Breakout star

Keenan Henderson

As we get closer to basketball season, only two months away!  Who is your breakout player for the 23-24 season?  Who will shine for the Eagles this season?

I would like to highlight DJ Weaver.  When they asked him why he came back for season 6 (sounds like a favorite tv show) he said that it was because he would be able to play his natural position all year long.  It sounds like the coaches promised him that he could be on the wing at the small forward spot. 

If we look back at his career: DJ was a small forward his freshman year and averaged 10 points. He looked like a future all star but then got injured and was moved to the center spot upon his return from a redshirt year.  Weaver was totally outmatched the past three seasons on the frontline and was often giving up 40 pounds to other bigs. 

DJ on the wing this year would help him to have a breakout year for the Eagles.  He can use his size and length to shoot 3s and mid range jumpers over smaller players.  He also is a good athlete and can drive for layups against smaller wings.   I hope it happens for him in year 6!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

DJ playing at his true position on the wing all depends on if Herron, Smith, & Jones can answer the bell on the block

So I would say the breakout player for this team is whoever can give the team quality minutes and rebounds in the post.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

As we get closer to basketball season, only two months away!  Who is your breakout player for the 23-24 season?  Who will shine for the Eagles this season?

Based on what at this stage - their roster photos?

Until we actually SEE any of the new guys play, I’m afraid we’re limited to Quija boards, Magic Eight Balls, tarot cards, and all other manner of mystical predictors we were warned about during Young Life meetings our sophomore years of high school (along with the dangers of backward lyrics on Led Zeppelin records and bodily contact of any kind during sock hop slow dances). 😉

• Haha 4
  • Upvote 2

Good to have you back OT!  I missed your comments.  The topic is just for fun, no need to contact the other world.

• Haha 1

Could Kareem and McBride be the best backcourt in the Summit League?  They should be if Kareem is that breakout star next year.  He has done everything in the last three years: rebound, be a playmaker, play tough defense and score when needed.   Oh yeah and his teams have won a lot of games (67-28).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Could Kareem and McBride be the best backcourt in the Summit League?  They should be if Kareem is that breakout star next year.  He has done everything in the last three years: rebound, be a playmaker, play tough defense and score when needed.   Oh yeah and his teams have won a lot of games (67-28).

They will be powerful. Hope they both stay healthy.

Josh Jones will be the biggest surprise to the good side, and Kareem will be the leading candidate for Most Improved player in the conference! (all conjecture)

• Upvote 2

Yeah TheEagleman is thinking Demari Williams....he looked really good is short spurts last season when he got a chance....appears to have skills....i think he's the Arizona State transfer.....looking forward to seeing Williams in the starting line up.....appears to be the kind of guy who can take it to the hoop.....ORU needs more of that....:circle-logoi:

• Upvote 3

Williams looks the part.  He has good size, athleticism and skill.  Never really got much of a chance last year because ORU had so much talent and experience.  He does have a nice mid range game and should be able to defend both post and wing players.  ORU has talent but it is just inexperienced.

Demari, along with 2-3 other guys, are in the mix to start on opening night.  It should make practices interesting this fall as guys are really battling to earn playing time, with 4 of the top 6 players leaving from last year's 30 win team.

• Like 1

IMHO this season will be one that requires a true team effort. With our top 3 returning scorers averaging 11, 9 & 7 last year, we need all 3 to improve their numbers but I don't think we'll have a 20ppg a night guy this year, it will probably be more like 15 to 17, 12-14 & 11-13 ppg for McBride, Kareem and DJ. Offensively, this will be a team that needs to execute, make the extra pass, set and use effectively good screens, have good shot selection and not turn the ball over. I think all of those 3 will have some big nights during the course of the season with a hot shooting night or a good match up they can exploit. Just as importantly, we will need our players that haven't gotten many minutes in the past and the new guys not to think they need to be big scorers right out of the gate and forcing up bad shots, but capable of hitting the open shots they get in the system and running the offense correctly and getting themselves in good spots where they can get some buckets and contribute. The best example of how to get minutes from my perspective for the guys that haven't played, and the new guys is easy, it's Patrick from last year's team. He came in and worked his butt off, played with great energy when he got in games, played tough as nails D and let the offense come. As the season progressed, his offense improved, he played starter minutes and contributed to every facet of the game. Don't force it guys, work hard and good things will happen individually and as a team!!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I think McBride and Kareem are the best backcourt in the conference. How good we can be depends on how good the frontcourt players are (assuming everyone stays healthy). 

3 hours ago, Idig32 said:

I think McBride and Kareem are the best backcourt in the conference. How good we can be depends on how good the frontcourt players are (assuming everyone stays healthy). 

I agree, we have 3 good players coming back, the cupboard isn't bare. But 3 players aren't enough, we need a 7-8 player rotation, so we need 4-5 players to step up. We have lost our margin for error; our first scoring option Max is gone, someone gets beat on D the 7'5" shot blocker behind you is gone, when the 3's aren't dropping and you want to post up and pound inside, our best post-up player Carlos is gone, and when we start sluggish and need bench energy off the bench Patrick is gone. Young players often want to make the big play... but we have to do the little things to be successful this year. We don't need guys to come in for 15 minutes and try to hit 4 three pointers and get 2 dunks, we need our guys to play 15 minutes and not have 3 turnovers and 2 fouls. Basketball is a game where the little things are so much more important than the big/exciting plays. The Eagles have a lot of questions this year, let's hope the guys who haven't played much, and the new guys step up like we need! 

• Upvote 6

ORU 40 you know the ins and outs of basketball.  Maybe Springmann needs an assistant in the near future!  Love the insights.

I like Miller from Rutgers.  He has some experience and faced talented players in practice for the last two years.  Jalen may not be an all star this year but I think he will be a great glue guy, somewhat like Carlos was the last 3 years.  Miller can defend, make the hustle plays and just do the dirty work. He may not get all the headlines but will help ORU win and be a tough out each night.  The Eagles need some Portal Power (3 players from Power 5 schools transferred) this season and it starts with Jalen Miller.

• Upvote 3

Back in 2020, Wichita State and ORU were among the 18 programs actively recruiting Jalen Miller. I'm glad he finally decided to transfer to ORU.

• Like 2

TheEagleman would be interested to hear comments on this topic from DarrenJ......he seems to always have marvelous insight......:shield-logo: