St. Gregory's

ORU Eli

I agree that Chello has looked disoriented at times this year but has also shown more greatness than Yemi. I would argue that Yemi does not have that much experience on Chello. Obviously Chello is a freshman adapting to a new system and Yemi understands the system better. His game experience does not outmatch Chello's that much though. I don't think experience is that huge of a factor. I'm also not sure that he poses "limited liability" either. The guy misses clutch free throws down the stretch in our home opener and does not perform in a huge game against Marquette. To me this is a HUGE liability. We could be 5-0 right now with some quality wins under our belt. Calling him a "limited liability" does not sit well with me.

I do not rest the blame entirely on Yemi's shoulders for the Utah State game. That seems to be an easy illustration of my point, which is why I use it. We did not play well that game and Yemi's performance is not at all to blame. He does need to step up offensively -- when was the last time he backed someone down on the block? A four man has to do that. Yemi also plays in a lot of pain so don't think I am totally hating on him. Hopefully he is a guy who is going to play some quality minutes. He seems to be a really quality individual and I hope that he continues to improve.

Guest EagleBackr

Marchello looked a lot more comfortable with the "second unit", playing down on the block, than he did playing with the other starters, when he was playing a little out of position. Plus, let's be frank - this was St. Gregory's. At one point, Chello was the tallest player on the floor - no wonder he looked so comfortable in the post. I think it also explains why Andrew looked a little more comfortable - they were more his speed, figuratively and literally.

By the way, since we are only suiting up 10 players this year and every one of them is a scholarship player, it presents an embarrassment of riches during blowouts: our "weakest" possible line-up to put out there includes 3 tested seniors and a budding freshman superstar. Don't be surprised this year if, when Coach Sutton takes the starters out with a 20-point lead in the second half, that lead jumps to 30 points - or more. Makes "garbage time" a lot more enjoyable! We might beat someone by 40 or 50 this year, but it won't be because we didn't clear the bench...

http://www.orugoldeneagles.com/doc_lib/ ... 0Score.pdf

After looking over the game stats I have to say I am even more impressed with Chello & Rouise than before. When you look at their shooting percentages, points, minutes & defensive plays, they are both all around players. Foulkes & Yemi had good games & Drew adds a passion.

Maybe one of our statisticians could break the stats per player into a minute average & see who performed the best?

Maybe one of our statisticians could break the stats per player into a minute average & see who performed the best?

I'm a sucker for child psychology, mom. If you'd said, "Could one of you guys do this" I probably wouldn't have. But throw that "statisticians" word in there and I can't resist!

The list goes: player, total points, minutes, TP/M, and Offensive production. I made up the last number by multiplying TP/M by 100, then I gave it a name. I did that because Ken Pomeroy does that kind of thing. He says he hates small numbers.

Player TP M TP/M Off. Prod.

------------------------------------------------------------

Owens 8 22 .3636 36.36

Green 23 18 1.2778 127.78

Michalec 11 13 .8462 84.62

Tutt 15 28 .5357 53.57

Bluitt 6 25 .2400 24.00

Riouse 10 17 .5882 58.82

Vealy 11 25 .4400 44.00

Fowlkes 4 15 .2667 26.67

Meloy 2 9 0 0

Ogunye 2 19 .1053 10.53

Looking at it this way, players would be ranked, according to "Offensive Production" as follows:

Green

Michalec

Riouse(!!!)

Tutt

Vealy

Owens

Fowlkes

Bluitt

Ogunye

Maloy

Wow, TmH! You are a statistician at your core.

Chris Rouise!!! Looks like we need to get him more minutes when Owens sits. He's a stud on defense and our 3rd best offensive weapon for the amount of time he spends on the floor!

For the SEASON, the ranking would be:

Green (30 )

Tutt (48 )

Michalec (38 )

Fowlkes (36 )

Vealy (33 )

Riouse (32 )

Owens (30 )

Bluitt (18 )

Ogunye (12 )

Maloy (7 )

Obviously, scoring per minute represents only a small part of what these guys do on the court, and not too much importance should be put on these numbers. But they ARE fun to look at.

Correct me if you think otherwise, but where does Andrew Meloy truly fit into this team right now? Apart from some rebounds, he really hasn't done much, nor has he provide much of a "spark" similar to what we saw at the end of last year. Not even sure if his "experience" is showing through much. Any thoughts? What is his role and is he filling it? or is he taking up minutes from someone else who should be playing more (Vealy, Riouse, Yemi, etc.)? I'll take my anwer off the air...

That's funny! A numeral 8 followed by a right parenthesis [)] is translated by the program into a smiley! I had to use the HTML "pre" tag to show the numbers.

I think it's a little early to tell about Drew. He has got some pretty big time teammates to match up with. I wouldn't write him off yet.

TMH,

Thank you for the report. Excellent job. It did influence how I voted on the poll.

I would agree it looks like Riouse should be getting more time.

If our resident statistician could think of a way to reflect rebounds, turnovers & steels, our picture would be even better.

If our resident statistician could think of a way to reflect rebounds, turnovers & steels, our picture would be even better.

Okay, mom, you're getting out of my league here. I assume I'm not the "resident statistician" you're referring to, but let me direct your attention to a couple of other places you can find more of this stuff:

http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog ... ual_stats/

http://www.basketballonpaper.com/

I have the book, "Basketball On Paper", and I'm slowly making my way through it. The book's author, Dean Oliver, rather thoroughly goes over about eight or ten different systems for rating players that incorporate all of those factors, as well as some others, and gives each a relative weight based on how important the author of each system feels they are to the game. Of course, Oliver has his own system which he feels is better, and after reading through his reasoning, I'd have to agree.

On the Ken Pomeroy page "Individual Stats Primer" Ken talks about Oliver's system, which he calls Offensive Rating:

"Offensive rating (ORtg): A measure of personal offensive efficiency developed by Dean Oliver. The formula is very complicated, but accurate. For a detailed explanation, buy Basketball on Paper. Anything over 110 is good, and 120 is excellent for a player that is the workhorse on his team. The best I saw from last season was Utah State?s Spencer Nelson at 133."

I haven't gotten a handle on the whole thing yet, but when I do I'll probably try to post a bit more about it. So I emailed Ken Pomeroy and asked him where Caleb Green would score in this system. This was before the season started, and based on Caleb's stats from last season Caleb received an offensive rating of 112. Ken said that Caleb's turnover ratio killed him. He also said he had great free throw and rebounding stats. I posted all of this about Caleb before, but I thought it might be of interest again in this context.

I believe that Ken Pomeroy is working on adding individual stats to his web site, and I THINK he's planning on having the individual stats, including the Offensive Rating, and other statisitcal ratings, up on his site in January.

TMH, I think of you & Bogus as our resident statisticians.

Caleb being a 112 before this season started sounds impressive, since his play has improved. Hopefully you will be able to provide us with some updates.