St. Thomas 1/13

Old Titan

I give St. Thomas a lot of credit: they just outplayed the Eagles.  They are a challenging team because all their guys can dribble, drive, shoot and cause a variety of problems.  There is a reason the Tommies are 13-6 and a contender for the league title.  This might be St. Thomas's biggest win in school history.  It just felt they wanted it more after they basically gave away the SDSU game.

ORU looked ho hum for about 30 minutes and then tried to wake up at the 10 minute mark but it was just too late for that.  Just when I thought the Eagles had turned the corner and could be a force in the league and then they have another off night.  So many ups and downs this year.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So much for my inaccurate prediction. Very disappointing night for the Eagles. We are proving to be an up and down team this year. Coaching staff needs to get things figured out soon or realistically we will be a  3rd to 6th place team in our conference. Always difficult to weather the storm when we have had several really good years. The silver lining could be we have quality coaches who should be able to make some adjustments 

• Upvote 1

I think ORU has a hard time dealing with facing teams that just come out and punch them in the mouth.  Both KC and St. Thomas really took it to the Eagles and they basically had no answer.  ORU was 21-0 in league play and now they are the hunted team.  Everyone wants to get a little revenge on ORU this year.

• Upvote 3

Our section raised quite a ruckus at the official, Frank Spencer, that whistled Coach Springmann for being out on the court. Although I never saw him signal, we thought he was issuing a technical foul and we let him have it!! However, apparently it was just a warning, and all of our angst was for naught! Frank probably wondered what all the fuss was about, and kind of hid himself behind the basket stanchion while we continued to boo!! 

We may have missed the call on that one, but he deserved the treatment for about a dozen other calls he made tonight, so it wasn't wasted effort!!

• Upvote 3

Man I want to find a positive so badly, but I can't. Can't blame it on officiating as horrible as it was. We have got to find some consistency on both ends of the court and find ways to move the ball. We have some great 1 on 1 players, but as a collective we need to find ways to move the ball and distribute at a higher rate. Going into this I assumed they (Tommies) would hoist up a plethora of threes and I was right, but I didn't think we would get blown by every other possession by some white kids.

The only positive I have at this point is that we have time to get better. What matters is that we are playing our best basketball in March and we have pieces to be a good team, but we've got to clean it up and find ways to be more efficient. I like what @ORUTerry said in his previous post about how fundamentally sound St. Thomas is... If we can find a way to be like that with our athleticism and quickness we can be lethal. Anyways hope everyone has a good night and stays safe out there with this cold.  

• Upvote 1

Thoughts For The Day:

• Any team that gives up 80+ points at home in regulation deserves to lose.
  • Even losing teams have leading scorers and rebounders.  No performer worth their salt should take pride in headlining the "D Stage" at Rocklahoma.
  • At some point, a continous lay-up line by the opposing team must be met with a good, hard foul.  Or five.
  • Since the knee injury, New D.J. has morphed into Old D.J.  This is not a compliment.
  • Drake Stoops was nearly as impressive as St. Thomas' point guard as he was in OU's receiving corps.
  • After almost 30 years, Frank Spencer is still a tool.  When I saw him before the opening tip, I peed my pants a little.  Could've been my prostate, but I don't think so.
  • The 40-year-old bass player bursting everyone's eardrums with his solo version of "Seven Nation Army" is an affront to all that is decent in the world.  Chris Squire is rolling over in his grave. (Google him).
  • Despite it all, my guests tonight said they still had a great time.  But then, they are very polite people.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

On offense the frontcourt never got going: St. Thomas's frontcourt had a 39-13 advantage in scoring.  Without any post production, it makes the 3 point shot difficult and basically reduces ORU to depending on McBride/Bedford driving versus bigger/stronger guys.  

The biggest disappointment was the lack of energy from ORU. They knew this was a big game and basically a battle for 1st place but where was the fire?  The coach needs to have another meeting one on one and challenge the guys again.  They had the early 10-2 lead and then just went on cruise control.

Two keys that really hurt ORU tonight: McBride picked up his 2nd foul at the 10 minute mark of the first half and we went to the small ball lineup at the end of the half.  Then St. Thomas went on an 11-2 run as they went into halftime and never looked back.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tmh8286 said:

Our section raised quite a ruckus at the official, Frank Spencer, that whistled Coach Springmann for being out on the court. Although I never saw him signal, we thought he was issuing a technical foul and we let him have it!! However, apparently it was just a warning, and all of our angst was for naught! Frank probably wondered what all the fuss was about, and kind of hid himself behind the basket stanchion while we continued to boo!! 

We may have missed the call on that one, but he deserved the treatment for about a dozen other calls he made tonight, so it wasn't wasted effort!!

We were enjoying your ridicule from across the court! 😆

• Like 1

Observations:

• The Tommies played like I thought they would: disciplined and smart. They milked the shot clock since they had the lead most of the night. Our help defense was really poor. How many wide open drives to the basket did they have?
  • The stats show that we outrebounded them 37 to 34 while the Tommies outshot us 52.6% to 45.9%; from three point (35.5% to 31.6%). They shot 19/26 (73.1%) from 2-pt. We could not get stops and did not shoot well. 
  • The officials were bad. Several egregious calls: the guy who pushed Phipps away at the end of the half to get clearance for a three point shot; McBride getting hammered under the basket twice in one possession with no call and their guy skating in the lane with no call. The Tommies were very ‘handsy’ and were able to use that to their advantage. 
  • We attempted several comebacks but committed turnovers or fouls that stymied the momentum. We also could not get consistent defensive stops. Credit the Tommies for a well played game. 
  • Like 1

I'm surprised that their three point shooting was only 35%. It seemed like every one they shot went in, especially down the stretch in the second half, and every make was a dagger to my heart!! 😕

TheEagleman not feeling any better today....credit to St. Thomas but losing at home to a Summit team that was D-III a couple years ago stings....it just can't happen....but recognize that ORU just doesn't have the horses this season....Connor and Mwamba in the line up would make a huge difference and Williams' injury stings too.....😪

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman not feeling any better today....credit to St. Thomas but losing at home to a Summit team that was D-III a couple years ago stings....it just can't happen....but recognize that ORU just doesn't have the horses this season....Connor and Mwamba in the line up would make a huge difference and Williams' injury stings too.....😪

It is a hard cold slap in the face admitting that we don’t have the horses this season but realizing this fact doesn’t set you up for unrealistic expectations. How Springman handles and adjusts for next season will be a huge factor moving forward in determining our success.  I am afraid last night’s game showed what we really got this year.

• Upvote 1

I look at the hustle stats and ORU had: 0 blocks, 1 steal, and 4 forced turnovers.  That is not going to win any games.  The Eagles versus South Dakota had: 4 blocks, 8 steals, and 18 forced turnovers.  That is winning basketball.  ORU has to win those hustle stats because they do not have the horses to out rebound teams or control the paint.

I think that as the season goes on we will say sometimes ORU looks really good and sometimes they are missing in action.  It just seems to be the pattern.  They have to play with that fire and intensity every night and not just sometimes.

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, tmh8286 said:

Regarding coach's warning for being on the court last night, it reminded me of Ron Hunter back in the day. He was about three paces onto the court ALL THE TIME during games. I don't remember him getting warned about it, but if he did I don't think it changed his behavior much.

During one of the Mid-Con Conference tournaments held at the UMAC in the early 2000s me, ORU Terry and some others were seated on the floor right along the baseline next to the IUPUI bench. Hunter, as usual, coached the game from several steps onto the court. We chattered at him endlessly to get off the court. The more we cajoled, the further out he got. A pretty humorous memory of a guy who has gone on to have a pretty good career as a head coach.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Kareem is now up to 1,000 points in his career after scoring 14 versus St. Thomas.  He joins DJ and McBride in the 1,000 point club.  Three in one year, that may not have happened in a long time.  Now let ORU get some wins as they head to the frozen tundra of North Dakota.

1 hour ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Kareem is now up to 1,000 points in his career after scoring 14 versus St. Thomas.  He joins DJ and McBride in the 1,000 point club.  Three in one year, that may not have happened in a long time.  Now let ORU get some wins as they head to the frozen tundra of North Dakota.

Stands to reason; haven't had so many guys playing five and six years before, either.

Career records in and around 2020 should include multi-spiked coronavirus asterisks. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Exactly......Thompson has been playing for what seems like a decade....heck, Old Titan and Texas Grip could score 1000 if they played for 10 yrs at ORU.......This team is mediocre at best and inconsistent.....can't see us finishing above .500 especially after two losses in the frozen tundra of North Dakota this week....this has been very disappointing....🥶

53 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Exactly......Thompson has been playing for what seems like a decade....heck, Old Titan and Texas Grip could score 1000 if they played for 10 yrs at ORU.......This team is mediocre at best and inconsistent.....can't see us finishing above .500 especially after two losses in the frozen tundra of North Dakota this week....this has been very disappointing....🥶

Sounds like you're getting yourself in the mood for the Eagles game tonight. Preemptive strike? 😆

• Haha 3