BYU Game Thread

vcboy2000

I don't think it's fair to ask Shawn King to be Caleb Green offensively, but we shouldn't feel it that much on the boards when Caleb is out of the game.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vcboy2000

• Texasgrip

• tmh8286

• ORUIsbig

Top Posters In This Topic

The double and triple teams on Caleb are relentless and occur every game, every time he touches the ball. 

As a result, he is routinely fouled hard all game long.  And if the refs don't call those fouls early, then it becomes a football game down low and Caleb gets mauled. 

So, it is my opinion that we should have more FT than the other team almost every game if the refs call it fair.  The TU game was a perfect example.  So, you can't just look at the box score, see that the fouls are fairly even between both teams, and assume that the game was called evenly.

When we commit stupid fouls, I'm the first to admit it.  But I know the difference between a well officiated game, and a poorly officiated game.  Of course, we have to rely on the radio call, since this game isn't on TV.

I do wish that we had given Spicer more playing time in our early non-conference games, because he might have been able to make a significant contribution when we needed another post presence.

It would have made a big difference to have Ehambe as well.  What quirky timing to get food poisoning at the start of a 3-day tournament.

We need to get focused, push through the fatigue, make more FT, and take it to Liberty tomorrow night!

Can I please continue to complain about officiating?  I started it 30 years ago in under 8 soccer, reached it's height while I was at ORU in intramurals (usually against my friends who reffed games...although for those hour-long games, they certainly weren't friends), and continues even now.  I'm teaching my children the age-old tradition as well.

Seriously, I realize officiating is RARELY the legitimate blame for a loss (one recent exception being the OU-Oregon game), but it's really fun.  Hey, believe me, when I played bass guitar for the ORU Basketball, I got more than one reprimand for playing Three Blind Mice!!!

Guest Blevins

If you think it sounded bad, you should have seen it. Better yet, you should watch the game film. Even worse.

Arkansas was three inept refs who got personal late in the game. Last night was three guys who want to make sure they get invited back next year.

I'd have to say, in just listening to the last two games, the officials were in complete control of the outcome of both games.  I won't say Seton Hall didn't deserve all of the foul calls they were given, but it seems a little unlikely that there wasn't some one-sidedness in that game.  We were on the positive end of the officials' control.  Would that have been different had Bobby Gonzalez been a little less combative with the officials during the game?  It's really hard to say, but I suspect that it would have.

Last night we got the short end of the stick from the officials.  We still have a good chance to come out of the tournament with two wins, which is better than I might have thought going in.

Go Eagles!

If you think it sounded bad, you should have seen it. Better yet, you should watch the game film. Even worse.

Arkansas was three inept refs who got personal late in the game. Last night was three guys who want to make sure they get invited back next year.

Does it really surprise us though?  I knew how it was going to go for us at BYU.  It's the same thing in all these tournaments/classics.  The host team is going to win these things.  Do you really think Hawaii has been the best team in the Rainbow Classic for the past eight years?  They won like eight or so of those things in a row.  I hate to complain about officiating, but my argument has little to do with our game last night.  It has a lot to do with these holiday events.  The host team always gets the benefit of suspect officiating.  ORU could have done some things better last night like rebound and make free throws.  It's not always size that gets rebounds, but usually the best technique and effort will get them.  Ken Tutt's man usually gets a career high in offensive rebounds.  That guy will never block out.  I'd rather have him than not have him though.