ORU at Baylor

Otis 83

58 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

After a heartbreaker against the Wichita State Shockers, our beloved Golden Eagles are headed to the Heart of Texas aka Waco for a three game weekend series against the Baylor Bears. 

The Bears are off to a rough start posting a 1-7 record so far.  They opened up the year at one of those college showcases we long to be a part of.  This one was at Globe Life Field, home of the World Series champion Texas Rangers.  They dropped 3 games to Nebraska, Oregon and Tennessee. They followed that with win over Lamar before getting swept at home by #22 Indiana.  Last night they dropped a home game to the Abilene Christian Wildcats.

Offensively, the Bears seem to be struggling.  The team batting average is .236, OPS is .682 and the SLG % is .341.  They are averaging around 4.4 runs a game.  Their strikeout rate is 28% and they strikeout almost twice as often as they draw walks.  Good news could be that they average barely more than 1 HBP per game :-).  Based on performance so far this year, it is hard to identify who their most dangerous hitters are.  There leader at the plate is Enzo Apodaca who is batting .387 with 12 hits, 2 BB and 2 HBP.  After that, the rest of the squad is batting below .300.

Defensively their fielding % is .952 and they average 1.75 errors a game which could be contributing to a disappointing start to the season.  Team ERA is 6.3 while they give up 6.8 runs per game so unearned runs are about a half a run per game.  Baylor hasn't published game notes yet so I can't tell who we will be facing.  Heck the Baylor coach may not know.  They have had several instances where the starting pitcher didn't last more than 2 or 3 innings so he may still be sorting out his rotation.

Despite their struggles so far, this is still a Power 5 squad and I'm sure there is more talent on the roster than season to date results would indicate.  I'm sure that Coach Fulmer and the team will not take the Bears lightly.  That having been said, this appears to be a great opportunity to grab some Power 5 wins and strengthen ORU's resume.

I am attending all 3 games in Waco.  I will have my oldest daughter and her boyfriend on Friday and Saturday.  Hopefully on Sunday my youngest son will join me. I'm in section 104 row 4 for all three games.  If you are able to attend any of the games please come by and say hi.

@Otis 83, it looks like you're giving @TrueBlue82 a run for his money as the statistics guru!  🤣

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bogus Smith said:

@Otis 83, it looks like you're giving @TrueBlue82 a run for his money as the statistics guru!  🤣

Ha!  I don't dare to even walk in his shadow.  He is Yoda and I am barely a padawan.  I just have more time on my hands because I gave up on MBB 🤬

Entertaining game so far through 3 innings. 

Good guys getting on base every frame, and Jakob Hall has been electric before giving up a couple of hits in the bottom of the third to tie the game at 2 runs each.

Otis has probably had 6 Lone Stars by now....Go Blue!!!...🍻🍻🍻

43 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Lone Star may be "The National Beer of Texas", but I'll take a Shiner Bock from the Spoetzl Brewery in Shiner, TX any day of the week, and twice on Sundays. 

And, from the sound of the yardbirds bleeding through on the field mic of the Baylor broadcast on ESPN+, I would guess that more than a few Bears fans in attendance have been enjoying one of those brands tonight.

Which reminds me of a joke...

• Jews don't recognize Jesus as the Messiah.
  • Protestants don't recognize the pope as the head of the church.
  • and Baptists don't recognize each other in the liquor store on a Friday night.  🫣 😎 🤪
  • Haha 4

23 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

The Baptists have an honor code too. Nothing but Aquafina for me at the ballpark tonight. 

Tim Johnson and Matt Moore are here. I told them the message board says hi. 

• Upvote 6

1 minute ago, Otis 83 said:

The Baptists have an honor code too. Nothing but Aquafina for me at the ballpark tonight. 

LOL - for some reason I read that as "Aqua Velva", and I was convinced you needed an intervention. 😄

• Haha 2

Brutal 6th inning, giving up 7 runs on a seemingly never-ending stream of extra-base hits and shoddy fielding.

9-2 Bears, top of the 7th.

• Upvote 1

Some of those were seeing eye grounders but, in general, I don’t disagree with your assessment. Coach stuck with Hall a bit too long and I have witnesses that I said so at the time. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

A lot of backwards Ks tonight. 

3 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Lone Star may be "The National Beer of Texas", but I'll take a Shiner Bock from the Spoetzl Brewery in Shiner, TX any day of the week, and twice on Sundays. 

And, from the sound of the yardbirds bleeding through on the field mic of the Baylor broadcast on ESPN+, I would guess that more than a few Bears fans in attendance have been enjoying one of those brands tonight.

Which reminds me of a joke...

• Jews don't recognize Jesus as the Messiah.
  • Protestants don't recognize the pope as the head of the church.
  • and Baptists don't recognize each other in the liquor store on a Friday night.  🫣 😎 🤪

First of all, I am with you all the way on Shiner over Lone Star. 

My father liked to say “whenever you find 4 Baptists you’ll always find a fifth.”

• Haha 3

I just met Elijah Rodriguez’s mother and grandmother. 

• Like 2

We were so clean in the field to start the season. What happened?

We stink.....outscored 20-5 thus far in  Waco....need to start playing some Summit League teams....😬

34 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

We stink.....outscored 20-5 thus far in  Waco....need to start playing some Summit League teams....😬

There’s always tomorrow. That’s what makes baseball such a great game. I surmised that the Bears might be better than their record and that is turning out to be the case. Initially @Bogus Smith only asked for one W. We will try again tomorrow. 

27 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

There’s always tomorrow. That’s what makes baseball such a great game. I surmised that the Bears might be better than their record and that is turning out to be the case. Initially @Bogus Smith only asked for one W. We will try again tomorrow. 

I was hoping we'd sneak in and steal this series while the Bears were down, but they seem to better than expected, and ORU so far doesn't seem up to the task at this point in the season. It's disappointing that after playing error free the first several games we had four errors today. As you say, there's always tomorrow.

We were so clean in the field to start the season. What happened?

It is a beautiful day for baseball and a great day for the Golden Eagles to avoid the sweep. Light crowd at this point. 

The team just came onto the field wearing all gray with the blue cap. 75 degrees with a light breeze blowing out straight to center field. 

• Upvote 1