St. Gregory's

ORU Eli

This is no great revelation, but I will actually be very surprised if the guys don't come out to play tonight and start off a little flat. St. Gregs shouldn't pose much of a problem but I predict we'll come away tonight saying the team didn't shoot as well as they should have. I'm sure its been a tiring week for them.

On a random sidenote, I was boarding my plane last night to fly home to Chicago from Tulsa. I happened to see Eric Fowlkes get off of his plane and head to baggage claim. I actually was going to say "Hi" and give him some support but had to get on the plane. He looked exceptionally tired/stressed/down. You might say a prayer for him and his family if you haven't already.

Totally disagree, Eli. They will come out slugging tonight! Read the TW article on our sub-par shooting in games so far and how Sutton said the team is responding. They probably will be a lil tired and stressed after a tough loss out in Alaska, but they wil get up for this game. part of me wishes we could just have TU next so we could take out all our frustration on them instead of St. Gregs.

Guest EagleBackr

I predict these next three home games, especially tonight and Saturday vs. Tulsa, will be Marchello Vealy's "coming out" party. Call it a "Vealy UnVeiling" (ouch - that's a Vealy bad pun).

I predict these next three home games, especially tonight and Saurday vs. Tulsa, will be Marchello Vealy's "coming out" party. Call it a "Vealy UnVeiling" (ouch - that's a Vealy bad pun).

I hope you're right, Bkr. He showed so much promise in our early games, but hasn't gotten on the floor much since.

I know I said earlier that I'd be disappointed if they didn't win by 30+, but I think I'm gonna trim that down to 15.

The team is definitely a bit tired after the Alaska tourney (the time change and long flights between Tulsa, SLC, and Anchorage). I doubt they all feel like playing tonight, but hey, it's St. Greg's we're talking about.

Never underestimate the adrenelin rush a rivalry game will give you.

I expect your guys to be more than ready to take on TU. Should be an Excellent game. And I'll take a 15 point game any day over what we got last year. :wink:

Never underestimate the adrenelin rush a rivalry game will give you.

I expect your guys to be more than ready to take on TU. Should be an Excellent game. And I'll take a 15 point game any day over what we got last year. :wink:

Actually I was referring to tonight's St. Gregory's game.

So many predictions that were pretty close:

It did appear to be Chello's unveiling

We did win by over 30

Our bench played like the starters they should all be. Yemi, Chello & Eric were downright awsome!!

The team needs to keep that second half ATTITUDE!!!

So...anybody notice that St. Gregory scored more points on us than USC? I hope the Trojans do well this year for our RPI's sake but I'll be stunned if another Pac-10 team finds a way to actually finish below them this year.

Congrats on the win. I was listening and was glad to see them "take flight" in the second half. I halfway expected to see the headline "Eagles Soar in Second half to Victory over St. Greg" :D

I arrived to the game late in the first half last night, and two different people I talked to described the Eagles play to that point as "uninspired." I'd sure like to know what they said in the locker room, because they came out in the second half with fire in their eye.

Inside defense was soft last night. Could that be a result of Caleb sitting out most of two games last weekend due to foul trouble?

I usually am one of the ones who hates the fact that we play against a team like St. Gregory's every year but I think this year is an exception. After having a few games to assess our strengths and weaknesses, last night provided the opportunity to play with our lineup and work with different combinations of players. I thought that was good. The other really positive thing that came out of last night's game was in the second half. You all know how we usually get very sloppy after getting up on a team in the first half. The fact that we came out a little sloppy and had to react and really play in sync was great. My boys Chello and C. Riouse were outstanding. Chris has a great ability to take pressure off Ken and Chello's game was on.

ORUMom, I have to disagree with you on a point though. When a player (Yemi) takes a 16 foot jumper and draws nothing but backboard, he has not played awesome. Yemi looked better on defense and grabbed a few more boards but offensively he is not there. Chello proved that he should be the first option to come in at the four.

It's tough to say great win against St. Gregory's but the way we did it was great. Now let's go embarrass TU.

I think we play St. Gregs as a favor to their coach (an former player and alum). No harm in that.

I agree Chello was sensational to watch last night. As much as I would like to see him play more, I think Yemi should come off the bench before him. Chello's offensive prowess is far more advanced than Yemi's, but Chello still plays like a freshman (offensively and defensively inconsistent). Yemi can be an offensive liability at times, but when he subs for Larry we still have the offensive force of Caleb and Ken. Yemi's long arms have done a lot of good for us on defense, and he provides that athleticism that we need to get steals.

I have to say though, I love to see Chello block those shots. He has a nack for being there at the right time to swat it away.

You are telling me that Yemi doesn't look tentative when he plays? I'll give you the long arms but he is not a stopper on defense and he is killing us on offense (see ORU vs. Marquette/Utah State). Half the time he looks lost while he bounces around trying to find his man. Sorry to be so down on him but he really lost me on those missed free throws against Utah State. Chello's defensive prowess is equal to or better than Yemi's. When you said that we still have the offensive force of Caleb and Ken, it seemed to echo what we say far too often. We cannot rely on those guys to carry us this year. They are unbelievable players and they will carry us this year in a lot of games. But, if we keep saying that Caleb and Ken will carry us then we are going to be in trouble. We have to continue to develop players like Chello and let him build confidence in the early stages of the game. Yemi shows no promise offensively and equal if not lesser promise than Chello defensively. Yemi is one of those guys to guard the out of bounds pass in key defensive situations or maybe if we decide to press. He is not the guy that is going to give us a spark off the bench in the early stages of the game. We can't wait around for two guys to carry us -- someone has to take the pressure off.

What you've said may be true but the weight of the USU loss shouldn't be placed on Yemi's shoulders alone. He'll be here for a few more years and he needs to get playing time to improve as well. I do agree about Veally needing to get in the game more though.

My statement about Caleb and Ken carrying us was only meant for when they are both in the game and we sub Yemi for Larry. We don't desperately need offense in those situations.

Totally agree with your assessment on Yemi. I was never really high on him either. But did you see Marchello when he first got in the game? It looked like he didn't know the plays or just didn't know how to flow well with the motion offense. He was running around, occupying the same space as other teamates and appeared to be overall lossed while on the floor.

I would like to see Chello get more minutes so he can develop, but the fact is that Yemi has the experience, and even though his stability is not very potent in many scenarios (offense especially), the coaches are comfortable with the limited liability that he poses right now. I'm not sure how much longer it will last, but that is how it is for now.