No Rest for the Weary?

Old Titan

According to KenPom, ORU's Kareem Thompson currently ranks 2nd nationally in "Percentage of Minutes Played" for the young season at 98.8%.

He trails only (wait for it....) ORU's Issac Mcbride, No. 1 nationally at 99.4%!

For perspective, there are only NINE players nationally who even rank above 95% (two of them happen to play for South Dakota State:  Zeke Mayo and Charlie Easley).

Truth be told, I can't even recall Issac and Kareem ever being out of a game this season, but apparently they were at some point, for a quick drink of Gatorade or something...  #smh

Screen Shot 2023-11-22 at 1.48.17 PM.png

• Upvote 1

It just shows how vital McBride and Thompson are to ORU.   The Eagles just do not have the depth to rest these guys, unless they get a big lead or are blown out.  When Williams comes back he should be able to give Thompson a break because they both play the forward spot.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

It just shows how vital McBride and Thompson are to ORU.   The Eagles just do not have the depth to rest these guys, unless they get a big lead or are blown out.  When Williams comes back he should be able to give Thompson a break because they both play the forward spot.

I'm afraid it tells me something completely different. 

• Upvote 2

It reminds me a little bit of John Wooden’s philosophy. According to his book, he didn’t think his best players should need subs. He expected them to be in good enough shape to play the whole game when needed. Of course, the modern game is probably a faster pace, so subs are more important. 

On that note, it seems that ORU’s pace is a little slower this season. I could be completely wrong about that though. If we are playing slower, I wonder if it’s intentional? 

Probably not sustainable over the course of the season.

Other guys are going to have to step up quick.

• Upvote 1

Wonder where Connor Vanover ranks on that list?.....the lad should have remained at 7777 So. Lewis.....😎

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Idig32 said:

On that note, it seems that ORU’s pace is a little slower this season. I could be completely wrong about that though. If we are playing slower, I wonder if it’s intentional? 

Your are correct, Idig32.  According to haslametrics, ORU ranks 84th in the country (top quartile) in pace this season, slightly slower when compared to 75th last season.  And, even though 84th is still a brisk pace, it is the SLOWEST pace for ORU since 2018-19 (when ORU's pace was 195th nationally).  I don't think it is coincidental that 2018-19 was the last season before Max arrived on the scene.

• 2 weeks later...

So riddle me this:  how minutes do Issac and Kareem play on Saturday vs. Ozark Mountain Christian Daredevils?  #OohOohMackeeBlue

• Like 1

A lot less than they have been playing…..

Ozark Christian lost to SW Baptist on Dec 5 (Tuesday)  80 to 39. Their schedule shows  that play games on Thursday and Friday at home and then travel tomorrow to play ORU. Brutal scheduling 

• Upvote 1

Kareem could play for only 26 minutes and still lead the nation in minutes played per game.  While I hope that he will play less than that on Saturday, I’ll be surprised if he and Issac play less than 30 minutes, especially after a week off with no games.  #Ironmen

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ORUTerry said:

A lot less than they have been playing…..

Ozark Christian lost to SW Baptist on Dec 5 (Tuesday)  80 to 39. Their schedule shows  that play games on Thursday and Friday at home and then travel tomorrow to play ORU. Brutal scheduling 

In light of a 80-39 beat down i would propose play starters until we are ahead by 20-25 and then play all other players including walk ons the rest of the game. Definitely give Demari a ton of minutes to get him ready for next week.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Kareem could play for only 26 minutes and still lead the nation in minutes played per game.  While I hope that he will play less than that on Saturday, I’ll be surprised if he and Issac play less than 30 minutes, especially after a week off with no games.  #Ironmen

It was against Ozark Christian last year that Trey Phipps played 27 minutes and went off for 31 points. Maybe he'll see extra PT again in the rematch.

• Like 1

"When you're a whole man, you can play the whole game." 🙂 

Maybe we'll see a completely different starting lineup on Saturday. Cam, Trey, Sir Issac, Elijah, Ashton? Stranger things have been known to happen...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, titansforever said:

"When you're a whole man, you can play the whole game." 🙂 

Maybe we'll see a completely different starting lineup on Saturday. Cam, Trey, Sir Issac, Elijah, Ashton? Stranger things have been known to happen...

I don't believe Ashton is eligible, but the others should see a significant amount of time on the floor.

Last year, Max did not play against Ozark Christian. I hope that at least Issac McBride get's to watch the whole game from the bench.

I'm just bummed that NO ONE got my "Ozark Christian/Ozark Mountain Daredevils" mash-up that was frankly the ONLY reason I posted about this dog of a game in the first place.

Come to think of it, their one hit "Jackie Blue" WAS almost fifty years ago - geez, I'm gettin' old...  👴

• Upvote 1

On 12/8/2023 at 8:26 AM, TrueBlue82 said:

After looking at last year's box score, I'm now expecting both Kareem and Issac to start, but neither should play more than 20 minutes.