ORU at St. Thomas

theeagleman5

Losing happens.....but this is a totally unacceptable performance vs. a mediocre at best opponent.... there have to be serious consequences....😡

St Thomas is a well coached team that knows exactly how to execute their offense vs ORU.  It seems that the team/coaches learned nothing from their defeat vs St Thomas a month or two ago at ORU.  This is a coaching issue in my opinion.

• Upvote 3

Nice shooting by Moore maybe he'll get more playing time. One of the few positives I have

• Upvote 4

ORU Baseball home opener one week from tomorrow...GO BLUE!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

St. Thomas played well and had 13 assists to 1 turnover at halftime.  That will win them a lot of games.   So congrats to the Tommies.

This was not the same team we saw win 3 in a row at home.  Just when they seemed to turn the corner and then ORU basically looked like they never got off the bus tonight.  I do not think they will play this bad every game going forward but they have had 3 or 4 real head scratchers this season.  The Eagles play well at home but then look like a deer in headlights when they hit the road.  Now 2-10 away from the Mabee Center.

ORU played a challenging non conference road schedule but that did not seem to prepare them for the road trips in the Summit League.

Props to HCRS for doing his postgame show, which is no small feat in St. Thomas' crackerbox of a gym:  Adam's broadcast table appeared to be at the very top of the bleachers.

Coach said he was confused by the lack of effort on defense.  Said St. Thomas does a great job of running their stuff.  Said he appreciated the effort from the bench players.

Not much else to say...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I try and stay mostly positive but last night took the wind out of my sails. I haven’t watched any of the other summit league teams play St. Thomas but I imagine every other team plays them inside-out on offense. Their biggest weakness is their undersized big men. I only saw one true pass into the paint to Herron in the second half and he didn’t convert. I know our bigs are pretty much all freshman and ST’s bigs are 5th year seniors but come on! Added bonus, if their bigs are expelling a ton of energy playing D on the block then maybe they don’t have the gas to pepper us with 3’s all game. 

Another idea, maybe have Kareem run the pick and roll instead of McBride. He can see over most of their defenders to make the pass on the roll! We kept trying it over and over and over with McBride it was very tough for him to make that pass.

The lone bright spot was Moore. He made the most of his opportunity and shot with confidence. I think we have something with him. 

If we run into ST in the first game at Sioux Falls then our season may end early unless adjustments are made. Nothing appears to have changed since we played them in January. I’m probably just trying to make myself feel better but I’d rather play ST on day two or three in Sioux Falls then day one when their legs are fresh.

• Upvote 1

After watching the St. Thomas matchup the question that I had was: can ORU's defense get better?  There are still 6 games left before March, so what can they do to improve between now and the tournament?  Here are two ideas (feel free to add your own):

1.  Throw different defenses at teams.  Switch back from man to man to zone or play some trapping defense.  At least give the opponent something to think about instead of open layups.

2. ORU needs to force turnovers and play with more aggression/desperation.  St. Thomas only had 1 turnover at halftime. When the Eagles force turnovers it allows their talent to get out on the fast break and score easily.  The Sweet 16 team was able to do this when March rolled around and it turned their defense around.

ORU has no idea how to play help defense. To watch ST players drive to the hoop and pass two blue jerseys on their way for an open layup (which they did all night in the previous game at the Mabee, by the way) is unexplainable from a players standpoint as well as a coaches position. I know helping underneath can lead to open looks when you have you "sluff" off your man to offer help, but that is where quickness and total team defense has to come in. It's just sad to me that this team does not know how to play defense and is still giving up way too many offensive rebounds when shots are missed. My eyes are still aching for watching the game last night. Actually, just the first half. I just checked on the score a few times after that. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, MrsSmith said:

The Women's game was much more enjoyable!!

Yes! The women have fire in their eyes. They fight for every rebound. And they cause a lot of turnovers for their opponents.

• Upvote 1

IMHO, start playing fundamental basketball in ALL aspects of the game.  We MAY have some talented players, and I emphasize the word MAY, but if they do not play basic fundamental basketball we will always lose against a team like the Tommies who pride themselves in executing their game plan, playing really well in all aspects of the game, and applying the fundamentals.  St. Thomas played well in D-III because they recruited and then trained kids who may not make the starting lineup of a D-I power conference team but can play near mistake free fundamental basketball and who have a high basketball IQ.  Think the Huskers in the movie Hoosiers and you will start to understand St. Thomas basketball.  Which by the way, we currently are not.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Throw different defenses at teams.  Switch back from man to man to zone or play some trapping defense.  At least give the opponent something to think about instead of open layups.

I agree with this. I was thinking that we should have tried a zone about midway through the first half when the game wasn’t over yet. I think this team’s roster would actually be pretty well suited to play a Jim Boeheim style 2-3 zone, with DJ and Kareem’s length in the corners, and McBride and Bedford harassing the top and wings. Then put Jones, Herron, or Smith in the middle. The only issue is it typically is harder to rebound out of a zone, but then again, I don’t know if the rebounding can be much worse. 

• Upvote 1

Lets be honest!!!! The problem is that there is no accountability on this team.  Mcbride playing 40 mins a game no matter how he plays. I was actually shocked he was benched with over  4 mins left in the game. Too much one on one basketball. Do they actually execute any offensive plays. This team is so easy to scout offensively.  Mcbride, 95% will force shots.  Bedford, 90 %, will force shots.  Thompson 85%, will force shots. I think the team has talent if they play more team ball versus playing individual ball just to pad their stats. Play team ball like the team who just crushed them (St. Thomas) and they could have much better chance to win the  Summit League!!!!

Edited by LoveVikings
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3