can appreciate some non-profane anger.

Back to baseball, there were some good things over the course of three games.  Starting pitching looked good...until it didn't.  Guys got on base...but couldn't get home often enough.  On the other side of the ledger...HBP and fielding errors continue to be a problem.

Let it be known that I have utmost faith in Coach Fulmer but I do feel in all three games he left a pitcher out on the bump a little too long.  On Friday and Saturday it was the starting pitcher.  Yesterday it was Connor Floyd.  Floyd relieves Isaacs in the 7th with ORU up 7-6 with runners on 2nd and 3rd, thanks to a fielding error.  First batter he gives up a ground out to second that scores a run.  When a reliever inherits two runners in scoring position stuff like that happens.  Runner on second advances to third on the same play.  Next batter, a WP scores a run.  ORU down 8-7 now.  Then he gives up a single and another runner is on 3rd.  He gets out of the inning with a caught stealing at second.  For the inning 7 balls and 4 strikes.

So I'm thinking, we're not going to see Floyd come out for the 8th.  He wasn't sharp and only got one out.  Bottom of the 8th rolls around and it is 8-7 and a winnable ball game.  I'm thinking that Dalton Patton is coming out to keep this a one run game and give us a chance.  Floyd is back out and we get:

• HBP (after 3 balls)
  • Ground out to second
  • Double RBI
  • Pop out
  • Homer 2 RBI
  • Single

Ure comes in for the last out but the damage has been done, ORU down 11-7.  I promise you I am not bagging on Connor Floyd.  What I mumbled under my breath was "That isn't fair to this kid."  What a called out to the field was "It's a little late Coach....a little late."

I get it.  It is early in the season.  I'm not hitting the panic button.  Perhaps Coach Fulmer is still figuring out his staff and perhaps he's letting the starters run to find their stride.  Clearly we didn't have another run in us in the top of the 9th on Sunday but I would have liked a chance.  Pretty sure the approach at the plate is different down 1 than down 4.  Here's hoping the pitching settles down and Coach Fulmer gets a handle on what he has and how he needs to manage the pitchers.  And for crying out loud we need to quit stranding so many baserunners!

Thanks for representing, @Otis 83!  Personally, I am glad we didn't make the trip to Waco as it would have been a frustrating time.  I can appreciate that we want to help our guys figure out to work themselves out of a jam that they created, but we do have a tendency to leave pitchers in too long.

And, as the Baylor announcer said all weekend, Coach Foal-mar, when talking about Ryan Folmar.  You would think that by the second game someone in the press box would have heard the guy and given him the correct enunciation.  

We would get the "which player is your son?" all the time when we traveled to away games.  We've met so many wonderful parents over the years.  

I hope you had fun even though the results weren't good.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Otis 83 said:

• HBP (after 3 balls)
  • Ground out to second
  • Double RBI
  • Pop out
  • Homer 2 RBI
  • Single

EXCELLENT first-hand summary of the weekend, Otis!!  Thanks!!