South Dakota 1/11

Old Titan

Life is hard....😛

• Haha 1

South Dakota is struggling: going 1-6 in the last 7 games (UC Irvine beat them 121-78 ouch).  Reminds me of last year when the Coyotes lost 103-53 to the Eagles in the Mabee Center.  It is a good game to rebound from after the tough loss on Saturday night.  ORU should win by double digits say 81-68.

• Like 1

USD is +9.5 and they stink....this is a game the Good Guys have to win and need to look good doing it...TheEagleman would also like to see Coach Springmann make proper use of most of his time outs. Is this too much to ask?? Probably..... ORU 81 South Dakota 72....:circle-logoi:

• Haha 1

How in the world does this clickbait site have South Dakota FOURTH in their Summit League power ranking??

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

How in the world does this clickbait site have South Dakota FOURTH in their Summit League power ranking??

The Coyotes get bonus points for having "Dakota" in their name.  And, they beat NDSU in Fargo (another "Dakota" name), so the ranking committee has to prop up USD or they would have to lower NDSU.  Just one Dakota helping another...

Seriously, the schedule for the #1 Tommies gets REALLY interesting this weekend.  Thursday night, #2 SDSU comes to St. Paul, and then UST goes on the road to play at #3 ORU on Saturday.  St. Thomas can make a huge statement in the next 72 hours and widen the gap between #1 and all of the rest - or they could find themselves down to #3 by Monday. (unless, of course, they consider changing their school name to "St. Thomas of Dakota").

• Haha 3

Schedule makers doing St. Thomas no favors this week, and the weather won't help them trying to get to Tulsa Thursday night late or Friday early.

Worst-case scenario is the league office interceding to postpone the game (or games) Saturday due to the threatening weather up and down the plains.

The Tulsa World includes "This Week in History" in its sports section. Today, it had:  

Jan. 8, 1973: David Vaughn of Oral Roberts grabs 34 rebounds in a 123-95 win over Brandeis.

He must have camped out under the basket. It would be nice to see a performance like that again. 🙂 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, titansforever said:

The Tulsa World includes "This Week in History" in its sports section. Today, it had:  

Jan. 8, 1973: David Vaughn of Oral Roberts grabs 34 rebounds in a 123-95 win over Brandeis.

He must have camped out under the basket. It would be nice to see a performance like that again. 🙂 

I can’t believe the mighty Titans of 1973 would play the Div III  powerhouse Brandeis in January. Surely the ‘70s message board hippies would be having meltdowns! The audacity to play a Non D1! 😂😂😂 

• Haha 2

Should be a double digit win tonight for our beloved Eagles. Gotta stay focused though…..just ask the top teams in the nation!

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, eagle88 said:

Should be a double digit win tonight for our beloved Eagles. Gotta stay focused though…..just ask the top teams in the nation!

I could be wrong by I think #1, #2, #3 and #5 teams in the country all lost in the last 48 hours. And some to unranked teams. Nothing like conference season!

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

I could be wrong by I think #1, #2, #3 and #5 teams in the country all lost in the last 48 hours. And some to unranked teams. Nothing like conference season!

On ESPN:

For just the fourth time in college basketball history and the first time in 20 years, the top three teams in the Associated Press poll have all lost to unranked opponents in a two-day span, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

The Jayhawks' loss Wednesday followed Purdue's 88-72 loss at Nebraska and Houston's 57-53 loss at Iowa State, both of which unfolded Tuesday. Tennessee, ranked No. 5, also lost 77-72 at Mississippi State on Wednesday.

48 minutes ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

I can’t believe the mighty Titans of 1973 would play the Div III  powerhouse Brandeis in January. Surely the ‘70s message board hippies would be having meltdowns! The audacity to play a Non D1! 😂😂😂 

So foolish and off-point on so many levels; not even worth addressing further (even jokingly).

• Haha 1

TheEagleman was sitting in row 1 at Mabee for that Brandeis game....Vaughn was 6-8 inches taller than anyone on the other team....😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

They were too worried about the End Times to concern themselves with scheduling debates 🙃

• Like 1

Dut to a variety of factors, including no conference affiliation, it was very hard for ORU to put together a full schedule back in the early 70's. 

They played whoever they could, particularly in January and February, including as many metropolitan Eastern schools as possible to build the brand (Brandeis University, for example, is located in the Boston suburbs and was a member of the vaunted ECAC back in the 70's, with coaches around that time including Boston Celtics veterans K.C. Jones and Bob Brannum).

It was nothing like the current scheduling environment, with 16-to-18 conference games guaranteed each year, and where any number of hundreds of D1 non-conference schools can be scheduled, but aren't for a variety of reasons/excuses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Old Titan said:

In a twist of unfathomable odds, each Summit game tonight has a school hosting the team that is just below it in the Summit power rankings.  And, the school in the middle of the pack, Denver, has the "nine-team conference" bye. 

While the chances of this occurring are extremely low, it is relevant to view this from a Vegas point spread angle to see how wide the "gaps" are between ranked teams.  In each case, the higher-ranked home team is favored (which would be expected), but the margins vary.

#1 UST hosting #2 SDSU - UST favored by 1.5.  A 1.5 point home spread is very low, so the Tommies haven't yet earned the respect of Vegas odd makers.  In fact, it is highly likely that SDSU would be favored against UST on a neutral court, signifying that #1 and #2 is virtually a coin flip, or even a slight advantage to SDSU.

#3 ORU at home vs. #4 USD - ORU by 10.5.  Vegas either thinks that the top three are much better than 4-9, or (like most of us on this board) that the power rankings have USD very over-rated, or both!

#6 UMKC hosting #7 NDSU - Roos by 2.5 (again, a virtual coin flip between the two teams on a neutral court).

#8 Omaha at home vs. #9 UND - Mavs by 4.5 - It's not a surprise that UND finds itself at the bottom of the barrel, but a bit of a surprise that Omaha is only regarded as 4.5 points better at home.

Any road win tonight will be a HUGE lift for the under-rated team, and a really bad loss for the home team.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

If I recall correctly* the Brandeis Judges were a founding member of NCAA DIV III. But since that wasn't established until August of that year (1973) they couldn't have been Div III when ORU defeated them in January.

*No, I don't recall correctly. I was 2 years old. But I looked it up...