Weber State at ORU

theeagleman5

Springmann using the Sutton philosophy of just not wanting to burn a precious timeout despite watching an 8 point lead disappear while he held on to it....we still had that TO when the game ended.....honestly that 4-5 minute stretch late in the first half turned the game around for Weber St. TheEagleman is pretty sure Coach regrets not calling that time out to try and blunt their momentum and will be interested to hear what he has to say....🙄

I just watched the postgame and Coach said he told the team this loss was on him.  He told Adam that he and the team are still a work in progress.  Springmann said he had in his mind to throw some different defenses at Jones and he just did not pull the trigger on those ideas.  So, he is still learning as a first year coach.

• Upvote 1

Well...good to hear that Springmann admits that he is still figuring things out....in the meantime his errors are greatly increasing TheEaglemans' Chianti consumption.....🍷🍷🍷

• Like 1

Gosh I realized I haven’t been on here a good minute… guess the holidays will do that to you. Tonight’s game was a tough loss, but that first half of the game really had me excited for the latter part of this season. If those guys can defend like that and sustain that kind of enthusiasm and effort for a full 40 minutes we can win this league. The end of the 21 consecutive home win streak, but I think we all knew it would end fairly soon, but fun while it lasted. Last thing I’ll say, but it was nice to see Springmann with some energy to him early in the first half.🤣 he was jacked lol. 

Side not, but according to the Summit League we won the summit big sky challenge according to total points scored I guess. So positive note for the league. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Old Titan said:

A couple of takeways from this Twitter post:

1. Someone needs to get the ORU Pep Band a new sticker for their drum kit.
  2. DJ Weaver appears to be participating in the ORU walk-thru (just behind Issac McBride's shoulder on the baseline).

Here’s a question for you! You may know or I’m sure some of the longer members here could have some knowledge to this, but I heard the “Eli Logo” was designed by someone who used to work/draw/create for Disney? Just a rumor I heard. Not sure if there’s any validity to it, but thought it was interesting. 

With 6 NBA scouts at the Mabee Center last night, one of them being the Thunder you knew we would be in for a tough night. As good as Dillon Jones was he had a supporting cast that was pretty darn good. We played a really good game overall but in my opinion we got beat by a better team. We still have a lot of inexperience with our bigs while Weber State seemed to be a very experienced team that makes you pay for your mistakes. The game had a feeling of a summit league tournament final game. We still have half of our season remaining and if we continue to improve we could be a tough out in the summit league tournament. Hopefully we rebound and take care of business against St Thomas and U of South Dakota at home.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

At some point in the post-game show Adam used the term "elite." I wasn't listening closely enough to pick up his precise meaning, but I interpreted it to mean that Weber State was a quality opponent with numerous weapons, and that the game was played at a pretty high level.

I felt like that was true (whether or not I interpreted him correctly). Jones for Weber State was an amazing player - he had size and skill. It's no wonder scouts were there to check him out. But McBride dazzled last night as well, and was high scorer of the game, no doubt in part because we lacked the shear number of offensive weapons that Weber State had. Their fire power kept our defense on it's toes, but Jones did truly shoulder the load in the second half.  Kareem, who guarded him most of the night, had his hands full.

There's no reason to hang our heads over that loss. That was a quality opponent. But I'm still waiting for us to win one we shouldn't . . .

• Upvote 2

Weber State should win their conference and go to the Big Dance but then anything can happen in a conference tournament.  ORU has now finished a tough non conference at 6-7.  They played four Power 5 schools and some other good mid majors (Weber St., Tulsa, and Missouri State), so the Eagles are battle tested as we head into the thick of the conference schedule.   That should help them especially in road games.

• Upvote 2

Solid offensive game vs a good defensive team in Weber State. According to Kenpom it was our highest offensive efficiency in D1 game. 

1.16 Pt/Poss vs Weber State
1.15 Pt/Poss @ Texas Tech
1.14 Pt/Poss vs Tulsa

It was also the highest Pt/Poss that Weber State has allowed all season. 

Have a lot to clean up defensively. Did a good job on the boards which has been a steady improvement. Have to keep getting better each game and be our best in Sioux Falls!

• Upvote 1

Honestly this is the first FULL game that TheEagleman has watched this season and i was favorably impressed by some of the new faces....Smith....Jones.....Bedford all show promise....even the new kid from Rutgers didn't look too bad....Phipps seemed improved and of course McBride was clearly our best player.....agree we need to limit his minutes to 35 or less or the guy will be toast by February....Thompson is still a solid contributor....but was disappointed in our D for most of the game....rebounding still a big problem....hoping we can straighten some of this out with so many home games this month.....GO BLUE!!! :tb-blue:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1