Summit League Basketball Media Day - live broadcast 9/10/23

Old Titan

• Old Titan changed the title to Summit League Basketball Media Day - live broadcast 9/10/23

Just turned on the video and the Mormon guy from Denver is talking about sharing the gospel in China.  Not what you would expect from the Summit League Media Days!  Something different on a Tuesday morning.  Thanks for posting Old Titan.

13 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Just turned on the video and the Mormon guy from Denver is talking about sharing the gospel in China.  Not what you would expect from the Summit League Media Days!  Something different on a Tuesday morning.  Thanks for posting Old Titan.

Who's going to tell him that his gospel doesn't get him a relationship with the real King of Kings?? 🤔

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

McBride has a strong faith, so maybe he can reach this Mormon guy at media days.

Coach Springmann summed up ORU's upcoming season: there will be some highs and lows but the goal is to play your best basketball in the final three games at the Summit League Tournament.  The Eagles will be a work in progress but hopefully by Feb/March the group will come together and make another run.

30 minutes ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

Isaac had a great interview with Jeff Goodman. If that gets posted I think it would be well worth the watch!

Good call.  Isaac is very mature and he learns a lot from former guys: Max, Dre Burns, etc.  Whenever he finishes up his pro career, ORU should hire him to broadcast the basketball games.  He was going after Goodman's assistant's job in the interview!  Goodman just about offered him the job.

• Like 1

This was a really well done media day event for the Summit League.  Jeff Goodman and his staff made it feel like a big time event.  I like how he said, we always hear a lot about the big schools (Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, etc) but it was time to shine the light on the mid majors.  Hope they repeat this event next year.

I knew very little about the other team's coaches and players, so it was interesting to hear their stories.  Some have built through the portal (Denver and South Dakota), others through the juco level or with freshman (Omaha and North Dakota State) and others in a mixture of ways (South Dakota State and Kansas City).  

It was also eye opening to see how teams in the Dakotas are the big fish in the small pond in their communities.  In places like Brookings, SD the Jackrabbits are the only game in town.  Which means they get huge support and resources from their city.   Then you have teams like Kansas City and Denver, where there are so many other big name sporting teams and they are just a small fish in a big pond.  These are just a few of the interesting dynamics throughout the Summit League.

• Like 3

Very impressed with the interviews of both Coach Springmann and Issac McBride, from not only a pure basketball perspective but through their setting a wonderful example as men of character and faith.  This is what ORU Athletics is ALL about.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Kareem has been great for three years and should be a 2nd team all Summit player.  The only question for him in 23-24 is: can he be a consistent scorer (13-15 points per night), because ORU lost 50 points from last year's team.  The Eagles have not needed him to be a big time scorer in the past but they will this year.

With guys like McBride and Kareem....TheEagleman finds it hard to believe that this 2023-24 ORU team will fail to win.....this is what leadership in the locker room is all about....and Springmann is a breath of fresh air.....this could be a lot of fun.....less than a month now till opening night....bring it on!! :tb-white:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Kareem has been great for three years and should be a 2nd team all Summit player.  The only question for him in 23-24 is: can he be a consistent scorer (13-15 points per night), because ORU lost 50 points from last year's team.  The Eagles have not needed him to be a big time scorer in the past but they will this year.

He can if the big men we have can be a presence inside. That will take some of the defensive attention off him and allow him to crash the boards and be the disruption he is capable of.

88...maybe TheEagleman is old or just crazy but I get chills when i hear stuff like that....this is what ORU is all about......I gotta bring my grandson down for a visit....he needs to experience 7777 So. Lewis.....:tb-blue:

• Upvote 4

Eagleman when you and your grandson come down let’s get together for a meal! I’m certain many others on the board will want to do the same!

• Like 4

Did anyone notice a couple of Summit League coaches saying now that they spend a fair amount of time on raising NIL funds for the players?  I thought that was very interesting.  So, now as a coach you have to recruit, train, mentor and raise money for your players to come to the Summit League.  How do they do that?  Are they contracting donors to raise NIL money.  Very strange for a coach to have to put his time into that.  

At the Power 5 level they most likely have a team working on NIL but at the smaller schools the coach is responsible for it.  You wonder how it goes over with the donors when the Coach reaches out to raise money for his players to get paid.