Breakout star

Keenan Henderson

With this topic, it is safe to say that ORU needs just about everyone to have a breakout season!

2 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

With this topic, it is safe to say that ORU needs just about everyone to have a breakout season!

Keenan I agree, but I don't think we need everyone to have breakout seasons so much as we need everyone to do their job. We know we have 3 guys who can play, after that everyone is a ?. IMHO our guys that want to be part of the rotation or get a starting spot have to show coach he can trust them. Go back to basics, the old plus-minus system, is the team more efficient and effective with you on the court? When you're in the game do you know where you're supposed to be on offense? when you sub in for someone do you know who your guarding? Are you communicating with your teammates? calling out screens and cutters. Are you doing the little things? You don't need to get every rebound, but are you boxing out, so your guy doesn't get an offensive rebound? Can coach trust you to not be a negative when you're on the court?

You want your time on the court to not have any rewinds! When the team watches game film the coaches have already watched it several times and have the plays they want to highlight noted, when you're on the court you want the film to just run, coaches will acknowledge good plays as the film runs, but they will stop and rewind, sometimes over and painfully over again, the negative plays! My advice to our guys that want to play for us this year... do the little things, keep the mistakes to a minimum and do your job!! 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2023 at 4:22 PM, ORob1 said:

Anyone been able to confirm Herron's health/status?

I'm gonna pull on this thread a little more...

Around a month ago, I noticed that on Instagram, Coach Mike Herrington posted on his story (only lasts for 24 hours and then deletes itself so I can't provide a link) a video of Sir Isaac in a game and it had "Speedy recovery for my guy @SirIssac_Herron" on it, which Sir Issac reposted.  Since then, I have seen no posts of Herron in any gear, or on the court at all.

Fast forward to today, and there are some awesome pictures taken of the team that all of the guys are posting on their personal Instagram accounts.  Sir Issac is reposting the rest of the team's posts with these pictures, but no post from him.  Upon further investigation, I don't even see Herron in the background of any of these pictures.  Does anyone know anything about his health/status?  Are we going to go another year wishing we had this guy??

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2023 at 9:59 AM, Keenan Henderson said:

Who is your breakout player for the 23-24 season?

Josh Jones.

Why?

Because somebody has to start at the 5 spot, and Sir Issac is missing valuable practice time with his latest injury.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Sir Issac.....geez.....dude is always hurt.....👎

I have a feeling we will see DJ Weaver at the five on opening night.  Coach Springmann may have to go with the small ball lineup, much like Mills did.  Hope I am wrong but could see this starting frontcourt: Thompson (SF), Williams (PF), and DJ at (C).  Rebounding and interior defense are going to be a question mark all season, just as it seems to be most years (minus Connor last season).

40 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

I have a feeling we will see DJ Weaver at the five on opening night.

DJ Weaver, while vastly improved, can not defend on the block.  He will give up point-blank shots and get in foul trouble.  Luke Appel at SDSU would drop 40 on him.

DJ is a perfect "4"; pick-and-pop screening out top with Issac Mcbride, and swooping in from the off-side wing on defense for blocks and rebounds.

And Williams is not starting material...yet.

Have heard that Jones is surprising people with his maturity and playing skills. Look for him (a freshman!) to possibly be in the starting lineup. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

On 10/9/2023 at 6:10 PM, ORUTerry said:

Have heard that Jones is surprising people with his maturity and playing skills. Look for him (a freshman!) to possibly be in the starting lineup. 

I heard from a staffer today the same thing about Josh Jones. What a pleasant surprise! If we can get  Sir Isaac healthy and Ashton playing well we will actually have some depth with our bigs. This could prove to be a difference maker and how well we do in our conference and post season.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

Heard again yesterday (second-or-third-hand, mind you, but an impeccable original source) that Josh Jones will be starting at the “5”, and is showing moxie beyond his years, though he’s still a little rough around the edges on the offensive end.

My current starting line-up guess:

1. Issac McBride
  2. Jalen Miller (vs. taller & more physical line-ups) or Trey Phipps (vs. smaller teams).
  3. Kareem Thompson
  4. DJ Weaver
  5. Josh Jones
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Hard to argue with that lineup. I think that Herron is back and can provide minutes in the post. We will need other guys to step up to give McBride, Thompson and Weaver rest. The first half of the season will be spent trying to find the right player combinations. 

• Upvote 3

I give Josh Jones credit, minutes were open at the five spot and he jumped in and grabbed them.  Good for him.  If he can rebound and play some defense then there are enough scorers around him that ORU will be alright.  UT Arlington has a good big man (Wilson) who averaged 11 points and 8 rebounds a game last year.  He really crashes the offensive boards so the Eagles will need Jones to slow him down on opening night.  I am hoping the freshman comes through.

3 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Heard again yesterday (second-or-third-hand, mind you, but an impeccable original source) that Josh Jones will be starting at the “5”, and is showing moxie beyond his years, though he’s still a little rough around the edges on the offensive end.

My current starting line-up guess:

1. Issac McBride
  2. Jalen Miller (vs. taller & more physical line-ups) or Trey Phipps (vs. smaller teams).
  3. Kareem Thompson
  4. DJ Weaver
  5. Josh Jones

Yes, I have heard that the freshman has earned a spot in the starting lineup.  It would be nice to get another inside-outside game going with McBride/Jones with a pass out to the wing for threes.

3 hours ago, ORUJason said:

Inside outside just like Obanor/Abmas or Rocky Walls/Tim Gill. 👍🏻

"Hold our beer."

- Caleb Green and Ken Tutt

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Bogus Smith said:

It would be nice to get another inside-outside game going with McBride/Jones with a pass out to the wing for threes.

When was the last time ORU had a true inside scoring threat & not a post player roaming the three point line?