Weber State at ORU

theeagleman5

10-4 Wee-burr State coming in after edging the Jacks of SDSU last night at home....as pointed out several times on the board this could very well be the most attractive game played at Mabee Center in several years....too bad most of the students are not likely back from the holiday break but still hoping that there will be a nice home crowd with the blue seats full of excited fans.....the Wildcats are one of the best mid majors around and ORU does NOT have a very good history with these guys having lost all four previous matchups....3 of those 4 games played in Ogden, Utah and just one game at Mabee...it's time to beat these dudes.....but the Good Guys will have to play their best game of the season.....GO BLUE!!!! :circle-logoi:

Completely agree Eagleman, hopefully the "pack the Mabee" promotional being run will reap dividends in a nice crowd for the game.  Also, for those of us who are not able to attend due to living in other parts of the nation and literally the world, this game will be the featured game on CBS Sports Saturday night.  Play tough Good Guys and Go Golden Eagles!

Weber State has an all american in Jones and key experienced pieces around him but the area that stands out about them the most is their defense.  They have good size at the guards and length on the frontcourt and hold opponents to about 61 points per game, which is winning basketball.  How does ORU and McBride attack this because often the Eagles struggle with these types of teams.   Coach Springmann will have to dial up a strong game plan to overcome this tough defense.   Hitting some 3s and getting out on the fastbreak sure would help.

3 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Coach Springmann will have to dial up a strong game plan to overcome this tough defense.   Hitting some 3s and getting out on the fastbreak sure would help.

I was a little surprised last night when Adam mentioned our tempo/possessions per game in relation to other teams - I don't remember the exact number he gave, which I think was from KenPom, but I think it was about in the middle of the pack. Today I found us ranked 175 on the Team Rankings website, with 71.7 ppg. However, over the past three games we've averaged 76.8 ppg, which would place us at about 40th in tempo. So I guess we're not playing at as high a tempo as we did last year, but it seems to be increasing as the season progresses. It all depends on the athletes you have - and how you want to play the game.

(A little further checking showed our possessions per game for the season last year was 72.0 - very slightly above what our pace for this season is. I guess we weren't as up-tempo last year as I thought we were.)

Weber State has not played the toughest schedule: no Power 5 teams and just 2-2 in true road games.  They faced a couple of good teams in Nevada and St. Mary's but the rest are not overwhelming.  All that being said the question is are they road tested?  They are very tough at home like most good teams but could be beaten on the road.  I would much rather face them in the Mabee Center then on the road.

They led SDSU by 13 with about 5 minutes to go and then the Jackrabbits came back and tied the score at 73.  Then Jones hit the game winner with about a second to go.  He is really good in the midrange game and posting up smaller players.  Kareem will need to play lights out to keep him at bay.  If ORU can hold Jones to about 13-15 points then I think they have a good chance to win tomorrow night.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Very cool to see ORU listed among these nationally-televised match-ups today.

Hardly any mid-majors (not to mention low majors) included on this very busy Saturday of conference action across the land:

• Like 2

It's been awfully quiet on the message board as ORU heads into a nationally televised game defending its home court and the nation's longest active home winning streak.  Weber State is currently listed as a 3.5 point road favorite, with an over/under of 143.5 (predicting a final of 73.5-70).

On paper, Weber State appears to be the kind of team that ORU matches up well against.  They're an average rebounding team that doesn't take advantage of offensive boards (ranking #263 nationally in second-chance conversion percentage).  Their offense is based more from the perimeter than from inside the paint (41.5% of shots are taken from beyond the arc), and they rely significantly on the talents of one player (Dillon Jones 18.8ppg/10.2rpg). They take care of the ball very well (less than 10 turnovers per game), and will try to slow the game down (pace of play ranks #328 nationally).  Defensively, they rank 295th in the country in defensive field goal percentage, so ORU should have plenty of opportunities to score.

One of the more interesting trends for ORU this season has been the evolution of their shot selection.  For the season, 41.8% of ORU's shot attempts have come from three-point range (very similar to Weber State's 41.5%).  However, ORU's shot selection has changed dramatically in recent weeks.  Over the course of the first seven games against D1 competition, ORU took 47.4% of its shots from long-range.  In four of those seven games, more than half of ORU's shots were from three, including an eye-popping 58.1% against Texas Tech (as a quick rabbit trail, this also helps answer the question why ORU was able to play K-State and Texas Tech close to the final possession, as the Eagles made 47.6% of the 3 point FG attempts against K-State and 44.4% in Lubbock).

In the most recent four D1 games, ORU has only attempted 26% of its shots from outside the arc - a HUGE difference in their approach from the previous 47.4%.  Is this due to a change in the level of competition, allowing more opportunities in the paint?  Is it that Ashton Smith is now eligible and has played in the last four D1 games?  Is it the growth in maturity of Sir Issac Herron and Josh Jones?  Is it due to the injury of three-point sharp-shooter DeShang Weaver, who has missed the last three games?  Is it an intentional change in game management?  I'm guessing that the answer is YES, YES, YES. YES, YES... and there are likely other factors as well.   Whatever the reasons, it appears to be working, as the shooting percentage has improved as the number of shots have declined.  In the last four D1 games, ORU's 3pt shooting percentage has been 44.3%, compared with 36.9% in all other games.

It will be very interesting to see if this trend holds true tonight and as the season progresses. If it continues, the "live by the three, die by the three" mantra may not apply to this team any longer.👍

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Great post, but you left out an additional reason “why”:  they’ve been running offensive sets these past few games that feed the post and feature cuts to the basket, instead of that dreaded “weave” iso offense out top.

All of these factors have led to more opportunities at the rim, which is a beautiful thing.👍

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

The change in our shot selection is apparently a distinct effort to feed the post and get shots near the basket. We are running pick & roll plays for our big guys and making the passes. Earlier in the season our big guys (Herron and Jones) would set a pick at the top of the key and roll off unopposed - but never get a pass. That has changed. If teams don’t/can’t defend it, keep using that play. 

Weber evidently plays a deliberate style that focuses on their workhorse (Jones) - although they have a couple of other guys that can shoot/score. The also have a 6’11” player that could give us problems. We will need to play smart and shoot well to win this game. 

• Like 1

CBS Sports Network is not currently part of my Cox Cable subscription. I will be at the game, but want to see the replay tomorrow. Is there any way I can get the replay without subscribing to CBSSN?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dave Connor said:

CBS Sports Network is not currently part of my Cox Cable subscription. I will be at the game, but want to see the replay tomorrow. Is there any way I can get the replay without subscribing to CBSSN?

… similar question. Asking for a friend since we will be at the game, too. But how do they watch live?  Available on Midco Sports app as usual?

Weber State now just a 2.5 pt favorite at Mabee Center tonight....the O/U is a lusty 145.5 which seems kind of high since the Wildcats only give up 60 points per game.... but TheEagleman thinks the Good Guys will score a few more than that on the home floor.....gonna be a really tough game vs. a top notch mid major.....Mabee center will be rocking and hopefully guys like Grip, OKCEagle, Terry, Bogus and OT will be hoarse by the end....heck we could even have overtime tonight.....I think it will be that close.....have to say that TheEagleman still has no feel for this team even after 14 games and I have been wrong on most of my predictions....ORU has never beaten Weber State but the Good Guys have a 21 game home winning streak.....one of those is going to end tonight.....so I will have to take the visitors in a contest that goes down to the final moments.....Weber State 73  ORU 71......praying I am incorrect again.....🙏:tb-white:🙏

@ttowncount, your friend can watch the game live on CBS Sports Network on the following cable systems in Tulsa:

• Cox Ultimate package:  Channel 318
  • AT&T U-Verse Expanded package:  HD Channel 1643
  • Direct TV:  Channel 221
  • Dish Network:  Channel 158
  • or they can stream it on the CBS Sports app IF they have CBS Sports Network via one of those cable packages.

Fairly certain the game is not available during or after on the Summit League (Midco Sports Plus) network; pretty sure it will only be available for replay via the CBS Sports app.

I'm guessing the Summit League Assistant Commissioner is making the trip to Tulsa for tonight's game so that the trophy can get some national airtime on the CBS Sports Network broadcast?

Also guessing this is the first "third-party" national broadcast of an ORU men's game from the Mabee Center since either a BracketBuster game or an NIT first-rounder on one of the ESPN family of channels?

Tonight begins a long homestand for ORU over the next month: 6 out of 8 in the Mabee Center.  It would be a good time to get on a roll!

On a side note: ESPN has Weber State listed as a 13th seed in their latest NCAA tournament bracketology.  This would be the biggest win of Coach Springmann's career. 

2 hours ago, Old Titan said:

@ttowncount, your friend can watch the game live on CBS Sports Network on the following cable systems in Tulsa:

• or they can stream it on the CBS Sports app IF they have CBS Sports Network via one of those cable packages.

Fairly certain the game is not available during or after on the Summit League (Midco Sports Plus) network; pretty sure it will only be available for replay via the CBS Sports app.

Cox had a promotional, so I added its Sports & Info Pack to my TV account for $5 a month with the option to cancel at any time. A $ here a $ there... All for the love of ORU basketball. I'm also a big tennis fan, and the Tennis Channel was included among a long list of sports channels, so I might end up keeping it until the price goes up.

• Upvote 1

A couple of takeways from this Twitter post:

1. Someone needs to get the ORU Pep Band a new sticker for their drum kit.
  2. DJ Weaver appears to be participating in the ORU walk-thru (just behind Issac McBride's shoulder on the baseline).

3 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Thank you for the thorough answer, OT!  I have been able to find it on the CBS Sports app on my Roku and will assist her in installing it on her Roku. Thanks again!!