South Dakota 1/11

Old Titan

3 hours ago, Old Titan said:

I really think the Thur.-Sat. configuration for conference play hurts family attendance.

Family members who aren't big fans of attending in person aren't crazy about two games out of three nights in a row.  The true fans in the family are left with having to compromise by choosing just one of the two games, which typically ends up beng the Saturday night contest.

Editor's Note:   Like how I kept that whole diatribe gender-neutral?  Can't accuse me of blaming the moms out there for Thursday night attendance, no sir-ee!  LOL

For the ORU faithful Wednesday nights are not good either. While I'm not certain that Thursday night games are a deterrent for the majority of families, based on the logic above about the only remaining option would be Tuesday night games - we've done a few of those this season (mostly away games, I believe). That night seems to work pretty well. But we've done Thursday/Saturday games just about as long as I can remember, except for a period when the conference decided Wednesday night was the night of choice for mid-week games. Curious to know how we got back on Thursday nights agan.

18 minutes ago, tmh8286 said:

Curious to know how we got back on Thursday nights agan.

Just to save money on travel.  It cuts down on the number of hotel nights, and if you're renting a bus between two stops (like USD and SDSU), it cuts a day's cost off that expense as well.

I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of Thursday night/Sunday afternoon combos in there, but that makes traveling back home on Sunday night expensive and problematic.

The bigger schools go Tuesday/Saturday or Wednesday/Sunday in conference play, with charter flights bringing the teams back and forth in between, but that presents its own set of hurdles.

11 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

The bigger schools go Tuesday/Saturday or Wednesday/Sunday in conference play, with charter flights bringing the teams back and forth in between, but that presents its own set of hurdles.

I was just looking at OSU's upcoming schedule and noticed the Big 12 is on the Tuesday/Saturday schedule, as you were saying.