St. Thomas 1/13

Old Titan

A little bit about a lot re: a key Summit League match-up at the Mabee Center:

• First off, how is it the University of St. Thomas, located in Saint Paul?  Can we get a little consistency here with the Catholic canonization terminology?
  • Much more prefer the original name for Saint Paul, MN:  Pig's Eye (Google it).
  • Come to think of it, why is a single member of the Tommies called a "Tommie", and not a "Tommy"?  Are individual athletes from the University of Montana called a "Grizzlie"?  Or a "Huskie" from UCONN?  Blame it on Texas A&M, I suppose:  calling one of their guys an "Aggy" just doesn't look right, either.
  • Big game for both teams:  the Tommies may not lose another game at home following Thursday night's heartbreaker with SDSU, and ORU shouldn't lose too many either at the Mabee Center.  A Tommies win Saturday night would be a significant development for both sides; an ORU win (with an SDSU loss at Denver) would put the Golden Eagles in a tie for first place and would knock the Tommies down to .500 in conference play.
  • DID YOU KNOW:  St. Thomas is ineligible for an NCAA automatic bid if they win the Summit League tournament (still in their probationary transition period till 2025).  If they win it all in Sioux Falls, the Summit League REGULAR SEASON CHAMPION gets the automatic NCAA bid (not the tournament championship game loser).  And if the Tommies are also the regular season league champ, then the regular season second-place team gets to go dancing with a UST tournament championship (which has "First Four" play-in tournament in Dayton written all over it).
  • If UST wants to truly be considered a D1 program, shouldn't they have a fan forum?  None out there that I could find.  If any Tommie faithful happen upon this post, shoot me a PM and we can help you get one started.  It's pretty addictive, as many of us can attest.
  • Upvote 5

St. Thomas has been successful this season because of their defense.  They have a lot of 6'4-6'7 guys that can switch and play a lot of different positions.  SDSU figured out their defense by going inside early and scoring in the paint, then that opened it up for them to knock down some 3s.  ORU could learn from this by looking for Herron/Jones in the first half and then the shooters should get some good looks in the second half.  I would expect Coach Springmann and other coaches to be gleaning some ideas from the SDSU tape.

• Upvote 1

Looking around the summit league, I think ORU fans should be cheering on Denver today against SDSU. According to KenPom, the only two games for SDSU that are coin flip games are today at Denver and Jan 27 at ORU. 

With the scenario that OT pointed out above, there is definitely a lot of weight on winning the regular season title. Not only do the top 2 seeds get a day of rest in the conference tournament, I don’t think it would be a major surprise to see St Thomas win the tournament in Sioux Falls. Correct me if I’m wrong, but that is how Fairleigh Dickinson made their improbable run last year in March Madness. I don’t believe they were conference tournament champions. 

• Upvote 2

ORU only -2.5 tonight at home which tells you the respect that Vegas has for the Tommies....this is a HUGE game and since it's going to be very hard for the Good Guys to win up in Minnesota next month we really need to victorious at Mabee Center.....St. Thomas has played and beaten some very good teams and been competitive in all their losses.... TheEagleman has only seen them play at Marquette and came away impressed....ORU will need to bring the A game to win tonight and hopefully a nice raucous home crowd who will brave the bitter cold along with some returning students in attendance....as pointed out above the Tommies play great D and give up only 61 points per game....but the Jacks scored 81 on them two nights ago so they can be beaten....I am expecting a close hard fought battle and the visitors surely don't want to drop two in a row.....Good Guys can't fall behind by a lot and give the Tommies a lot of confidence.....expecting our leaders like McBride, Thompson and Bedford to come up big in the end.....Golden Eagles hang on late and pull it out......ORU 76  St. Thomas 72......GO BLUE!!! 

• Upvote 2

We have to cover the back cuts. The Tommies run a Princeton-like offense that is deliberate and based on lots of movement & back cuts. They are normally fundamentally sound… low turnovers, lots of assists and good shooting. 

We need to value the basketball, take good shots and grab rebounds. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Totally agree with Eagleman and Terry. I watched them play Marquette. They played a total game a d gave those Gilden Eagles all they could handle. Tonight is going to have to be the first complete game these Golden Eagles have played all year. Lets hope ORU comes out like they did against USD but keeps it up for a whole game. A win tonight can show the UMKC game was an outlier and the Summit can count on these Golden Eagles to bring it every game. ORU 69-67 over the ascending Tommies. 

Denver pounded SDSU this afternoon by 19....ORU can grab a share of the Summit League lead tonight....😍

• Upvote 2

I predict home court will be in our favor tonight and we win by 5 points 

Unbelievable that they allow so many clear drives to the basket. C'mon Eagles. You gotta close the lane. There appears to be no help defense whatsoever. So far our best defense is to foul them because they have been missing a lot. A very sad display of coaching and execution in the 1st half. 

• Upvote 1

St. Thomas finished the half on a 44-23 run after the Eagles led 10-2. Shades of the KC game where they just look lost on both sides of the ball. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

St. Thomas finished the half on a 44-23 run after the Eagles led 10-2. Shades of the KC game where they just look lost on both sides of the ball. 

Absolutely. 

Ouch....this is an embarrassment. Tommies not Notre Dame....😬

Can someone please tell me why our entire offense is just standing around and watching guys play one-on-one?

• Like 1

St. Thomas is a good team that always looks prepared.

ORU has the same problems they have shown all season.

• Like 2

For the record, the St Thomas "forum" is private for now and quite lively tonight. 

Maybe someday we'll go public but as the originator of our thing, I have no desire to moderate or deal with everything, so maybe some young guys will take the reigns on that.

McBride is a stud and we can't stop him but our shots are mostly falling 

• Upvote 2

Booooooooooo!!!!! 🤢

• Like 1